Canon XC10 vs Sony RX10 II at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XC Series UHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XC Series UHD Camcorders
All about the Canon XC10 and XC15 4K hybrid stills / video camera.

Old June 11th, 2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon XC10 vs Sony RX10 II

What do you all think about the new Sony RX10 II as it compares with the XC10 -- realizing everything is based on specs. Both 1" 4K. Canon has C-log which I love. Zoom 24-200 fixed 2.8 on Sony vs. 24-241 on Canon but variable aperture up to 5.6. Canon has 120 fps, Sony up to 960 fps but lower res. etc... Sony about $1300 less.

Anyway, I was seriously thinking about Canon, now not so sure. What do you all think?
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon XC10 vs Sony RX10 II

I think it all depends on what you need your camera for. For me it's a no-brainer mainly because the new RX10 will cost only about half the Canon's though I suspect the Canon would be a superior camera, judging solely from the IQ. The lack of a log gamma mode in the Sony would be compensated for to some extent by the availability of the in-camera image profile settings if my experience with the RX10 Mk1 is any indication. The cost of shooting with the Canon is far too high for my line of work and not necessary considering the lighting equipment I already have. Not just the camera (2x) but the storage (C-Fast) and those crazy high bit rates that will take up a lot more space in my workflow, more time to execute, etc. They just won't cut it in view of the fast improving competition.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2015, 10:41 PM   #3
Major Player

Good points. I forgot about the cost of cfast cards.
Steve Kimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2015, 01:02 AM   #4
Major Player

On Paper the Sony RX10 11 has much more to offer than the Canon XC10 at a far lower price point but the Canon camera might well produce far more solid images due to the higher bitrate, 200mbs or 300mbs and the 4.2.2 profile.

I got my hands on the Canon XC10 the other day was actually quite taken by its form factor and weight. The menu system is easy to navigate and very familiar to anyone used to the Canon Cinema range of cameras . And that's who I think will be the main users of this camera as it is able to provide the Canon Log setting.

It's a very simple camera, and again that might well appeal to some who really don't want all the features offered by the Sony RX10 11. The lens has a longer reach that the Sony going up to 240mm but it has a split aperture of 2.8 to 5.6, compared to the Sony's fixed 2.8. One can work around this by setting the Iris at 5.6 and raising the ISO.

Where the Sony camera really leaps ahead though is with its very detailed viewfinder. The Canon XC10 does not have one and is providing a plastic loupe to hook on when working in bright light. This is not great. The Sony camera also offers a far wider range of slo-mo options if that's your cup of tea.

I'm a C300 owner, aiming to upgrade to the C300 MK 2, and am inclined towards sticking with Canon as I dip my toes in the 4K experience but will wait until these camera are released to make my final decision. At the moment there is very little Canon XC10 footage to look at.

However if I'm honest the Sony RX10 11 is a far more sophisticated offering.
Mark Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I bet more than a few XC10 pre-orders will be cancelled this week after comparing the specs and price since the RX10 II pre-orders start on Wednesday.
Joe Ogiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 10:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm only thinking out loud here, but it seems that the cameras might be less alike then they seem.

The RX10mII is another of Sony's 1" offerings, and footage I've seen from those cameras, while very detailed, is also generic and electronic looking...very utilitarian. Qualitatively, it's not that different from what I'm used to seeing from my 3MOS Panasonic equipment, just with many more pixels and a much better lens. The RX10mII does have S-Log2 (and a new sensor), but I'm not sure how much that will help with the limited dynamic range I'm used to seeing from cameras like the AX100 and X70. Sony's promo video for the RX10mII looks surprisingly familiar in that respect.

Just for laughs (and to get it out of my system), I rented a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, and though I've only started toying around with it, the files it produces really do have a filmic feel that I absolutely want in my next camera. But, dear god, what a nightmare to operate.

Which brings me to the XC10. Based on the remarkably small number of samples I've seen, it produces something akin to the BMPCC, but (maybe) in a much more user-friendly, self-contained package. I'm also curious to see if the in-camera oversampling for HD 60p is as good as they claim. Again, no real samples are out there, so this might be wishful thinking.

Then again, for the price of an XC10 and a 128GB CFast 2.0 card, I could get a refurbished A7S and wait for the PIX-E5H. Or a 4K Ninja Star, which, the way things are moving, will probably appear sooner than later.
Kris Kohuth is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XC Series UHD Camcorders