XF305 MXF Files and Avid Low-Res Playback Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 18th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #1
Major Player

XF305 MXF Files and Avid Low-Res Playback Problem

A friend of mine just purchased a XF305 and has used an Avid Media Composer 5 for XDCAM EX and Phantom footage and Avid imports and plays back the footage very well in HD via an HD SDI monitor.

The XF305 MXF files can be imported to Avid as well, but they play back at a low resolution, like SD or worse. She is getting a bit of the runaround from Canon and Avid on this combination, though it seems both should support each other. She isn't too technical with the Avid and I'm a FCP and Premiere Pro user and don't know Avid well at all though I could probably research it and figure it out given enough time. She's installed the latest files from Canon that supposedly help with Avid AMA support but to no avail.

The Canon can play back the files directly from it's compact flash via the SDI port to the monitor and they are HD files at high resolution with no jaggies.

Are there any Media Composer / XF305 users out there that have any tips or hints for her to be able to view the XF305 footage in HD, is there some setting on import, etc that would lead to a quick solution?

I realize that there is probably a lot I could try, but I'm attempting to save a little time if this is an known issue with a workaround.

Thanks much for any advice.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 01:50 AM   #2
Major Player

Is your friend definitely on MC5? You'll need version 5.0.3 or greater for native XF support with minimum fuss. Then all you need to do is enable and use AMA to read/play-back the files on the CF card within Avid. Then you should use the 'Consolidate' command to copy the files to Avid's native media pool. It works perfectly on our systems.

What you don't do is use the legacy 'Import' function.

Also, it sounds like your friend might be in an SD project and have play-back quality toggled down - but that's just a guess!

PM me if you need more help.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders