DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/472115-canons-new-50mbps-mpeg-2-full-hd-4-2-2-codec.html)

David Heath February 3rd, 2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 1481285)
You know, I've sort of wondered at times, why Sony didn't take essentially a DVCAM approach (faster tape transport speed) and offer what amounts to recording XDCAM EX on MiniDV tape, ......

It's not as simple as that. DVCAM has a 50% higher linear speed, but everything else stays the same, all the speed increase does is give guard bands between the tracks to allow the possibility of insert editing on tape and better machine-machine compatibility.

To record the higher data rate to tape would require extra heads on an already small head drum. Possible, but likely to be expensive. Which is, I suspect, why the tape deck on the HVX200 was limited to 25Mbs and couldn't record DVCPro50 or DVCProHD.

Chris Hurd February 3rd, 2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyle Root (Post 1481322)
My thought was, it was just a rough mock up with the possibility of design changes still a reality.

I don't think so -- I'm confident that this is the final design, and there won't be any deviation to the form factor or its fundamental feature set. My basis for supposing this is the fact that the previous instances I'm aware of in which Canon has shown a non-working prototype (XL1, GL2 and XL H1), those occasions were very close to the actual introduction of production units (within weeks), with no physical change between prototypes and working models.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 1481285)
...why Sony didn't take essentially a DVCAM approach (faster tape transport speed) and offer what amounts to recording XDCAM EX on MiniDV tape, years ago, shortly after HDV was first introduced.

As David says above, this really wasn't feasible. DV tape transports are limited to 25Mbps (that's why HDV had that bit rate, in fact). There are Panasonic and Sony tape transports that can accommodate 50Mbps and higher, but they are prohibitively expensive and therefore obsolete for our purposes here.

Robert M Wright February 3rd, 2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Sanders (Post 1481302)
10-bit color would've been nice.

Another thing I've wondered about on occasion, is how much benefit there really is in acquiring images at 10 bits of precision, when video is that highly compressed. (Acquiring at 8 bits of precision does not preclude intermediate rendering using 10 bits of precision in post.) Just the other day, I was questioning (in my mind) if there really is any practical benefit to the 50Mbps flavor of AVC-I using 10 bits of precision (50Mbps AVC-I being effectively even more highly compressed than long-GOP MPEG-2 at the same bitrate, on the whole, since AVC-I gains none of the image quality benefits of using interframe compression, which is quite significant with most typical footage).

Bryan Gilchrist February 3rd, 2010 07:45 PM

Any word on the MSRP?

Chris Hurd February 3rd, 2010 08:36 PM

MSRP: Once again, that info will be included in the official Canon press release announcing the camera, whenever it is issued. Until then, nobody knows for sure (and those who do are restricted by NDA). Of course, DV Info Net always reports official news as it happens, so stay tuned to this site.

Michael Galvan February 4th, 2010 09:56 AM

So it looks like the possible official announcement of this camera(s) will be happening this coming Monday, February 8th in the UK at the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).

New Canon camera to be launched on 8 February - Pocket-lint

Are we excited yet or what? :)

Erick Munari February 4th, 2010 10:06 AM

I'll take the day off and get a bag of chips for the announcement.

Robert M Wright February 4th, 2010 10:21 AM

That sounds more like it will be an announcement for a new DSLR with HD video capabilities.

Alister Chapman February 4th, 2010 01:13 PM

A vDSLR with 4:2:2 50Mb/s Mpeg2.... that would be extremely interesting. Ahh the rumor mill at work.

Robert M Wright February 4th, 2010 02:28 PM

Canon is going to make a camcorder that records 4:2:2 with MPEG-2 compression. That much we know. That doesn't mean they won't introduce more DSLRs with video capabilities, or that their new DSLRs will record 4:2:2 MPEG-2 encoded video (doesn't seem real likely). It is actually possible (more like incredibly likely) that Canon will introduce BOTH a camcorder and a new still cam in the same year! Remember, this is a pretty conservative company, so don't hold your breath waiting for them to make a camera that's an utterly huge departure from conventional. Sometimes speculation gets a bit carried away...

Dom Stevenson February 4th, 2010 06:38 PM

Chris

"Take a look at the photos in my article... "

I did, but that eyepiece looks a bit harsh to me, though i'm sure it's great for folks with square eyes. Meanwhile the body has the chain-saw look we've come to associate with the pricier XLHI changeable lens model.

Are these pictures supposed to be of the A1 update or the H1 update?

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2010 12:33 AM

This is the XH replacement -- the XL will follow (we haven't seen it yet).

Michael Murie February 5th, 2010 06:22 AM

The latest version of the invite I've seen says "We are pleased to invite you to a Canon Consumer Imaging Event."

Does that sound like the announcement of a professional camcorder? If this was Sony I'd say no, as they wouldn't classify the camera(s) we've been discussing as a "consumer" camera, but I don't know if Canon has a "professional" imaging division.

Might this be the new Rebel and/or 60D?

Monday Isa February 5th, 2010 08:08 AM

I think what has people on the edge of their seat is that Vincent mentioned in the other thread to wait after the 8th and all will be revealed. This invite linked is on the 8th and immediately many think it's this event where the camera will be revealed. I heard from two people it can be a 4K projector so who knows till then.

Michael Galvan February 5th, 2010 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Murie (Post 1481914)
The latest version of the invite I've seen says "We are pleased to invite you to a Canon Consumer Imaging Event."

Does that sound like the announcement of a professional camcorder? If this was Sony I'd say no, as they wouldn't classify the camera(s) we've been discussing as a "consumer" camera, but I don't know if Canon has a "professional" imaging division.

Might this be the new Rebel and/or 60D?

Their video division falls under their Consumer Imaging Group.

In any case, the Final Cut Pro SuperMeet event is today and we'll know about this camera by tonight as Canon is showing the first US unveiling of it there.