Burned artifacts in viewfinder! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 12th, 2011, 08:33 AM   #31
Go Cycle

Re: Burned artifacts in viewfinder!

Well, it seems the problem has not gone away. Below is a re-post, which I feel is relevant to this current thread and may be helpful:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Canon has just received the XF series EVF caps. The cost is $2.95 each and shipping is $6.95. I would order a few directly from CANON PROFESSIONAL PARTS as they can get lost easy.

The part#: D54-016-000 Phone#1-866-510-1335

Here is what I did: There is a very small hole on the side of the Viewfinder Cap. I took a small elastic hair band and tied the band to the rear shoulder clip located above the output area. I placed a piece of velcro above the output area and a piece of velcro on the outside of the small cap. The cap now swings-off the EVF and I attach same to the velcro. This is a REAL easy piece to lose-real easy. So, now the EVF cap is attached to the body of the camera at all times.

Why the EVF CAP in the first place? Because, there is a DEFECT in the TOP layer of the EVF. Even a small amount of light COULD cause a yellow burn-in on the EVF surface. Canon must know this and has introduced these EVF caps which are really like PLUGS that are placed within the rubber eyecup.

Good luck.....hope you never have a problem like I did-even on a cloudy day and I was aware of the EVF problem from prior posts."
Old June 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM   #32
New Boot

Ad me to the list of viewfinder burners.

It happened so quickly I couldn't believe it, and this after almost a year of owning the cam. I was in the middle of a shoot so kept going, watching as carefully as I could not to point it up, and darn if it didn't happen again within minutes. Must have been a reflection off the ground or something as I was really watching what I was doing.

Canon Canada says they don't rely on forum postings such as this to make repairs so I have to send it in to see if it's covered on the two year warranty. Will take from 15 to 20 days depending on parts availability, so I guess it could be even longer...arg!

I have my 7D to fill in, as that long without the cam will effect my biz, but what else can I do? Maybe wait to see if biz slows or a better option pops up.
Larry Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:04 AM   #33
Trustee

Larry,

Do you wear glasses when using the camera?

Or did the sun catch the viewfinder at any stage?
Old June 22nd, 2011, 05:39 AM   #34
Go Cycle

In my case, as posted prior, the burn-in occurred on a overcast day.

The fact that many users are having this issue should raise a red flag at Canon service that there is a malfunction in the EVF. Many of us are pro shooters with years of experience and are aware of problems caused by the sun. It appears that the EVF is either too sensitive OR there is another problem causing the EVF to actually leak. The fact that Canon offers a plastic plug will not help in the field where the EVF is used for run and gun applications.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 03:20 PM   #35
New Boot

I don't think the sun caught it the second time, but I do shoot with glasses. Have for years. Interesting.

It just happened so fast. Could not have been more than a few seconds each time. And I shot all last summer without a problem on some very bright days, mostly run and gun or mono pod. Weird how it happened now and not previous.

FYI I ordered from the first batch to hit western Canada June 2009. Thank goodness for the two year Canadian warranty...I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Larry,

Do you wear glasses when using the camera?

Or did the sun catch the viewfinder at any stage?
Larry Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2011, 06:06 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Interesting that Canon still hasn't got to the bottom of this issue... I am too scared to use mine outside in sunlight now...

Even if its covered by warranty its the downtime that the camera is away that's the issue. I spoke to Canon Australia the other day and they claimed to have 'heard' of the issue 'somewhere' but just said that if it appears to send them the camera... not good enough Canon.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:32 PM   #37
New Boot

Location: Berrien Springs, MI (Now spending most of my days in Vietnam)

Yeah, mine got hit the first day out. I don't think it was even that bright of a day. The viewfinder is so full of green blobs that I can't use the viewfinder. I have been shooting for 20 years and have never seen this problem before...
Stock Video: www.pond5.com
Frank Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 01:02 AM   #38
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
It sure can. The same glass eyepiece that enlarges the image in the viewfinder can also act as a magnifier for sunlight going in. It can then burn the small monitor inside, like a magnifying glass does to a leaf. I've seen viewfinders with this damage.
I thought about this for a while, but I am not so sure it is the problem of sunlight burn, that would just leave a central burn mark. The Yellow?Green blobs are randomly placed and do not have a consistent shape.

I still haven't taken my camera in for repair, I am not so sure that the problem will not come back again.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:36 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Know this problem since more than a year. For two times Canon changed the view-finder, now I have the same problem for the third time. Canon tells me, that I have to pay it on my own now. Costs around 300 Euros. Finally this is not a camera you can use outside. Never hat this problem with other camcorders. Canon should work out a solution for every XF-Owner.

Reinhard
Reinhard Kungel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 03:31 AM   #40
Trustee

The problem is with a protective layer in the viewfinder, not the actual screen. If you move your head slightly then the image on screen remains in the same position under the "floating" blobs. This indicates it is on the coating rather than the screen.

I am also sure the problem will come back once the screen has been replaced,
Old July 23rd, 2011, 07:26 AM   #41
Go Cycle

This is starting to sound like the Error Rate Adjusment debacle on the JVC 500 and the dead pixels on the shoulder mounted Panny 200 series issue.

It's time for Canon to step up to the plate and acknowledge that there is a flaw with the EVF and it has to be addressed. I am sure if there are enough professionals having this problem that it is not the camera operators fault. Hummmm....time for a class action lawsuit???????????
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:27 AM   #42
New Boot

Has anyone had this problem with the XF100? I am trying to protect its viewfinder when in the sun but I know there have been times when its seen many direct hits. No problems as of yet.
Robert Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2011, 05:39 PM   #43
Go Cycle

So far no problems with my XF-100 and the HF G10. Now, the XF-300 is another story. However, Canon has a great solution for the XF-300........a plastic EVF plug :-) Now that's funny and low tech..
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #44
New Boot

I have not yet found the time to park my xf300 long enough to not effect work, so am getting by with tape on the viewfinder and using the screen. Not the best, but I have to do what I have to do.

Am posting a couple of photos to show the damage, one with the cam powered up, another off so you can see it clearly burned in.

From reading other posts here I am hoping this will be covered, but I am almost ready to get it fixed and put up for sale. I simply cannot live with this and do not have the time to chase Canon should it happen again, so I will shoot until I have a month off before the warranty is up next summer.

Crazy how some of us have this and others do not. Makes for a difficult issue to deal with.

LP
Attached Thumbnails
Burned artifacts in viewfinder!-xf300vf-02.jpg   Burned artifacts in viewfinder!-xf300vf-01.jpg  

Old July 30th, 2011, 10:59 AM   #45
Major Player

I just received an XF305 that had been back-ordered since the quake, so think it's a current one. It came with the eyepiece cover.

In less than a week, I've got bad blobs in the viewfinder - bad enough to interfere with normal use. I knew about this issue and was careful not to let the eyepiece point toward the sun.

It's still a problem.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders