XF300 and XF305 instant discounts now at B&H - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #16
Major Player

I view things the way you do, Buck, I hope CANON is also checking the posts and lowers the prices accordingly.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Forester View Post
It just doesn't seem this new Canon is packing the online forum houses. How that translates into 'reality' I have no idea.
Sorry but it doesn't translate into reality very well at all. Trust me, as I have
been in the forum business for well over a decade. The most forum activity
comes along when there is some sort of perceived tech problem. Otherwise
outside of the dedicated forum audience that actually uses it on a day to
day basis (bless you all), a message board to the rest of the world is a lot
like the police department... they don't call upon it unless there's trouble.

On top of that, only a small fraction of camera owners are online talking
about their cameras -- too small of a base to draw any real conclusions,
and that applies to photo, video, etc., online anywhere.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Major Player

Chris would certainly be more knowledgeable than me regarding this, so I will concede his point. I shoot Canon stills and have a 5D MK II so I am all for this camera rockin' it.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #19
Major Player

I hope Canon notes that the 51,000 views about the Sony videocam with interchangeable lenses in the Digital Video Industry News section isn't because of a technical problem. Get with it CANON!
Old October 6th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
I view things the way you do, Buck, I hope CANON is also checking the posts and lowers the prices accordingly.
Lower prices??? The 300 & 305 pricing is right where the EX1 & EX3 are. Why should they be lower, especially, among other features, with a higher codec......this whole line of discussion has been gone over in other posts.....too much. The $6500-$7500 range is right where the top cameras in their class have been landing for a while.

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 01:42 PM   #21
Major Player

At that price , and with the lack of a firewire output for secondary backup, and low-light performance not generating particular excitement in the forums, I'll be checking out Sony products for the first time.
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #22
Major Player

To be fair Galen, there are plenty of other outputs that (component, HDMI, HDSDI on the 305) that allow you to record to an external device uncompressed - personally I don't consider firewire an omission.

True, it's not a low-light king, but it's not bad performer in this respect either, about par for the course.

The XL-H1 went for considerably more ($9000) when it first came out and these new cameras beat it on every level. If you're making money from the camera - which I expect most XF users are - the price isn't really an issue.

It provides enough benefits over the EX to justify the cost; this camera actually drew me back to Canon (I had a Z5 prior to the XF). I think most people buying the XF are doing so based on features, not price.

Even when Canon does come out with a DSLR/camcorder crossover, there will continue to be a market for the XF.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
I hope Canon notes that the 51,000 views about the Sony videocam with interchangeable lenses in the Digital Video Industry News section isn't because of a technical problem. Get with it CANON!
Completely different market. The Sony you refer to isn't even worth contemplating for the work I do, and I expect it's the same for most XF buyers.
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #24
Major Player

Josh, I was not comparing the two cameras, I was pointing out the kinds of things that get customers excited.
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #25
Major Player

To be fair Galen, there are plenty of other outputs that (component, HDMI, HDSDI on t

Josh, then why did you make this post in another thread on October 8, which discusses the omission of a firewire port, you sounded sympathetic to Michael there?

I have the same concern as Michael. Tapeless = great. Having to rely on a single CF card to perform flawlessly during a critical shoot = worrying.

I had a CF card fail on me when recording to the 5DII last year - it was a new, undamaged card - there was no indication of a problem while recording but back in the studio several files were unrecoverable.

Each time I record an interview for a client on the XF I do cross my fingers that my cards will perform. I'm using Sandisk Extreme - after reading Doug's post I'll consider switching to Hoodman. The Nexto unit is useful but doesn't solve the issue of card failure - something like the Ninja or Nano makes sense...

The XF100/105 has the ability to record to both cards at once... does this seem like something Canon could address for the 300/305 with a firmware update? It makes a lot of sense - for critical work I'd definitely like that insurance.

Last edited by Galen Rath; October 12th, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #26
Major Player

My post makes no mention of Firewire - it was about the reliability of CF cards (just yesterday I bought hoodman cards as these are said to be most secure).

For backup or external recording, superior options would be uncompressed output to the Nano, upcoming Ninja and Kipro Mini or an equivalent device; these are options I am considering.

Is there any firewire only recorder that can record 1920x1080, 422@50mb+? If not we're discussing backing up to an inferior format: once more, not something I would consider an omission on Canon's part, though I guess if someone has a legacy device this may be handy as an emergency backup.

Back to your comment, "Get with it CANON!" rather speaks for itself. Yes, the large sensor cameras are getting people excited at the moment (I bought a 5DII the moment they came out so I'm not immune to the buzz), but that doesn't make the XF any less relevant; these cameras are built for a specific market to do specific work. They serve this purpose very well indeed.
Old January 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #27
New Boot

I was expecting its price to drop near the $5500 line by now.
Omar Torresola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #28
Trustee

Dream on! First, for what the camera actually does performance-wise it's only got a couple of direct competitors and is right in line with those. It's far better than the crowded $2k-$5k camera segment and really can compete with cameras in the $10k range. (in my humble opinion!) Would it have been nice to pay less? Of course! But Canon isn't going to drop pricing significantly til they have a direct replacement. If you cant afford the 300/305, as I mentioned, plenty of good cameras in the next segment down.
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #29
New Boot

Canon has rebates for other products like lenses. I'm thinking of a promotion; not permanently.
Omar Torresola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders