DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   How do you see Canon's line up down the line? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/483458-how-do-you-see-canons-line-up-down-line.html)

Jim Martin August 19th, 2010 02:00 PM

The project manager gets reports from the team........

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Les Wilson August 19th, 2010 09:14 PM

great...filtered opinions...

Lou Bruno August 20th, 2010 07:22 PM

100% correct according to my sources. No more tape.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Martin (Post 1560042)
From what I'm understanding, the XL H1a & s will be done by the end of the year........and, I'm just guessing here, then something new will show up!

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Jim Martin August 21st, 2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1560804)
great...filtered opinions...

The manager doesn't speak or read english.........

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Chris Hurd August 21st, 2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1560630)
I think I'd rather the product managers read this forum.

I can assure you in no uncertain terms that they do, with punctual regularity.

Decision makers at Canon USA as well as Canon Inc. in Japan follow not just this forum but all of DV Info Net quite closely. How do I know? Because I attend the same trade shows and industry events as they do, where I see them often, and they tell me so all the time. Rest assured that they are monitoring your feedback here on a continuous basis.

Hope this helps,

Glen Vandermolen August 21st, 2010 01:00 PM

In that case...

Canon, if you need someone to demo one of your XF305s, or whatever else you have coming down the pipeline, I'm available!

David Rice August 21st, 2010 01:22 PM

Canon listen up. I want a camcorder similar to the A1s with 4:2:2: color, a 35 mbps data rate, and for less than $4,500 by Christmass,

Dave

Jim Martin August 23rd, 2010 10:43 AM

Dave-

Why would you want 35mb when you can have 50mb........aim higher!

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

David Rice August 23rd, 2010 11:49 AM

I can't afford a $7,000 camcorder.

John Ray August 23rd, 2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Rice (Post 1560300)
I have been waiting and saving for two years for Canon to replace the A1 with a tapeless solution. I need that 20x lens, a 25 bit data rate or higher, and I want the Canon quality and warranty.

However, if Canon does not produce the camera in the $4,000 price range by Christmas, I will be forced to buy a Sony.

It makes no sense for me to spend $3,000 on old technology and replace my lost A1 with a new one. Buying a used one for $2,500 doesn't make sense either.

If a 15 year Canon customer like myself, is no longer part of "Canon's Marketing Strategy", then it's time for me to move on.

Sad but true..I use Canon DSLRS(5dmkii and 1Dmkiii) Still have my Gl1,GL2 and 2 XHA1 cams..no way i I can do 2 XF cams...and I would need at least two for the type of events I do....The XHs will have to do until something else comes along...be it Canon or otherwise..

Glen Vandermolen August 23rd, 2010 03:07 PM

It does seem Canon is marketing this camera toward the broadcast segment. This camera is broadcast-capable right out of the box - just ask the BBC. I'll admit, that's one of its biggest appeals to me. Does the event videography market really need a $7-8,000, 50mbps codec, 4:2:2 color camera with HD/SDI and gen lock ports?

I believe Les said it best: Canon is aiming toward the tv news stations with an affordable (for them) camcorder. Taking on Panasonic's HPX370s, 1/3" CMOS against 1/3" CMOS. Canon does have the edge on affordable, non-proprietary media storage, though.

David Rice August 23rd, 2010 03:58 PM

Does that mean Canon is giving up on the mid range $2,500-$5,000 Camcorder market?

If so, I wish they would make that public soon, so I can move on.....

Jim Martin August 23rd, 2010 04:51 PM

David......

If you look at the history at Canon....The A1/G1 came out 1 to 1 1/2 years later if I remember, so they are not going to put out a lesser expensive model right after they put out the 300/305. So, unless your current cameras are going kaput then I'd wait for what you want and can afford. Canon did say when they announced this new codec back in January, that it "would be the codec on all future professional cameras". So I'm guessing that we will see a camera at the price point you want......just not now or in the near future.

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Les Wilson August 23rd, 2010 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Rice (Post 1561872)
Does that mean Canon is giving up on the mid range $2,500-$5,000 Camcorder market?

If so, I wish they would make that public soon, so I can move on.....

Seems to me that Canon is in a tough competitive situation with the DSLR market possibly collapsing and being almost 2 years behind on their camcorder line. I doubt you would see any public statement that would turn over a segment to it's competition. THe $2500-$5000 is where the problem is.

If you are like me, you have outgrown your A1, you want to go to solid state, waited patiently and there still isn't a model from Canon with modern features like last year's Sony's have and there's nothing in sight. All you can do is Frankenstein your kit with firewire add-ons like the $1200 Focus Enhancement or Sony MRC1 device. If you want improved low-light, hires screen and other modern features, Sony's 2009 Z5 allows the MRC1 add-on and gives you the 20x lens you are used to. The 2009 Sony Z7 has the MRC1 included, drops to a 14x lens but gives you interchangeable lenses. Sony's new NX5 may be attractive with modern features, AVC CODEC and fully solid state. I think JVC may have an SS dog in the fight but I haven't researched them. The Sony EX1R is a step up feature and price wise to a more professional camera and gives you the benefits of 1/2" sensors at only 35MB. If you want the DOF of HDSLRs, Panny and Sony both are shipping one this fall.

David Rice August 23rd, 2010 06:48 PM

I currently have no camera. I live on a small pension, and I have a debilitating neurological disease. In October I'll have close to $5,000 to spend. Due to my circumstances, my next camera will no doubt be my last. So I need to do it right.

I can't see replacing the old A1 with a new A1s for $3,600. The xf300 is out of the question. So is the Sony Ex1R. I could try to buy a used A1s for around $2,800, but I live on a isolated Island in Alaska, and I would have to buy it site unseen from a unknown seller. Too many bad past experiences to do that again. People, Corporations, and Businesses enjoy sending their "seconds" to Alaska. They know we can't afford to send them back.

Even if I did buy a A1s, it would be very expensive to upgrade it.

I would like to buy something by Christmas in order to begin filming again in early spring.