DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Does anyone use the mic holder built on the XA-20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/521651-does-anyone-use-mic-holder-built-xa-20-a.html)

Greenlee Brittenum February 13th, 2014 07:05 PM

Does anyone use the mic holder built on the XA-20

I have an issue if I use any kind of windscreen on a short shotgun in the factory holder. On a wide shot I see my dead cat. I think a hot shoe isolator might get me up and out of the shot.

Any thoughts or similar issues?

Andreas Jaeger February 14th, 2014 03:29 AM

Re: Does anyone use the mic holder built on the XA-20

Hello,

yes i have the same issue with my Roge NTG1.

What Microphone do you are using?
Pehaps an Rode MicHolder SM5 would help.
RDE Microphones - SM5

Sorry, english is not my native Language.

Brian David Melnyk February 14th, 2014 03:32 AM

I dislike the design of the xa10 mic holder, if it is the same...
I took it off and mounted a rode shock mount on a small ball head to the hot shoe.
Better noise isolation, easier to take off for packing, and you can fine tune the mic position out of frame.

Kawika Ohumukini February 14th, 2014 11:29 AM

I lost the screws, they're in my office somewhere, so I ended up rotating it 180 degrees, flipping sides to the camera and gaffer taping it to the top handle. I actually like it this way because it's more compact and less intimidating. It partially covers the front zoom buttons but I rarely use it anyway. I prefer the one on the back or the remote LANC. GL

Greenlee Brittenum February 14th, 2014 02:44 PM

AT875

I had not seen that device you recommended Andreas, that leaves the hot shoe open for something else. They are pricey. Will your short shotgun it in that after you get a big fuzzy windscreen on? There is only about three inches of my mic showing with the windscreen on.

Paul Inglis February 15th, 2014 07:17 AM

I use the microphone mount on my XA20 with a NTG1. I secure it with three O-Rings that allow me to have the WSVM windshield almost touching the mic holder. That stays out of the wide shots no problem. The O-Rings make the fit snug as well as serving as a quick guide to placing the mic in the holder.

I can place a DEADCAT over the WSVM windshield and that needs careful placement or it appears in the shot when shooting wide. What I have found is to place the seam horizontally and it just about stays out of the shot. Tilt it either way slightly and it’s in the shot.

The Rode deluxe windshield is longer so won’t work with this configuration.

I use the hotshoe for other things such as a receiver or an onboard light. I don’t have anything such as the J-Cube yet but I’m considering it.

One thing I have been using is a Rycote Softie Lyre Mount in the microphone holder which moves the shotgun back an inch and solves my issues but does add bulk to the XA20. I’m also worried about someone catching it and snapping the microphone holder.

Back in the day when I had a Sony EX-3 I replaced the mic holder with a J-Rod Twin which allowed a Receiver and shotgun to be mounted. Unfortunately it won’t fit the XA20 and I can’t find one that does.

Craig Chartier May 1st, 2014 09:10 PM

also remember you need a spacer to firmly keep the RODE or any small barrel shotgun mic in proper place on any mic holder found on most camcorders. SONY or Canon, makes no diff. the manufacture must make the holder large enough to comply with the largest barrel sizes made. You simply need a 14$ mic spacer made by sony to properly snug any smaller diameter mic into the holder of this camera. the RODE does not interfere with the lens when the spacer is used.

Don Palomaki May 2nd, 2014 05:38 AM

Quote:

...also remember you need a spacer...
I've used gaffer tape wrapped on the Rode mic barrel to make it fit. O-rings are a low cost solution. If they did not come with the mic (the AT-875 had them) they are available at most auto parts stores, (or a few hundred assorted sizes for $5 in a kit at Harbor Freight).

Rainer Listing May 2nd, 2014 03:55 PM

I use a piece of tube padding as a spacer and keep the screws screwed in even when the mic isn't there to stop losing them.

Stephen Dey May 3rd, 2014 04:09 AM

I use a piece of 2mm thick rubber cut to size around my Rode mic.

Got a small piece of 2mm rubber sheet off eBay for £2, in the first instance I did try 1mm thick, but found that was too loose, when cut to size and fitted it looks no different to the Sony mic spacer which sells for between £9 - £15 here in the UK.

When the rode is used and fitted with the deadcat, I don't have a problem.

Richard D. George May 7th, 2014 07:17 AM

I use the Rycoye mic isolation system the attaches to the hot shoe. It has an articulating arm. Use it with a Rode NTG-1 and windscreens. To me, it has two advantages - much better isolation, and it provides distance away from the lens.

I also use a Remote Audio coiled XLR cable with a 90 Degree connection on one end. Very helpful