XF plug in for FCP question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 12th, 2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XF plug in for FCP question

Hi
I have a question and hope you maybe able to solve it. I have shot some footage @ 1920 x 1080 50mbs and want to edit it using FCP, so I have gone to Log & Transfer and used the plug in to get the footage into fcp but I think it's pro res 422 HQ and really I would like to use pro res 422 LT just to save hard disk space and also I hope that it means that I won't have to recompress the finished video after exporting it as on my 1st little edit of 30 seconds the video which I exported as a QT was 523mb! which I think is quite large for 30 secs of video especially as I just wanted to put a quick test up on VImeo to show a client. Any ideas and help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Moreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM   #2
Inner Circle

It should be a setting in the Preferences for the Canon XF Log & Transfer Plugin. Open up Log and Transfer then click on the little gear wheel in the middle at the top & select Preferences then click on the Target Format for the Canon XF Source Format. You should have a choice of a variety of ProRes formats plus Native for importing the re-wrapped MXF files which is the fastest option & apparently FCP handles the native files just fine. As you may gather I don't yet own an XF300 so my knowledge in this area is currently all theoretical:-)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Nigel, Thanks for that. I'm now wondering why I would want to use Pro res rather than the native codec which seems to be xdcam 422? Any thoughts?
Mark
Mark Moreve is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders