DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   How do you see Canon's line up down the line? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/483458-how-do-you-see-canons-line-up-down-line.html)

Glen Vandermolen September 6th, 2010 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronan Fournier (Post 1566400)
Am I the only XLH1 owner waiting for an interchangeable lens version of the XF 305?

No, i doubt you're the only one.

Why do you want the interchangeable lens feature? Apparently the lens on the XF cams is very, very good, maybe the best in its class. Will you gain anything by switching lenses? Are there that many quality 1/3" lenses out there? I can understand on a 2/3" cam with the many lens choices you have, but do you really benefit that much with a 1/3" cam?

Paul Doherty September 6th, 2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 1566440)
Why do you want the interchangeable lens feature? Apparently the lens on the XF cams is very, very good, maybe the best in its class. Will you gain anything by switching lenses? Are there that many quality 1/3" lenses out there? I can understand on a 2/3" cam with the many lens choices you have, but do you really benefit that much with a 1/3" cam?

One obvious use is for the EF adaptor with still lenses - a great combination for wildlife and other situations calling for high magnification.

Pete Bauer September 6th, 2010 08:44 AM

Glen, to answer your question, yes, I use both the 20X and the 6X lens regularly. Just two weeks ago, I went to a shoot with the 20X lens on the camera and ALMOST didn't bring along the 6X because I (lazily) thought I wouldn't need it that day and already had too much stuff to drag along on an especially hot, humid day. As soon as I arrived, you guessed it, the 6X immediately went on the camera to save the day. Could one use an XF300 plus a wide adaptor in a situation like that? It probably would get the job done in most situations but certainly not better than an equivalent interchangeable lens camera.

Also, I don't personally use EF lenses with the XL but many do, especially those shooting nature stuff. The current XF cameras don't really accommodate that niche.

Like many, I'm not at the 2/3" interchangeable lens type camera price point, so I'm eagerly waiting to see if and when there will be an XF version of the XL cameras to stick that 6X lens onto. In the meantime, as much as I want to put tape behind me, I'm not ready to drop so much money on the current XF -- as an interim solution.

Ronan Fournier September 6th, 2010 09:16 AM

As Paul has guessed, I use the EF adapter for wildlife, with the EF 300mm for long shots and the 100mm macro (which becomes a 700mm macro (24x36 equivalent) on the XLH1 ! :-)
You can't do this kind of stuff with the 18x zoom lens of the XF305, unfortunatly. But it's possible could with the Sony EX3, so Canon, I hope you're listening!

Glen Vandermolen September 6th, 2010 09:29 AM

Interesting points, gentlemen.
I wouldn't be surprised if Canon makes an interchangeable lens XF. After all, they do make the XLs. They certainly have the know-how.

Pete Bauer September 6th, 2010 09:39 AM

There certainly are many of us hoping (if not expecting). I'm just a bit afraid of what the price might be, given how much the first XF cameras cost. Also FWIW, since the "affordable" video world seems to be going CMOS, I sure hope that CMOS global shutter is in the wings.

Alan Emery September 6th, 2010 10:12 AM

I second Pete's hope! I also shoot wildlife and macro close up using the XL H1s and (in my case) Nikon lenses. If the hoped for XF ... interchangeable system is in a reasonable price range, it would open up a world of potential for nature work videographers in a superior quality.

Alan

Leon Lorenz September 6th, 2010 11:03 AM

As a wildlife filmmaker I'm also waiting to see if Canon will soon release an interchangeable lens model of the XF series. I've used the XLH1 for more than 4 years and hope to go tapeless soon. The main thing though is having full HD camera that's approved by companies like BBC and having the ability to add a night vision lens or attach higher power. I believe it may happen by years end and in the meantime I'll keep shooting on what I have for 2 films, after all it's hard work that gets rare footage and not cameras, right?

Leon Lorenz
Canadian Wildlife Productions: Grizzly Bears, Bighorm Sheep in Alberta & BC Rockies DVD Videos

Don Miller September 8th, 2010 06:09 AM

Getting a removable lens version of XF is certainly complicated by DSLR. Does Canon consider the needs of an ultra-long lens shooter like a wildlife filmaker? I doubt it.
What's also unclear to me is how the Japanese companies have divided up the market in this new era. What boundaries still concern Canon? How has the potential of RED influenced future products? Post iPhone, iPod etc they certainly take RED seriously.

The really good news is how good these new models look. I don't really care who makes high quality affordable equipment as long as those products are available. We are reaching the point where camera IQ will be similar across a wide range of models and price point is about features and glass.

Jim Martin September 10th, 2010 02:13 PM

Anyone at IBC going to or been to the Canon booth yet??? Is there anything hiding under glass???

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com

Ronald Jackson September 12th, 2010 02:43 AM

Given that the XF cameras meet e.g. the BBC specs. for broadcasting (unlike the Sony EXs) and assuming that this was intentional on the part of Canon, could we not expect a interchangeable lens XF which not only takes EF lenses but also, given that it meets "broadcasting specs", comes with a range of Canon "mini" broadcast lenses?

Wishful thinking , but would that any such new lens (40x zoom?) is both affordable and fits my XLH1.

Ron

Sabyasachi Patra October 11th, 2010 11:08 AM

I am waiting for an interchangeable lens version of the XF. I have Canon prime lenses (300, 400 f2.8L IS) to use. People may say that 7*400 = 2800 and that is too much. However, there are situations where that would be the only solution. I have purposefully planned a project by 2011 Nov/Dec hoping for such a camera to be in place. If not, then I have to buy something else.