DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/472115-canons-new-50mbps-mpeg-2-full-hd-4-2-2-codec.html)

Joachim Hoge March 15th, 2010 12:09 PM

Exciting.
To me, the 2 most important things they have to work out to make this worthwhile is a manual focus ring and a "proper" viewfinder.
Those 2 factors where what made me sell my XL-H1 the day the EX-3 came out.
The H1 produced stunning pictures, specially the winter action sports I shot with it were great, but when the light level were low I had no way of controlling focus and I shoot manual 99% of the time.

The bottom line is the EX-3 made me jump ship after years with Canon, but i doubt the new Canon would make me jump back. They just took too long.

I hope they come out with something that might have me consider the camera though, nothing like a bit of competition.

Graham Bernard March 15th, 2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 1499878)
They just took too long.

- Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 1499878)
I hope they come out with something that might have me consider the camera though, nothing like a bit of competition.

- Yes again.

Grazie

Steve Phillipps March 15th, 2010 03:40 PM

Joachim, I mentioned exactly those 2 things myself, very very important. The VF on the EX3, for a small camera is really really good, same with the manual focus and iris.
Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Steve

Joachim Hoge March 16th, 2010 02:07 AM

Steve, you are certainly right about the EX-3 viewfinder.
Itīs interesting to see how Sony now has a high-end color viewfinder for the XDCAM HD 700 camera. It is truly great and I find itīs a pain to go back to B/W viewfinders.

Iīm sure canon comes out with something good, they certainly knows how to make great glass.

But as said before I think they lost a few customers waiting this long to come out with a solid state camera.

Buba Kastorski March 16th, 2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 1500190)
I think they lost a few customers waiting this long to come out with a solid state camera.

hey, it's never too late, just make sensor 2/3", or better yet APS-C - I'll switch just like that :)

Jim Martin March 17th, 2010 01:33 PM

Remember, one person's perfect camera is another's something to complain about. It will be a really good camera with a great codec and, while it migh not be perfect to everyone, it will be another great tool at our disposal. I look forward to seeing it at NAB.......if its there!

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com

Monday Isa March 17th, 2010 07:21 PM

Well I understand this camera maybe of no interest to some, but I can't wait to sell my current XHA1 for it. To be able to record solid state without the need to transcode, and finally have a lens that will focus while zooming and have crisp LCD image. I'm wide awake and waiting in line.

Michael Galvan March 17th, 2010 08:10 PM

And here we are seeing what Jim said just in bright lights using 0DB gain!

I too am awaiting what this camera will be (the XL version of it).