Canon's new 50Mbps MPEG-2 Full HD (4:2:2) codec - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #121
Major Player

I don't understand statements like this.

1/3" is used in broadcast all the time.

At NBC, we use 1/3" cameras all the time.

When I worked at CNN, we used 1/3" cameras all the time.

A lot of work I've done for broadcast has been with 1/3" cameras, moreso than the 2/3" cameras.

The technology has been more than accepted at the Network level here in NYC.
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #122
Major Player

Because I work in the UK when 1/3inch is hardly used in broadcast.

This camera will take sales from the EX of course, but in no way is it an EX "killer" with 1/3inch chips.
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #123
Inner Circle

1/3" CCD EX killer chips? Sounds a wee bit science fiction like. How are you going to crank progressive, full raster detail out of these magical chips? These EX killers going to be liquid nitrogen cooled?
Old February 6th, 2010, 12:29 PM   #124
Major Player

Well I agree, I think it's a little premature to call it an "EX killer".

But it certainly could be in the realm of being a better camera than the EX. We don't know if that would be the case until it hits the market and can be tested side by side.

Who knows what kind of advances the chipset may have (and there's still the glass and the codec side of the equation).
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:38 PM   #125
Inner Circle

Unless there's been some pretty amazing breakthrough that I am unaware of, full raster (1920x1080) progressive imaging from CCDs is just not very practical for an economical cam. For that, CMOS makes a whale of a lot more sense.
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #126
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Well I agree, I think it's a little premature to call it an "EX killer".

But it certainly could be in the realm of being a better camera than the EX. We don't know if that would be the case until it hits the market and can be tested side by side.

Who knows what kind of advances the chipset may have (and there's still the glass and the codec side of the equation).
How does this even look like a better camera than the EX? That's what I am not seeing. We can talk glass and codec all your want, but there's a pretty darn nice piece of glass on the front of the EX1, and a 10bit 1.5GB pipe sitting right on the back of the camera if I want to get around the codec issues. How are you going to work around that 1/3" sensor?
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #127
Inner Circle

What 1/3" full raster HD cameras did you have at CNN and which ones are you using at NBC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
I don't understand statements like this.

1/3" is used in broadcast all the time.

At NBC, we use 1/3" cameras all the time.

When I worked at CNN, we used 1/3" cameras all the time.

A lot of work I've done for broadcast has been with 1/3" cameras, moreso than the 2/3" cameras.

The technology has been more than accepted at the Network level here in NYC.
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #128
Inner Circle

As far as I know there simply is no such thing as a 1/3" full raster chip camcorder being made by anyone, aside from the HPX300 (CMOS), which is fairly new. NBC did order a bunch of those though, didn't they?
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #129
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
As far as I know there simply is no such thing as a 1/3" full raster chip camcorder being made by anyone, aside from the HPX300 (CMOS), which is fairly new. NBC did order a bunch of those though, didn't they?
Well we KNOW there aren't any (CCD). So what Mr. Galvan is talking about is 1/3" SD cameras... and comparing apples to cantaloupes.
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #130
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Well we KNOW there aren't any (CCD). So what Mr. Galvan is talking about is 1/3" SD cameras... and comparing apples to cantaloupes.
Guys, when you mix arrogant verbiage with overstatement and/or conjecture about another's intent, it makes YOU look bad, not the person you're insulting. Mr. Galvan said nothing about full raster and of course there ARE 1/3" CCD (not full raster) HD cameras, which makes his first hand reporting about at least certain portions of network broadcasting using these "lesser" cameras of interest, and makes it a reasonable conjecture that a new-technology full raster CCD 1/3" camera might do well in that market.

The sort of swideswiping rudeness that a number of you are routinely employing in your posts (not referring just to this thread) is growing wearisome. The Wranglers are just about ready to go on a round up.

There's more we DON'T know about the upcoming Canon cameras than we DO know. I've said it before and here it is again: Canon usually is the last one to the dance but always arrives in the finest fashion. Whatever market(s) they are targeting with the new camera(s), they know what is required. Heck, with the 5DmII, they even overshot and gained a market they weren't after. We will see in due course...NAB and thereafter.
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #131
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
How does this even look like a better camera than the EX? That's what I am not seeing. We can talk glass and codec all your want, but there's a pretty darn nice piece of glass on the front of the EX1, and a 10bit 1.5GB pipe sitting right on the back of the camera if I want to get around the codec issues. How are you going to work around that 1/3" sensor?
I agree with you. This new Canon is not a competitor to the EX-1(R) in any way. There are just lots of excitied Canon fans on this thread. The announcement of the new "Pro" codec itself is misleading IMO. These are prosumer cameras.

The Sony NXcam is probably more of a camera to compare the new Canon XH replacement to.
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:51 PM   #132
Inner Circle

Hmmm,

Discussion at hand... Canon HD camera.

Comment made... New Canon camera could be an EX Killer

Counterpoint... 1/3" CCD chips are not going to be an EX killer. This format has been unacceptable for (HD) broadcast.

Comment made... 1/3" is just fine for broadcast at CNN and NBC

Conjecture: Since EX1 is full raster and 1/2" chipped, questioning how a 1/3" non-full raster cam will be an EX1 killer. It's been confirmed in this thread and in other statements that the camera is CCD and not CMOS (or has it). And we apparently know it's 1/3".

So I ask in my most humble and meek manner...

How is a 1/3", likely not full raster CCD camera, an EX killer?
Old February 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM   #133
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kellam View Post
I agree with you. This new Canon is not a competitor to the EX-1(R) in any way. There are just lots of excitied Canon fans on this thread. The announcement of the new "Pro" codec itself is misleading IMO. These are prosumer cameras.

The Sony NXcam is probably more of a camera to compare the new Canon XH replacement to.
Are you saying that the EX1 is not a prosumer camera? I'd always put it in that bracket.
Steve
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #134
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps View Post
Are you saying that the EX1 is not a prosumer camera? I'd always put it in that bracket.
Steve
It really rides the line. I consider it prosumer.. but the CineAlta badging really is Sony's pro line. It's not even built in the same place as their prosumer cams. It's built where the pro cams are built. So...
Old February 6th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #135
Inner Circle

Probably about right. Although the Cine Alta thing is a bit odd as for example the F355 has it but the PDW700 doesn't.
Steve
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders