DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   XA20 Composite Video Output disabled when HDMI is connected??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/522864-xa20-composite-video-output-disabled-when-hdmi-connected.html)

Joe Holt April 20th, 2014 08:33 AM

XA20 Composite Video Output disabled when HDMI is connected???

Greetings all,

I have been shooting with a XA20 for about a month now and am beginning to get used to the camera but I have one little gripe. I shoot a lot of high school sporting events where I record to the card and stream the footage via the hdmi out. The action is pretty fast and so I prefer to use a 7" external monitor with a hood and rear op controls on the tripod. Unfortunately, I cannot utilize a 2nd video output via the composite out when the HDMI is connected. I've searched through the manual and cannot find a way to activate both outputs simultaneously. Does anyone have a suggestion for either a workaround or did I miss something. My XL2s used to only allow one video output either via the bnc connector or the rca connectors so I used a splitter back then to get 2 outputs. Is there such a thing as an HDMI splitter? Thanks! Joe

Ed Roo April 20th, 2014 09:07 AM

Re: XA20 Composite Video Output disabled when HDMI is connected???

Amazon.com: Sewell Direct SW-8876 Ibis - 2x1 or 1x2 HDMI Bi-Directional Switch with HDCP Passthrough: Electronics

Don Palomaki April 21st, 2014 05:52 AM

Are you looking for a 1:2 Splitter or a 2:1 HDMI switch or a converter to composite video with HDMI pass-thru?
I've not tried any of these products - they are a sampling that many items on the market. Read the specs carefully to be sure you get what you need to work with your setup.

1:2 HDMI splitter
Amazon.com: OREI HD-102 1x2 1 Port HDMI Powered Splitter Ver 1.3 Certified for Full HD 1080P & 3D Support (One Input To Two Outputs): Electronics

HDMI to composite video
Amazon.com: Mini HDMI to 3RCA Composite AV Converter for TV/PC/PS3/Blue-ray DVD, White: Electronics

Joe Holt April 21st, 2014 06:04 AM

1:2 HDMI splitter is what I need. Thanks for the links. I need to send output from the camera's Mini HDMI to 2 destinations.
1). laptop for streaming
2). 7" monitor (monitor does not have a pass through)

Anthony Lelli May 18th, 2014 02:48 AM

a splitter will do . which laptop are you using for streaming? I'm having lots of problem with a lenovo z510 because the USB 3.0 is not really 3.0 and not fully compatible with blackmagic.. anyway could you share what you are using ?