Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old April 7th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder

Read the press release here: http://www.dvinfo.net/news/canons-ne...amcorders.html

Quote:

CANON'S NEW XF305 AND XF300 PROFESSIONAL CAMCORDERS RECORD
NATIVE 1920 x 1080 4:2:2 VIDEO DIRECTLY TO COMPACT FLASH CARDS

Both Models Utilize an MPEG-2 4:2:2 50Mbps Codec for Exceptional HD
Image Quality, Full NLE Compatibility and an Efficient, Robust Workflow

LAKE SUCCESS, N.Y., April 7, 2010 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging, today announces the Canon XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders. Both new models employ an MPEG-2 4:2:2 50Mbps codec – Canon XF Codec – for capturing and recording native 1920 x 1080 video onto affordable, universally available Compact Flash (CF) cards. Uniting video, audio and metadata into a single file, the Canon XF305 and XF300 use an MXF (Material eXchange Format) File Wrapper, a widely supported open source format, to maximize compatibility with existing industry infrastructure and non-linear editing (NLE)systems. Priced under $8,000 per model, the Canon XF305 and XF300 are engineered for multiple production applications including broadcast news, documentary and independent filmmaking and event videography. Canon will be demonstrating a variety of professional applications for the Canon XF305 and XF300 at the Company's booth# C4325 at the 2010 National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) Show in the Las Vegas Convention Center.

The Canon XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders include a Genuine Canon 18x HD L-series lens providing documentary filmmakers and news camera operators with the focal-range versatility required in the field. Designed with input from professional users, each model includes three Canon developed and designed native 1920 x 1080 CMOS image sensors, and the new Canon XF Codec for extreme color detail required for accurate chroma-keying, color-grading and compositing for digital filmmaking. For finer transitions in tone and color, 4:2:2 color sampling offers twice the color resolution of HDV and other 4:2:0 formats. In addition, Canon's XF305 model features industry- standard HD-SDI output, genlock, and SMPTE time code (in/out) terminals for multi-camera or 3-D productions.

"The creation of HD video content continues to grow across every market category," stated Yuichi Ishizuka, executive vice president and general manager, Consumer Imaging Group, Canon U.S.A. "We are proud to introduce the new Canon XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders, which provide extraordinary image quality, a generous array of features and seamless integration with file-based workflows, all at an attractive price. These camcorders provide the convenience, production cost and quality that the HD video market has been asking for."

Further adding to the low total-cost-of-ownership of the Canon XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders is their use of CF cards. In addition to rugged, solid-state construction and the speed and ease of file transfer to computers, CF cards are cost effective and widely available, unlike proprietary memory systems. The new Canon XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders feature hot-swappable dual card slots and support UDMA CF cards for maximum performance.

To support the swift adoption of the Canon XF Codec, Canon has worked in cooperation with major editing and post-production software developers, including Adobe, Apple, Avid, and Grass Valley, to ensure compatibility with leading software programs widely used within the video production and broadcast industries.

Genuine Canon Optics with Image Stabilization
Leveraging the Company's expertise as a global leader in the design and manufacture of high-performance optics, the Canon XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders feature a Genuine Canon 18x HD L-series lens with a 35mm equivalent zoom range of 29.3 – 527.4mm and a Full Manual Focus mode with mechanical "hard" end stops and distance markers for professional operability and repeatable manual focus. Canon utilized HI-UD (high-index, ultra low dispersion), UD and aspherical lens elements to minimize chromatic aberrations and provide a compact size and weight to the lens – while also delivering a resolution of approximately 1,000 TV lines. The lens also features a new SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer (OIS) system featuring Dynamic and Powered modes for optimal performance in the greatest variety of situations.

DIGIC DV III Image Processor
At the heart of Canon's XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorder models is Canon's proprietary DIGIC DV III Image Processor, which ensures natural, lifelike colors and captures tonal gradations and shadow detail with remarkable accuracy. The DIGIC DV III Image Processor also powers Canon's innovative Face Detection Technology, an autofocus option that can significantly reduce the effort required when camera operators work alone, such as in news applications.

To maximize the camcorders' adaptability across various production environments, Canon equipped each model with the ability to record at multiple bit rates, resolutions and variable frame rates for slow and fast motion.

Code:
Mode	     Resolution	Frame Rate
50Mbps (CBR) 4:2:2     1920 x1080  60i/30p/24p
50Mbps (CBR) 4:2:2     1280 x 720  60p/30p/24p
35Mbps (VBR) 4:2:0     1920 x1080  60i/30p/24p
35Mbps (VBR) 4:2:0     1280 x 720  60p/30p/24p
25Mbps (CBR) 4:2:0     1440 x1080  60i/30p/24p

CBR = Continuous Bit Rate      VBR = Variable Bit Rate
Additional professional features include variable-interval (for time-lapse) and frame-record for stop-motion animation, and a photo feature for frame-grabs.

Refined Ergonomics and Operation
The Canon XF305 and XF300 are designed to maximize shooting comfort and usability. The well-balanced design allows the operator to comfortably control the camcorder and easily maintain a steady shot while minimizing arm fatigue. Each camcorder also features a convenient, freely rotating 4.0-inch, 1.23-megapixel LCD monitor that can be positioned at either the right or left side of the camcorder body, allowing for easy viewing even in the most difficult shooting positions.

The LCD monitor also provides a display of the camcorders' built-in waveform monitor and vectorscope to aid in achieving accurate exposure and color levels while shooting. Additionally, the LCD can show peaking, edge-monitor-focus and magnify the image, enabling users to confirm critical focus, an essential objective in all HD production.

The Canon XF305 and XF300 models also come equipped with a 0.52-inch, 1.55-megapixel color electronic viewfinder, providing ample resolution for critical focus and approximately 100 percent field-of-view coverage for accurate judgment of composition.

Audio Flexibility
The Canon XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders feature a built-in stereo microphone as well as dual XLR inputs for external audio sources. The new camcorders support 16-bit PCM audio at 48 kHz with automatic and manual audio level adjustment

Pricing and Availability
Canon's XF305 Professional Camcorder is scheduled to be available in late June for an estimated retail price of $7,999. Canon's XF300 Professional Camcorder is scheduled to be available in late June for an estimated retail price of $6,799.

About Canon U.S.A., Inc.
Canon U.S.A., Inc., is a leading provider of consumer, business-to-business, and industrial digital imaging solutions. Its parent company, Canon Inc. (NYSE:CAJ), a top patent holder of technology, ranked fourth overall in the U.S. in 2009†, with global revenues of US $35 billion, is listed as number four in the computer industry on Fortune Magazine's World's Most Admired Companies 2009 list, and is on the 2009 BusinessWeek list of "100 Best Global Brands." Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest levels of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. At Canon, we care because caring is essential to living together in harmony. Founded upon a corporate philosophy of Kyosei – "all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future" – Canon U.S.A. supports a number of social, youth, educational and other programs, including environmental and recycling initiatives. Additional information about these programs can be found at About Canon: Corporate Philosophy.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

High-res pics... click to embiggen.
Attached Thumbnails
Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xfprofileleft1200.jpg   Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xf305rightprofile1200.jpg  

Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xfoblique1200.jpg   Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xf300-topob1200.jpg  

Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xf305rightob1200.jpg   Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xf300backob1200.jpg  

Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xflcdopen1200.jpg   Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xfquarter1200.jpg  

Old April 7th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

And more pics.... click to see 'em big.
Attached Thumbnails
Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xflensdetail900.jpg   Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xfrightlensdetail1200.jpg  

Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xftoplens840.jpg   Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xftophandle840.jpg  

Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xftoppanel840.jpg   Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xflcddetail1200.jpg  

Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-xfrightobdetail1200.jpg   Press Release: Canon's New XF305 and XF300 Professional HD Camcorder-300305compare1200.jpg  

Old April 7th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

I have to say, though -- these came in at higher prices than I expected ($8000 with SDI and $6800 without SDI). Honestly I had figured they would be much closer in price to the XH series.

Old April 7th, 2010, 07:49 AM   #5
Major Player

This is a very exciting camcorder and a great improvment of the XHA1. But I'm worried that it seems there is no annoucement for an interchangeable lens version…
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I was so excited... right up to the CMOS bit.
Old April 7th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Just because they didn't say anything about an XL version doesn't mean it ain't going to happen. It would be too much too soon for them to announce an XL version today. They tend to spread out their major product announcements, just like all the big manufacturers do. I think they took a look at how the XH series had so much greater market penetration than the XL H series did, and decided therefore to push the XF ahead of the XL F (if that's what it's actually going to be called; just a guess on my part).

Old April 7th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Just because they didn't say anything about an XL version doesn't mean it ain't going to happen. It would be too much too soon for them to announce an XL version today. They tend to spread out their major product announcements, just like all the big manufacturers do. I think they took a look at how the XH series had so much greater market penetration than the XL H series did, and decided therefore to push the XF ahead of the XL F (if that's what it's actually going to be called; just a guess on my part).
I hope as I really would like the XL version to come out soon as that's what I'm really interested in.

But wow, these prices are a little surprise for me as well!
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurence Janus View Post
I was so excited... right up to the CMOS bit.
1/3 CMOS at that, thought Canon would do 1/2 CMOS TO MATCH SONY XDCAM EX
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:14 AM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

1/3rd-inch was reported here as officially confirmed by Canon USA way back in February.

Old April 7th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #11
Regular Crew

WOW!! Wayyyyy over priced for what it is. IMHO.

Ben
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #12
New Boot

And pal frame rates require additional upgrade.

"Optional 50i/25p Frame Rate Upgrade
For added versatility, XF305 can be customized to record in both 60i/50i and 24p/25p (this optional upgrade must be performed by a Canon Factory Service Center)."

Nothing about 50p?
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:35 AM   #13
Major Player

We're saving up for an HD cam (upgrading from an XL2) and like everybody else, was eagerly awaiting for Canon's new cam announcement. Before, I was set up to save for an EX1R, but thought, wait...Canon's got some new stuff coming out! Then, I read the specs...and the prices...

Might have to go back saving pennies for the EX1R...
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #14
Major Player

I would hold off on over-priced comments considering the technology required to record 4:2:2 50Mbps video. I am presuming that, like Sony and the NanoFlash, Canon's implementation of 4:2:2 requires a second processor. This adds significantly to the cost. I in fact am amazed that Canon is able to bring 4:2:2 50Mbps at this price point.

The only weak link here is the SDHC card. I can easily see too many users trying to use the cheapest card they can find, disregarding specs, and then filling the boards with complaints of media errors and dropped frames.

I'm looking forward to a good look at NAB and am I already predisposed to writing positively about it and its pricing.
Old April 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM   #15
Trustee

I noticed both cameras have HDMI output which makes the HD-SDI not as important as it once was. Unless of course you work with other broadcast equipment that uses HD-SDI.

I do have to agree about the price. Considering the SONY EX1 is cheaper and uses 1/2" CMOS with full HD-SDI this price seems a bit extreme. The only advantage is the 4:2:2 and higher bitrate recording which in the progressive world isn't as important as many once thought it was. Of course for interlaced shooters 4:2:2 and 50 mbits is a pretty big deal but is that really worth $3,000.00? Although CF cards are much cheaper then SxS cards.

The fact that the camera does have HDMI does make the whole 4:2:2 for keying issue kind of interesting. As a visual effects artist I would still prefer to capture HDMI directly into Prores.

For the event videographer I could still see them preferring the EX1 since it sounds like it may be better in low light situations. We won't really know if that will be true until we actually see the performance of the camera but the physics of chip design usually means a full raster 1/2" chip will be more sensitive then a full raster 1/3" chip.

Cmos I really don't see as an issue. I think very soon we will see everything switch to Cmos. There are very few CCD based cameras left and other then rolling shutter they are a huge advantage to not only image quality but how far companies can push these cameras. It is so much easier to deliver the quality we want with Cmos then it is to deal with the issues of CCD design. CCD is just a pain to deal with for HD cameras. Too many trade offs and/or workarounds.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders