Flash banding? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 6th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #1
New Boot

Flash banding?

Does the new canon have a fix for flash banding like the xdcam clip browser does? I was filming a wedding the other day where the photographer was going nuts with the flash. I'd like to get a xf305 as the codec might hold up to panning a bit more than the ex3. And of course push auto focus might work.
Steve Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Vortex Media

I wasn't aware the EX3 has any problems with panning. What issues have you seen?

I owned an EX3 for couple of years and had zero complaints. I never saw any issues at all with panning.
Old December 8th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #3
New Boot

Panning

When the EX camera is still, the level of detail and sharpness is amazing. When I pan it goes much softer and then when it is still again it snaps back into crystal clear focus.

I'm thinking that this is due to the limitations of the codec and that the 50Mbps of the Canon would perform better. Not having tried a Nano to test this, I could of course be wrong!
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #4
Vortex Media

Yes, I know you are wrong.

There are no panning problems with the EX camcorders. Your camera is either broken. Or you're using the wrong settings. Or you're not monitoring the output properly and the "problem" does not even exist at all. The 35Mbps codec is just fine.

Here's quite a few examples of fast panning with my EX3 at 35 Mbps. No grading or special processing has been applied.

Old December 9th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #5
Major Player

doug-

you have a great eye and your footage always allows the ex1 to shine.

i really liked the two p51 mustangs (i think?) at :50sec.

thanks for taking the time to make your point.

be well

rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Vortex Media

Rob, thank you very much for the compliments. I shot it just for fun. In fact, as you can tell from the footage it was all shot from one spot in the middle of the crowd. One of these year's I'll have to request VIP access to a better location. A nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon.
Old December 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Take a look at this explanation of detail correction and how it works for the most likely reason as to why your pictures go soft when you pan.

XDCAM-USER.com Why do my pictures go soft when I pan? Camera Detail Correction in depth.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:17 PM   #8
New Boot

Thanks Alister

Happy New year!
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Flash BandingI am looking at buying

I am looking at buying a Canon XF 100 but am also concerned about the flash banding problems with the rolling shutter. This post answered the panning question but no one seemed to reply to the flash banding part. Are there settings or other methods to solve this?
Thanks
Mike
Mike Ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Flash Banding

A 100 looks & no info????
Old January 18th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I too was wondering why this topic just dropped off. No one really knows about the banding of a camera that hasn't been released yet, though. It's the same sensor as the XF300, which has a relatively fast scan rate, and still has problems. Considering that the CPU/DSP in the XF100 will probably be roughly the same as the XF300, or any CMOS camera, for that matter. Sony cameras use a multi-scan system where the sensor is read 5 times per frame, and even they have flash banding. Don't expect a solution until someone figures out how to cheaply implement a global-shutter CMOS.
Renny Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Flash Banding

Renny
Thanks for the reply, Is it just cost or are there technical reasons they dont have Global shutters on cmos cameras? I have to shoot when flashes are going off all the time. This seems to be a problem that needs to be solved.
Regards
Mike
Old January 20th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Slowest possible shutter speed will reduce the amount of Flash Banding as it increases the integration period which decreases the amount of times the flash will go off during the scan period. So shooting progressive with no shutter will almost certainly produce less flash banding than interlace. BUT 25P or 30P with no shutter tends to be a bit soft during any camera motion, so there are pro's and con's to be considered.

When I shoot lightning with an EX I when possible I use a 2 frame shutter and get perfect results almost every time, but that's not going to work with any camera motion.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders