DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon Vixia HF G40 reviews? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/531223-canon-vixia-hf-g40-reviews.html)

Eugen Brinzoiu February 21st, 2016 09:11 AM

Canon Vixia HF G40 reviews?

Can't find a real review with some test footage for the HF G40.
Only BH have one but it's kind of a "rushed" review I must say.
Anybody found more in depth reviews?
Thanks

Jerry Mennenga April 1st, 2016 11:12 AM

Re: Canon Vixia HF G40 reviews?

I do not speak German, but found this review online with some footage. Can only guess that if the G40 and XA35 have the same sensor the recorded image should be similar....

Jerry

Eugen Brinzoiu April 2nd, 2016 03:20 AM

Thanks Jerry
Now it's too late.
I went for the Sony cx900.
Cheaper and .....everything else .

Jerry Mennenga April 3rd, 2016 05:10 PM

Eugen,

You are welcome. I opted for the G40 after finding some more reviews and actual footage put up on YouTube. I liked the f/1.8-2.8 aperture settings all the way through and the 20X optical zoom. I shoot a little for a small diocean newspaper and the faster aperture will help me a lot. Also liked all the function buttons I can set.

I currently have a c100 that I really like, but the Image stabilization this camera has will help a lot shooting in cathedrals.

Best in your endeavors.

Jerry

Eugen Brinzoiu April 4th, 2016 12:43 AM

Thanks Jerry

Bryan Worsley June 12th, 2016 09:23 AM

I must say, I'm a bit surprised that the HF-G40 hasn't created more of a stir. Why is that ? Because it's not 4K?

The number of of customer reviews on B&H has rocketed to just six and I've yet to see any in-depth "hands-on" technical/performance reviews. A few more user videos have started to appear on YouTube and Vimeo but I've yet to see any comparisons with the HF-G30 or "flagship" models of the other brands. Not even a promo video from Canon, that I can find at least, that demonstrates the performance benefits of the upgraded sensor and the new Wide DR and Highlight Priority modes.

Which is a shame, as I'm contemplating upgrading from my Canon HF-G10 and pondering whether to go for an HF-G30 or wait for prices to come down (in Canada) on the HF-G40 if the new features are worth waiting for. I am of course also considering the competition and have been rigorously scrutinizing what raw (unedited) footage I have been able to source from different models. But I can't find anything from the HF-G40.

Jerry, or any other HF-G40 owners looking in, any possibility of uploading (say on Vimeo) some raw clips, ideally shot under conditions that demonstrate the Wide DR and Highlight Priority features ?

Hey Eugen, you're just down the road from me. I'm out on the West Island near Vaudreuil.

Don Palomaki June 12th, 2016 03:40 PM

Any local stores stock it? Do they let you hands on in the store?
If so, take a SDHC card with you and shoot what you can in the store as a test?
And maybe try it in another camcorder for comparison later at your work station.

Bryan Worsley June 12th, 2016 06:06 PM

Good suggestion. "Local" for me is Best Buy and they didn't have a demo HF-G40 on display last time I checked. But Lozeau (Montreal's equivalent of B&H) have it in store. I'll call in with an SDHC card at the ready next time I'm in the city.

Still, it would be nice to hear of others experience with the HF-G40, especially those who may have upgraded from earlier HF-GXX line models.

Jerry Mennenga June 14th, 2016 09:20 PM

Bryan,

Hey. Here is a link to a website that I do some video for, The Catholic Globe. Catholic Globe

The last three videos, college president retires, stem school at the college for junior high kids and the four guys becoming permanent deacons was all shot with the G40. Trying to post raw footage is tough. I have extremely slow web connection through a local provider.

All was shot with wide DR and I did sharpening and some color correction. I also adjusted contrast or brightness levels too. I am a newspaper guy by background so I just deal with what I have unless it is a sit down interview and I can add a light. The Cathedral the four guys were ordained in is not totally dark, but there probably is 2-3 stops difference between the altar and where the congregation sits. The wide dr is flat, and gives the ability to "juice" up the image a bit, that is add contrast and color correct. Sometimes I do auto levels. I am shooting stills while I am also doing video.

I like the camera. It doesn't have the dynamic range of the c100 I had, but I like the optical 20X zoom, the fast 2.8 constant aperture and its light weight. Also, the touch screen and the ability to go in and quickly make adjustments either through the screen or function buttons are great. The stabilization works well. Most movement you see in these videos are operator error as I was learning the camera while working.

I also like the face detect which helps keep focus. For the cost, and since I am only doing web-based projects for this diocese newspaper, it works well for me and gives me what I need at a more affordable price.

When shooting in the cathedral for events I use a Sound Designs pre Mix-D and wirelessly run the audio to a Sennheiser receiver through the 3.5 mic plug in. I purchased a Beach Tek to use when I first got it, but kept getting a hissing noise that I could not make go away. So I dropped my xlr stuff and went with the 3.5 mic jacks. I get decent sound. I also bought the Canon mic (DM-100) that plugs into the "special hotshot" on the camera. That was the mic I used for the stem school piece and also for the retiring school president. I work in Premiere Pro CS6 and did what I could in Audition to clean the sound up a bit.

I like the camera and have good results with it. But that is in the eye of the beholder. Hope this helps.

Jerry Mennenga
Sioux City, Iowa

Eugen Brinzoiu June 15th, 2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Worsley (Post 1916287)
I must say, I'm a bit surprised that the HF-G40 hasn't created more of a stir. Why is that ? Because it's not 4K?

The number of of customer reviews on B&H has rocketed to just six and I've yet to see any in-depth "hands-on" technical/performance reviews. A few more user videos have started to appear on YouTube and Vimeo but I've yet to see any comparisons with the HF-G30 or "flagship" models of the other brands. Not even a promo video from Canon, that I can find at least, that demonstrates the performance benefits of the upgraded sensor and the new Wide DR and Highlight Priority modes.

Which is a shame, as I'm contemplating upgrading from my Canon HF-G10 and pondering whether to go for an HF-G30 or wait for prices to come down (in Canada) on the HF-G40 if the new features are worth waiting for. I am of course also considering the competition and have been rigorously scrutinizing what raw (unedited) footage I have been able to source from different models. But I can't find anything from the HF-G40.

Jerry, or any other HF-G40 owners looking in, any possibility of uploading (say on Vimeo) some raw clips, ideally shot under conditions that demonstrate the Wide DR and Highlight Priority features ?

Hey Eugen, you're just down the road from me. I'm out on the West Island near Vaudreuil.

Happy to hear from you Bryan from the beautiful West Island area.
Not too many fellow Canadians here

Bryan Worsley June 15th, 2016 10:36 PM

Jerry

Thanks for the video links and taking the time to share your experience with the HF-G40. Much appreciated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Mennenga (Post 1916443)
All was shot with wide DR and I did sharpening and some color correction.

I'd been reading up a bit on Wide DR gamma on the C100 and seeing this comment in an earlier forum thread was wondering whether Wide DR mode on the HF-G40 also applies these "sharpening/detail enhancements" and exhibits higher noise levels?

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-ci...ml#post1811263

That's something I'd definitely want to look at as and when I can get my hands on an HF-G40 to test out. It's interesting though that you found need to sharpen in post.

I'm actually quite happy with the default level of sharpness on the HF-G10 and, as a general rule, only apply a little selective sharpening in post if noise levels in darker scenes have needed some attention, just to bring back some detail where possible. So I'm keen to learn if noise levels are also higher in Wide DR mode on the HF-G40. Having the option of a flatter baseline profile for stylized grading is one thing, but if it's at the expense of having to live or deal with added noise, I'm not sure I'd find it that helpful. One of the reasons why I don't use Cinema Mode on the HF-G10 is because after applying the needed dose of gain and contrast to "bring it to life" in post, the noise levels are well up, not to mention posterization of skin tones.

Edit: Was just looking at a download of the HF-G40 User Manual. I was interested to see if the Wide DR and Highlight Priority modes are fixed "effects", but, if I'm not mistaken, it appears that it is still possible to make manual Picture adjustments (Contrast, Color Depth, Sharpness, Brightness) in these alternate "Look" modes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Mennenga (Post 1916443)
I also bought the Canon mic (DM-100) that plugs into the "special hotshot" on the camera.

Yes, I also have a DM-100 that I use on the HF-G10. Great little mic; convenient and very versatile. Even have a custom Rycote Softie Windjammer for it - a little fiddly to fit in the "moment", but far, far better than the stock fur that comes with the DM-100. It's one of the reasons why I'm inclined to go for an HF-G40 (or HF-G30).

Cheers.

Bryan Worsley June 15th, 2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugen Brinzoiu (Post 1916520)
Happy to hear from you Bryan from the beautiful West Island area.
Not too many fellow Canadians here

Thanks Eugen. Well technically I'm not Canadian yet. I'm a Brit married to a Quebecoise. Still struggling with my French. The kids put me to shame - both perfectly bilingual.

Cheers.

Jerry Mennenga June 16th, 2016 11:39 AM

Bryan,

Glad I could help a bit. I am not so wonky with video, as I am with stills. I use the G40 pretty much straight out of the box. Since I am stills guy by background, I understand ISO (ASA) better than gain. When I said the war. The c100 is better, I actually meant the higher ISO capabilities. The image was always flat and I was able to tweak it in post. The image for the G40 is flat too, and as you can see in the videos I could tweak it to a bit of contrast and adjust levels, etc. I always use an unmask sharpening of 3 on my clips if it is not a sit down interview. Then I use a 2 level for radius. To my eye it works. Whether right or wrong, it's how I see.

After doing a bit of reading like you, I saw the G40 would give me useable results for my needs. It is small, has a 20X optical zoom which I haven't seen since the XA H1 (?) that was tape, and has a fixed 2.8 throughout the zoom range. The stabilization is a plus too. So far I have been very pleased as I mentioned. I liked the c100 but the need for a longer fixed and fast zoom was necessary for me since I never know where sometimes I will be shooting. And with some different tweaks, using auto level and sometimes adding .3 for black or .4 for white I get results I like. I have no look, just trying to clean it up a bit. Maybe I find the G40 tends to go warm or yellow a bit compared to what I got from the c100.

All he other samples I saw online were people shooting outdoors and in fairly good light, or light with some contrast, night scenes. The camera is affordable and practical.

Best in your endeavors.

Jerry

Bryan Worsley June 16th, 2016 07:02 PM

Thanks again Jerry for your insights.