XA30 video issues not good at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old January 15th, 2018, 12:11 PM   #1
Major Player

XA30 video issues not good

I recently purchased an xa30 and used it over the holidays for the first time to video a Christmas program. After getting the footage transfered and put on the vegas video timeline. I noticed the video would glitch. when I rendered the video it put a green glitch on the video. There are some samples. Is this a common problem with xa30 camcorder is do you think my camera has an issue that needs to be addressed with canon? It has been a headache dealing with this because when I think I have it all fixed I find another problem and have to re render again. Very disappointed with this especially since its a brand new camcorder. Does anyone else have this issue?
Attached Files
File Type: mpg original footage.mpg (1.08 MB, 177 views)
File Type: mpg rendered footage.mpg (887.5 KB, 132 views)
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 01:06 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XA30 video issues not good

I've not seen anything like that from my XA series camcorders. Have you seen it often with your camcorder? Does it show up if you play the original file in the camcorder or with another program such as VLC (not the transferred copy of the file)? At the same point in the video? Are there multiple glitches in the video? Do you see it on other memory cards?

The original footage looks like a read error, possibly a problem with the memory card or the transfer to the CP. The rendered footage green is probably what the NLE did when it hit the error in the file to deal with the issue.
Old January 15th, 2018, 02:08 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Did you use the Pixela transfer software or just grab the files off the card ? I do not have this camera but am interested .
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Major Player

FWIW, I think this may be the result of the camcorder hitting the ~2GB file limit when writing the file, it the switches to a new file and you can get this green frame. If you still have the files on the card, look in the AVCHD folder and drill down until you find the .mts files and see if they play with a green frame at the front, where they are a continuation of the previous footage.

I get this issue with my Canon Legria HF200's, but I have three of them running and make sure I start them about 15 seconds apart so the green frames never overlap. I can them cut around them easily in the multicam edit.
Old January 16th, 2018, 06:42 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I think if you use the Pixela software it will stitch together without a problem just like several other transfer software but they need the metadata in the folder to do that. Straight files are not enough. That is why with mny Sony AVCHD cameras I always use the Sony transfer software.
Old January 16th, 2018, 07:50 AM   #6
Wrangler

FWIW: I often use the DOS COPY command to concatenate files split at the 2 GB point. Some NLEs can do this as well if they are sued to import the file. But I don't know abut Vegas.
Old January 16th, 2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Vas Re: XA30 video issues not good

I think Vegas can do if it has the full directory structure to work from. The issue is that the files do not always have in sync audio and video and the meta data tells the transfer software where that data happens to be . Simplistically the audio and video do not line up in each file. One can be longer than the other and the transfer software sorts this out but just copying files either leaves a loss of audio or video at some points. At least that is my understanding.
Old January 25th, 2018, 11:28 AM   #8
Trustee

I haven't seen anything like that from my XA10 or XA20 cameras, except once when, despite taking precautions against static electricity on a very static filled day I sparked to the XA10 near the end of a long interview.
It was several days before I was able to copy the footage and I had to use Recuva software to save the long take from total loss. Even then, the final interview answer was lost and there was an artifact that looked like that in the middle of the frame (but a lot worse) and nothing could be recovered after that point.

It could also be a simple bad memory card error or unsuitable card for that data rate.

Generally speaking, I've had more trouble with the manufacturor's software not performing correctly when transferring long files. This was especially true from my XF300, where I found Vegas Pro was better at simply handling the files but using the Canon software to transfer caused glitches.

Also with the XA20 and XA30 you can shoot in either AVCHD or MP4.

I use a file joiner program for the AVCHD and just let Vegas Pro 12 handle the MP4 files directly. I've never had a problem with either of those methods and in most cases I didn't maintain the recording file structure, just copied the individual recorded files from the card to my computer.

Give us more information on your original file recording settings and how the transfer was accomplished and we can make some more suggestions.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2018, 09:29 PM   #9
Major Player

I copied the files directly from the sd card. Just found the files when I inserted card into my pc card reader then cut paste to my hd. I did order anther sd card as a backup. So is it possible to start recording at different times on the two cards? I will be shooting another program this weekend so hopefully it will go off with out a glitch.
Old February 16th, 2018, 07:45 AM   #10
Inner Circle

As I mentioned before let the Pixela software or even Vegas transfer the files from the card NOT Windows explorer. It may work for small files of a few minutes but will likely fail for long clips. Why the resistance to using software that works?
Old February 16th, 2018, 09:08 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:
So is it possible to start recording at different times on the two cards?
Yes. Be sure the camcorder is turned off when you insert or remove cards. With two cards in the camcorder at the same time there are several options covered in the manual but that is beyond the scope of this post.

Did you resolve the glitch you had? A problem is that in a long shot (more that 2 GB of video) the camcorder creates one or more continuation files. The first file in the sequence has the header information for the video clip. The continuation files for that clip do not have the header information, so the NLE gets confused if the files were not imported from the SD card by the NLE or other software that understand this (e.g., Pixela) or the files otherwise recombined on a system that can deal with the larger fiels

The amount of video you can fit into a single 2 GB file will depend on the data rate you have selected. 24 Mbps will reach the 2 GB file size limit in roughly 10 minutes.
Old February 19th, 2018, 02:51 AM   #12
Major Player

I have a dance recital that I captured and will be transferring tomorrow. I will use Vegas to complete that transfer and hope for the best. Will post my result.
Old February 21st, 2018, 12:03 PM   #13
Major Player

I transfered files from my camcorder using vegas and it resolved the issue. I have been editing that recital and have not come across a glitch yet. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. Now I can continue using my cam and not worry about video issues.
Lalo Alvidrez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders