Canon HF G30 Cinema Mode - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old April 8th, 2018, 07:49 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: Canon HF G30 Cinema Mode

Update

I just found this on the Nvidia forum and judging from the number of complaints, this is a very common problem
Quote:
I just got a $2200 MSI laptop (GS73 Stealth Pro 4K) with a "gorgeous" and "calibrated" IPS panel, GTX1060 and, of course, the banding is so heavy that the laptop is unusable. Even the default MSI desktop background shows wide bands of various grays instead of a gradient, every Youtube video is screwed, I tried:
- installing a fresh copy of Windows 10
- installing Ubuntu
- installing various versions of Nvidia and Intel graphics drivers
- booting into the safest possible mode
Nothing, the banding is the same, visible even in natural images (on each sky)
Strangely enough, knowing I'm not the only one is not particularly comforting!

Someone has posted a possible fix entailing the contrast setting. The trouble is, if I install the driver and this doesn't work, I've got another few hours work to put it right again.

Edit: I did try it, it doesn't work. Odd that it works better with the Linux driver than the Nvidia one.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2018, 10:36 AM   #32
Major Player

Does changing the dithering 'depth' in the NVIDIA settings utility help at all ? As per:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/5957...drivers-gt750m
Bryan Worsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2018, 12:45 PM   #33
Major Player

In a word, no. I tried that before, although not for the right reason, then.

Looking closely at the offending footage, there is a lot of noise in the sky which just isn't there in MM footage. I will have to compare similar clips shot in Mediterranean conditions in both modes to see what the difference is, but I doubt I will be shooting in Cinema Mode in those conditions again. Whether I shall ever use it again I can't say, but the option is there now the problem has been discovered.
Old April 9th, 2018, 07:36 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baker View Post
In a word, no. I tried that before, although not for the right reason, then.
Thought you probably had.
Old April 10th, 2018, 12:37 AM   #35
Major Player

For some reason, any colour control settings I make in the Nvidia settings window and confirm, do not hold and there is a warning that colour settings are made elsewhere, meaning the KDE Display settings. Neither Dithering nor Contrast (Nvidia window, they are not in the KDE settings) made any tangible difference.

By way of an update, I had some other display problems and had to re-enable the graphics card in BIOS. I found some similar shots to the ones that show banding on the laptop display, all shot in Manual Mode, from old projects. As I have found a quicker way to install or remove the Nvidia driver, involving a reboot each time, I reinstalled it and examined the footage. There is banding showing in all of them, although not quite as bad. Remove the driver, gone!

Something I forgot to mention, when I install the Nvidia driver all fonts increase in size by several points. There are times I wish I'd stuck to my older, slower tower.:-(
Old April 10th, 2018, 08:54 AM   #36
Major Player

As I understand, the principal reason why the proprietary NVIDIA driver is 'recommended' is because it accesses the full OpenGL functionality of the card, which may be required by Linux applications that use OpenGL extensively and/or to run certain Windows applications on Wine.

If the NVIDIA driver is proving so problematic and you don't notice impaired performance or functionality (otherwise) with the Linux applications you are running (KDenLive, Cinelerra etc), why not stick with the Nouveau driver ?
Old April 10th, 2018, 10:47 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
If the NVIDIA driver is proving so problematic and you don't notice impaired performance or functionality (otherwise) with the Linux applications you are running (KDenLive, Cinelerra etc), why not stick with the Nouveau driver ?
That's what I'm doing. I've only re-installed the Nvidia driver to do some tests, removing it afterwards each time.

I've abandoned Kdenlive, Cinelerra is doing what I want it to. It can be set to use OpenGL, how I run it, but I have seen no performance hit without the Nvidia driver.

I normally use the laptop hooked up to an external display and the banding doesn't show up on it, suggesting what Don says about laptop displays is correct. The only reason I'm fighting this is because I want to do some laptop editing when away from home, as I said. I'm just so pleased it isn't the camera.
Old April 10th, 2018, 11:54 AM   #38
Wrangler

The sort of good (glass is half full) news is that you can do a lot of basic editing even with the funky displays in the laptop. You just have to find a good system display for the finer work like color grading.
Old April 12th, 2018, 10:44 AM   #39
Major Player

Where I finish up is, I must have the Nvidia driver installed in order to get the external display to work when plugged in (HDMI) and also to control the laptop screen when the lid is closed (as it needs to be when using the external display or it gets in the way), otherwise when re-opened it stays blank. Now I know how to relatively quickly install or remove the driver, it's a simple job to remove it if I wish to edit using the laptop screen when away.

Knowing there is nothing amiss with the camera other than the extra noise in Cinema Mode, I think I have a relatively good outcome. Thanks all!
Old May 4th, 2018, 04:38 AM   #40
Major Player

I thought I would resurrect this thread to give you an update.

Having been playing with the offending clips for the last few weeks, sad I know, I just couldn't get a satisfactory result. As my other laptop has a similar specification, bought to be able to edit video if my old PC died, I decided to swap them over. While it also has an Nvidia GPU (GTX 960M) it can output to an external monitor without the Nvidia driver installed.

The reason I persisted is, while in Tenerife a short while ago I took the opportunity to shoot some varied test shots side by side, in Manual Mode with various settings and customised Cinema Mode Standard. On the whole I preferred the finished CM clips. So, if I could sort out those difficult clips, easy ones should be no problem.

After the swap I can get very satisfactory results from (what used to be) the problem clips. Now I can see things clearly I find if I change the effects I use for CC in Cinelerra and change my modus operandi a little, things improve a lot.

Once again, thanks for your help.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders