Next week is June already, and still no official price from Canon ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 25th, 2010, 06:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Next week is June already, and still no official price from Canon ?

Hello,

As Canon wrote something like the XF 300 / 305 will be available in June, it is suprising to see their is no official price promoted. Next week is June, but still there is nothing.

To sum it up: any news about the price of these cams ?
Tans Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Major Player

At list price, the cameras have a very small % mark up so don't expect much of a drop.

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

June 17 and no confirmed price yet?
Old June 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Regular Crew

maybe your way allan, here in canada, Vistek has the cameras up for pre order with a decent price level and estimated delivery of june 25th.

Canon XF300 HD Camcorder w/18x HD L-Series Lens Pro Camcorders 4457B001 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

i was hoping for a little less for price, but it is still cheaper than the ex1 and also has a lower price than list for canada.

this weekend is canadas first video expo, so i am eager to not only see the demo canon has for the XF line, but also further release and price. but Vistek is a respected pro video retailer with great service, what they say on the website is almost certain not going to change.

dan
Daniel Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2010, 04:24 AM   #5
Major Player

Well the UK prices are out now. Here's one:

Canon XF300 HD Camcorder - Only £6,168.75 - Park Cameras Online

Double the price of the XHA1 and more than an EX1. And that's for the cheaper version.

Ouch!
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Daniel,

Is that just Vistek's promo for the XFs? You're right that the XF cams are a bit cheaper than the EX1Rs. Are the Sonys just better selling out there?

I guess I'll wait and see if B and H's final pricing will stay current...

Last edited by Jeff Anselmo; June 19th, 2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added material
Jeff Anselmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

thats a good question, im not sure exactly but my guess is it will stay that price. doesnt say its a promo price, maybe thats their respond to it being a high price. if it was higher than the ex1r, i couldnt see them selling many. even at the 200cdn difference im having a hard time deciding. and canon always bothered me that they make you pay for hd/sdi out, for 1000cdn i could get it, for for 200cdn more the sony has it and bigger chips. depends if the 15 more mbps prove to be worth it, im going to guess maybe not.

dan
Daniel Caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:38 AM   #8
Major Player

B&H has the 305 in stock and it's price is $7999.
Old June 29th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #9
Regular Crew

If this is the final price then it seems that Canon don't want to sell lot of such xf305 and xf300 cameras. The maximum it worth is about 5000 usd.

Will wait for next year, probably the used ones will be cheaper.
Tans Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Tans-
By what means would you make that statement? This camera is aimed right at the EX's which, I believe, the current EX3 sells for around, let me see, $7500-$8000USD.....and it records at a much higher codec with much better glass.

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Major Player

Tans,

With respect, I think you are missing the mark. This is not an XH series replacement, this is a camera at a much higher level and as such, is a actually a very cheap camera for what I strongly suspect is the target market. 50Mbs and 4:2:2 colour are broadcast specifications.

Nick.
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Trustee

No one has even seen the glass to be pronouncing such early superlatives. The XH and XL series had significant chromatic abberations. The Fuji lens on the EX is much better, which is also sharp and has auto lens aberration correction. Having owned both, the XF has a lot farther to row before getting crowned for having much better glass than the EX.

I am sure XF is an awesome camera, but so is the EX which has been around for several years now.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM   #13
Major Player

I think NIck's pictures demonstrate that the pictures look pretty good. Alan Roberts has given a pretty good report so it maybe a camera to consider for some work. Canon appear to have thought through the needs of an operator that needs to keep aperture around 5.6 by fitting three ND filters from what I can see on the spec.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #14
Major Player

Tom,

I'm well aware that the previous Canon camcorders had significant CA issues, the old XHA-1 lens was an issue. However, I have been working with Zeiss, Schneider Kreuznach and Hasselblad glass (and of course Canon) in the stills world for over 20 years. Much of my work is shot with the equivalent of 8k video cameras (a 40Mpixel digital back by Phase One), so I'm fussy about my glass.

Having used the XF305 for several weeks in pre-production form, I am very impressed with the lens - it is a very significant step forwards for video cameras at this price level; it would seem that the limiting factor now is 1080, not lens resolution? Roll on 4k...

The independent test by Alan Roberts specifically tested lens resolution - it is available under the this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...nt-report.html. The Sony EX report by the same author is also available online, I will add it to that same thread for people to make their own assessments.

Nick.

Last edited by Nick Wilcox-Brown; June 30th, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
Nick Wilcox-Brown is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders