BBC approved Canon XF300 & XF305 for Indie Companies at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old July 6th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

BBC approved Canon XF300 & XF305 for Indie Companies

BBC Guidelines site: BBC - Commissioning - Producing High-Definition TV

Approved HD Cameras & Settings
. . .
* For use by Independent productions only:

Canon XF 300E & 305E
Red One
Sony PDW 800 & 700

P.S. There is an amusing slip of the pen in the text - Cannon.
Ivan Pin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 03:14 AM   #2
Inner Circle

They seem to have sorted their list out a bit now, so that all the Panasonic cameras (old Varicam, HPX 2000, 2700, 300 and 3700 and the HDX900) are all fully approved.
As far as I know the only distinction between cameras on the fully approved list and the those for indies is down to archiving and internal workflows, and nothing to do with quality.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Panasonic must not be happy that their 1/3" chip "broadcast" camera with AVC-Intra is not approved. Canon looks as if they had an inside track on this as the camera is barely out and is added next to a RED One and a PDW-800.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Alan Roberts was impressed how well it compared to a 1/2" camera ( an EX something I'd assume),
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Inner Circle

And Barry Green was impressed by the HPX370 vs the EX1. These acceptance things are often a bit odd and up for debate.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 12:47 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I don't understand why the EX1/EX3 isn't listed as it is approved (or at least it was?) by the BBC. DV Solutions have been buying them and using them on many, many productions with NanoFlashes. Perhaps it's not listed as you have to combine it with a NanoFlash. I think there is a little bit of politics going on behind the scenes. I wonder what Sky's take on this is, as they are following the BBC's guidelines, which are supposed to follow the EBU's, which state sensors 1/2" or bigger. Before I get shot down, I'm not saying that the Canon should not be approved, it's clearly very good,, but all the testing must have been done with prototypes and I find it hard to believe that there has been a lot of out in the field. It took the BBC a year to officially approve the PDW-700 and even longer for RED.

Slightly OT, I saw some of the kit Simon King is using on his latest Shetland Islands shoot today. A Canon 5D Mk2, a camera that Alan Roberts felt was not worth evaluating beyond a zone plate due to severe aliasing. Nothing makes any sense any more. Have to admit I will be doing some shooting with a 550D at the weekend, but it's just for some specific ultra shallow DoF shots and it's not for broadcast.
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Slightly OT, I saw some of the kit Simon King is using on his latest Shetland Islands shoot today. A Canon 5D Mk2, a camera that Alan Roberts felt was not worth evaluating beyond a zone plate due to severe aliasing. Nothing makes any sense any more.
Could it be that the 5DII is just being used for stills which is after all what it is designed for?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:33 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It's noteworthy that the new Canon cameras are far & away the cheapest on the BBC approved list by a factor of 5X.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:09 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Could it be that the 5DII is just being used for stills which is after all what it is designed for?
It could also be used for time lapse.

I suspect the BBC has also been looking for a possible replacement for the Z1, a workhorse used by director/camera, video journalists and researchers on quite a few of their SD productions.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:29 AM   #10
Regular Crew

why not PMW350

What is the problem in approving PMW350 ? Can anyone comment ?
Ramji Meena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #11
Major Player

The 5D mkii is brilliant for interviews. I've used it with a zoom h4 and it looks as good (if not better) than an extremely expensive broadcast set up. The camera does have shortcomings in some other areas, but is certainly broadcast quality for the right jobs.

As far as the other issues raised here go. The BBC like 50mbs which is why the Ex1 is only considered acceptable with a nanoflash. Not sure what their gripe is with the 1/3 panasonics.

Even so, the fact is i know many people who've had stuff on the BBC shot on Z1's and even PD150's. If they like the film and it's well shot the rules are often broken. But the fact that this Canon is getting a thumbs up from the start will make it a hugely attractive option for many. I doubt too many people would want to fork out an extra 2 grand for a nanoflash and an EX1 with more expensive media and inferior lens now this thing's turned up.

Well done Canon. The first 5K camera to tick all the beeb's boxes.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #12
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramji Meena View Post
What is the problem in approving PMW350 ? Can anyone comment ?
I'm not sure, but I suspect it has something to do with the MPEG-2 long-GOP 35mbs 4:2:0 capture format. It can be argued it's still HDV, although some don't see it that way.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:00 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
It can be argued it's still HDV, although some don't see it that way.
It ISN'T HDV and any argument saying it is is factually incorrect. It is far more robust. I plan on testing 35Mb VBR 4:2:0 against 50Mb CBR 4:2:2 as it may prove to be more robust than that just without the 4:2:2 colour.

Even with a 4:2:0 codec, I've intercut a PMW350 with PDW700s and various HDCAM recordings and found the PMW350 gave the best image.

Having said that, the codec is probably what the Beeb don't like. I guess it will become acceptable though, much as DVCAM did despite initial reservations.
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:28 AM   #14
Trustee

Well HDCAM is 3:1:1.
Old July 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom Stevenson View Post
The 5D mkii is brilliant for interviews. I've used it with a zoom h4 and it looks as good (if not better) than an extremely expensive broadcast set up. The camera does have shortcomings in some other areas, but is certainly broadcast quality for the right jobs.
The actual resolution of the 5DII isn't as good as you might think. The images look very sharp which isn't the same thing. However aside from the 'film look' & shallow DOF possible with the 5DII the other advantage that it does have over most 'proper' video cameras is that you can use the extremely good Canon 'L' lenses or almost any other 35mm stills camera lens from Nikon, Zeiss etc some of which are simply exceptional lenses.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders