Burned artifacts in viewfinder! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 9th, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Burned artifacts in viewfinder!

Has anyone else seen this artifacting? I received the XF about a month ago. Love it. I've used it several times and the other day I was using it outside in bright sunlight. After an hour of being outside, I noticed in the rear viewfinder a few bright green blobs! Then , , , a larger fleshy colored little design!! OMG!

Interestingly it was NOT in the LCD screen, nor in any actual video shot - just brightly colored in the rear viewfinder. The artifacts are in the same place whether looking thru the "camera" position, or the "media" position. But again, NOT in any actual video.

I got a new camera (B&H graciously exchanged it - with Canon's permission).

It's been great for 2 days and all of a sudden, I'm seeing more of the same after shooting outside again! Now, I'm as careful as the next fellow and take caution NOT to point the lens or viewfinder into the sun. That's not to say that if I'm walking outside holding the camera in a normal fashion - that for an instant or two, as I turn, the sun might not peep into the rear viewfinder without my knowing it . . . but apparently it is (I'm thinking this is what caused this?).

But I've been videoing for 20 + years - I've NEVER had anything like this happen. Now, in one week - it's done it to two cameras?
Anyone else had this happen? At first I just thought it was the first camera was flawed . . . but now???

I'm not sure it is the sun - it's just coincidental that two times outside = 2 flawed viewfinders?

I hope I'm not alone on this issue??
Thanks,
Larry
Larry Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Hey Larry, that sucks.

It sure sounds to me like direct sun got into the viewfinder, but then again, you said you've been careful, so who knows? For your sake, I hope it turns out to be a camera defect.

I've used my XF305 outdoors a lot over the past month and things still look normal. Knock on wood. Like any camera, I avoid letting the sun get into the VF but I haven't gone out of my way to be extra special careful . . . now I will be. Thanks for the warning.
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #3
Major Player

wait so if sun shines on a viewfinder it gets fried?
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bostick View Post
wait so if sun shines on a viewfinder it gets fried?
It sure can. The same glass eyepiece that enlarges the image in the viewfinder can also act as a magnifier for sunlight going in. It can then burn the small monitor inside, like a magnifying glass does to a leaf. I've seen viewfinders with this damage.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 11:34 PM   #5
Major Player

wow thats insane ,i never knew that :(
Tom Bostick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #6
Trustee

panny's are notorious for that..one friend burned his HVX-200 viewfinder and another friend toasted his HPX-170. (we are in AZ so a LOT of outdoor sunny shooting occurs) My hmc-150 has a thick black sock over the viewfinder since I don't use it. (prefer an external monitor)
Panny's were around $250 to replace!
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I'd be surprised if it's not mentioned in the camera instruction book, it is with most cameras.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 06:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Burned artifacts in viewfinder

Thank you for your comments - but what I can't understand it this happened to TWO cameras in 4 days?? I've been shooting for over 20 years - and I've NEVER had this? The first time, I thought there was something just wrong with the new XF300. But now the second time? I was only outside maybe 2 hours. Either I was shooting (using the rear viewfinder) or walking around - I keep the viewfinder level with the ground - so it's not like the sun is glaring into it! I never just sit the camera down by itself so accidentally the sun can shine in! (That I know of!) I thought maybe this camera was extra extra sensitive or something . . . or would it have been something else I'm doing?
Larry
Larry Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Major Player

Hi Larry,

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

You've probably called B and H already? I'm curious what they (and Canon) have to say. Please keep us updated.

Best,
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Trustee

Could very high humidity be a factor?
I imagine you're protecting against condensation just like preventing the sun from entering the viewfinder since you're an experienced shooter, but it is an odd two events so close together.
I'm planning on getting the XF300 soon, is there any specifically "new technology" about the viewfinder that might make it more vulnerable than past types?
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

It takes very little time for sun to burn the viewfinder LCD if the angle is right. When shooting outside, I always put a piece of gaff over the viewfinder when it's not in use to prevent such an issue.
Brian Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The early pro Sony color VF were easily damaged by the sun, it took just a couple of seconds to leave a pink or green blob on the finder. Just walking with the camera and the finder point in the direction of the Sun can do it.
Old September 11th, 2010, 07:08 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Had the same problems with my new XF300. Burned artifacts in the viewfinder. Never hat this problems with other cams.
Reinhard Kungel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #14
Inner Circle

The Sony EX3 manual specifically warns of this well know "sun magnification = damaged viewfinder" risk too - for those that bother to read manuals...but to have it happen twice with 2 separate Canon XF cameras in such a short period of time sounds very strange/worrying????
Old April 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #15
Trustee

Re: Burned artifacts in viewfinder!

Just wrecked my viewfinder today with this. I hadn't pointed the camera at the sun or the viewfinder. However I wear glasses and am thinking that maybe my lens reflected sunlight back onto the viewfinder screen.

Does anyone else with this problem wear glasses?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders