HF G40 question - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old October 9th, 2017, 11:15 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: HF G40 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baker View Post
. By the time the fur is cut to avoid intrusion, the thing is much less effective. I guess it's why Rycote didn't go ahead.
That was the reasoning for the draw-string closure, that it could be easily loosened to access the shotgun/stereo switch, in addition to making it easier to fit the fur over the bulky foam sleeve. The greater issue was incomplete coverage of that short rear stub of 'active' microphone tube with the ultra-low density foam foam, and the production costs involved in solving that. They just felt that it wasn't viable economically, given the likely low demand and what people might be prepared to pay for it. In addition, they were embroiled in the launch of the Cyclone range and really didn't have the time to spend on developing it further. Anyhow, my modification - the piece of HVAC foam cut to cover that rear section - works well. Some consideration was given to a more conventional Windjammer with a layer of higher density foam incorporated in the fur lining, as some of their Mini Windjammer's have, but it would likely have been much less effective. Creating adequate dead-air space between the fur and capsules is a major factor.

Last edited by Bryan Worsley; October 9th, 2017 at 06:46 PM.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 01:27 AM   #32
Major Player

It really isn't a practical proposition. Beside the practicality of getting adequate cover to effectively cut wind noise, there is also the problem of the different hot shoe positioning on the camera models. From the fur-in-frame problem of the HF S100, shoe well forward, to it hitting my head on the HF G30 which has the shoe near the back (as you well know!), remember I use the EVF almost always, it just doesn't work for me. Maybe if there was a pillar extension.................
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 03:10 AM   #33
Major Player

I have got round these sort of problems in the past using the relatively cheap Smallrig components. These are available from Amazon in the UK.

Even cheaper can be making a bracket to shift the position of the microphone using aluminium strip off-cuts, with a purchased cold shoe - I am fortunate that I always have a range of these bits available. Otherwise, again ithe UK, B&Q or Screwfix have a range of Al extrusions in stock.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 03:57 AM   #34
Major Player

Those sort of DIY things won't work for the DM-100, it's a dedicated hot shoe mike.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:10 AM   #35
Major Player

As I mentioned in the other thread I referred to above, there is now a battery powered, wired 'cold shoe' incarnation of the DM-100 - the DM-E1:

Rode VideoMic Pro+ vs Rode Stereo VideoMic Pro for weddings

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...icrophone.html

Appears to be aimed at Canon EOS shooters - why does everything have to be DSLR driven these days ? (Yes, I know, it's the future)

Looks to be the same basic tube design as the DM-100 (length 130mm) but with the tube brought further forward on the mount. It also comes with a stock fur windshield. If it's the same one as supplied with the DM-100 I'm wondering now if Canon did make some modifications to the design for better compatibility with both models. Is that maybe why Steve finds the fur supplied with his newly purchased DM-100 fits well with no gaps. Pure speculation.

I would also assume that this model functions like any other external microphone and allows the Low Cut filter option to be selected on the HF-G30/40. Again, needs verification.
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders