Raw samples of Canon XF300 & Sony EX1R - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old July 20th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #61
Regular Crew

I think the UK has much higher & more rigid standards than it's US broadcast counterparts. Honestly, you'd be amazed at what can be considered acceptable for broadcast over here; and sometimes the decisions that are made are obviously counter-intuitive and do lead to problematic broadcasts. Then again, sometimes it works, too - the House episode shot entirely on the 5d mark II was a good case of that. They spent as much on post with that episode as they do with their normal 35mm film post, and were really able to subdue the natural DSLR artifacts (color banding, moire, aliasing, etc) while still giving it a pleasing filmic texture.

Going back to the comparison, I think you're right, the color sampling is probably what's at play when viewed so closely, and I would imagine that at the same sampling rate, the EX would not produce the blocking and would still be less noisy.
Brian Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:36 PM   #62
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Adding noise is strictly taboo in the UK as it messes up the narrow bandwidth transmissions used for Digital TV broadcasts. The broadcasters go to great lengths to filter out any noise prior to compression for broadcast .......
Yes, exactly. I suspect in the case Brian talks about, those who wish to add the noise make all their judgements on footage in the edit suite, where the compression is still relatively light.

It's quite conceivable that adding noise may be felt to give a nicer "look" there - then when it looks bad on transmission it's a case of oh well, the standards of those broadcasters are so low..... It's been said many times that it's not sufficient to judge camera pictures in isolation, straight out of the edit suite - it has to be done as part of a chain.
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 01:12 PM   #63
Inner Circle

How come the Sony EX clips lack pink skin tones?

I remember noticing how the Sony clips from my TRV-900 lacked the pink of human skin tones when I moved off my Sony TRV-900 to a Canon XL1s but I chalked it up to moving to a better camera. Is this just a PP setting or what?
Attached Thumbnails
Raw samples of Canon XF300 & Sony EX1R-sony-skin.png   Raw samples of Canon XF300 & Sony EX1R-canon-skin.png  

Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2010, 09:45 PM   #64
Major Player

Am I missing the point?

Is it just my imagination, or are these CGI images? They look a lot like a rendering I saw for a Lightwave 3D how-to book a few years ago.

Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:59 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Well, it's just your imagination. These are frames from actual footage recorded on those camcorders.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:02 AM   #66
Inner Circle

There is a big difference in the lighting, white balance and exposure between the two shots which doesn't help making an accurate assessment. But Sony cameras do tend to have a lot of yellow in them. At the same time Canon's cameras tend to have a little too much red (giving a pink hue to clouds etc). It's easy enough to adjust these out in the Matrix of either camera however.
Sony have always tried to make all their cameras have similar colorimetry from todays latest cameras to early tube cameras and I think this is where the yellow bias comes from. It may also be a bias that favours Asian skin tones.
When I used to have a Canon H1 I used to run with a CP with some -R in the matrix for a more neutral look. With the EX1R I use various PP's for different jobs, but they almost always start off from something like this:

R-G +6, R-B +10, G-R -6, G-B -8, B-R -15, B-G -10
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:03 AM   #67
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian Adrian Olariu View Post
Well, it's just your imagination. These are frames from actual footage recorded on those camcorders.
Those pictures have zero value. I'm surprised Chris hasn't just removed them.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 07:28 PM   #68
Major Player

Haha, those are definately CGI based images. Les, I don't know where you acquired those images but they are certainly not from a video camera. Alister's comments would have been a good analysis if they were in fact real. haha. In point of fact, the CGI photo attributed as the Sony based image has more in common with the idiosyncrasies of Panasonic based output than Sony.

Any discussion on this is completely ridiculous. If it was a Sony camera, as Alister has pointed out obviously it wasn't white balanced. Sony cameras never pushes out this kind of yellow skin on a properly balanced camera or even one that is off and set for daylight but shooting under tungsten. It's just preposterous. haha.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 09:18 PM   #69
Inner Circle

The stills I posted are screen grabs from the clips that are the substance of this thread And were posted in the beginning. . I believe they are from the zip files. I'm not saying they aren't CG just saying where I got them from

Last edited by Les Wilson; July 24th, 2010 at 05:26 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #70
Trustee

Yes Les, not to shoot the messenger. Thanks for posting the grabs b/c downloading those files can be a PITB.
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #71
Inner Circle

The reason they look odd is that they are I believe mannequins not real models.
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:30 AM   #72
Major Player

mannequins

Now that I have downloaded and examined the video file, it is obvious that they are mannequins. No CGI involved.

Ken
Ken Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #73
Trustee

I realize they are mannequins. I use mannequins sometimes as alternatives for stand-in's. It's not the subjects, it's the conclusions that could be drawn from watching the subjects that would be false.

This side-by-side simply does not accurately reflect the differences in capabilities of both cameras.

Last edited by Peter Moretti; July 24th, 2010 at 07:45 AM.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders