DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/472115-canons-new-50mbps-mpeg-2-full-hd-4-2-2-codec.html)

Robert M Wright February 5th, 2010 07:54 PM

If Canon does go with SDXC, having two slots could make for a nice simple approach to redundant recording too (if they design it that way). SDXC capacities will eventually be utterly huge (way beyond 32GB - the spec allows up to 2 terabyte capacities, which is well into days of continuous recording time at 50Mbps), so the need to span recordings across cards would wind up being minimized more and more as SDXC card capacities increase, and eventually essentially entirely eliminated.

Benny Ek February 5th, 2010 10:27 PM

talk about a tease. VERY little info released on the camera from Canon tonight at Supermeet SF. if you aren't going to announce it, don't bother even saying anything. IMHO Perhaps those at the event will get more detailed info tonight. I am sure Chris is gonna grill the Canon guys.

Chris Hurd February 5th, 2010 10:37 PM

Confirmed: one-third inch.

Michael Murie February 5th, 2010 10:41 PM

Turns out they said nothing that hasn't already been said: Talked about the EOS Final Cut Pro plug-in, which they said would be "available soon" and also talked about the 4:2:2 codec.

Finally, hinted at a new camera that will "have amazing picture quality at an amazing price!" They have a prototype of a camera "under-glass" at the event, though that they didn't show during the presentation. No model number etc. He did say it has 1/3" sensors, and the prototype they were showing has a fixed lens (subtle hint that there would be one with interchangeable lenses.)

He didn't even hint that there would be an announcement shortly, which makes me jump to the big conclusion that next weeks event will NOT be an announcement of one of these cameras.

Chuck Fadely February 5th, 2010 11:06 PM

During the SuperMeet, they highlighted Edius and Avid as being ready for the new codec - which possibly suggests they are targeting the broadcast market with their new camera.

But Bogacz didn't put out any real solid info on the camera except that it's 1/3" and solid state.

Perrone Ford February 6th, 2010 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Fadely (Post 1482265)
During the SuperMeet, they highlighted Edius and Avid as being ready for the new codec - which possibly suggests they are targeting the broadcast market with their new camera.

To my knowledge, Avid and Edius are the only two NLEs that can cut XDCam/XDCamEX without an import. This does more to suggest to me that the camera is using an XDCam variant and will be recognized as such by NLEs. That is a VERY good thing.

Peter Moretti February 6th, 2010 03:06 AM

Perrone,

Avid also edits nanoFlash files natively, which are MPEG-2. But XDCAM is also MPEG-2, so you are correct that whatever format Cannon uses could be called a variant of XDCAM.

But I think it's more accurate just to call it some form of Long-GOP HD MPEG-2.

Perrone Ford February 6th, 2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Moretti (Post 1482288)
Perrone,

Avid also edits nanoFlash files natively, which are MPEG-2. But XDCAM is also MPEG-2, so you are correct that whatever format Cannon uses could be called a variant of XDCAM.

But I think it's more accurate just to call it some form of Long-GOP HD MPEG-2.

The Nano is using XDCam. In fact, it's using the same encoding chip from Sony, just at a higher bit rate. That is why it's seen as XDCam in the NLEs. If Canon have done the same thing (which is my guess) then it really is XDCam.

Robert M Wright February 6th, 2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1482259)
Confirmed: one-third inch.

Did they confirmed CCD or CMOS by chance?

Robert M Wright February 6th, 2010 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Murie (Post 1482262)
amazing picture quality at an amazing price!

That could be taken a couple different ways.

Thomas Barclay February 6th, 2010 05:24 AM

Evil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 1482304)

1/3" CMOS would be evil. With Sony doing 1/2", that would be kinda sad. I think Canon is pretty set on CCD. But who knows, I'm surprised Canon is this late to the solid state party.

Michael Murie February 6th, 2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert M Wright (Post 1482304)

Didn't say, I don't think.

Jack Zhang February 6th, 2010 09:35 AM

CCD would make this a EX killer when it comes to matchmoving and flash banding. Global Shutters and 1920x1080 at sub 10K would kill the EX (and even the HPX300 with the horrid long focal length skewing).

Perrone Ford February 6th, 2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1482368)
CCD would make this a EX killer when it comes to matchmoving and flash banding. Global Shutters and 1920x1080 at sub 10K would kill the EX (and even the HPX300 with the horrid long focal length skewing).

As if there aren't already numerous 1/3" ccd cameras on the market... None of them seem to be killing the EX1. Nor will this Canon.

Steve Connor February 6th, 2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1482368)

Perhaps in the Wedding video market, but certainly not for broadcast uses, doesn't matter about the codec 1/3 inch doesn't cut it for broadcast HD