4:2:2 Colour Sampling for XF300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 19th, 2011, 06:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

4:2:2 Colour Sampling for XF300

I came across some of the cameras which have 4:2:2 colour sampling and maybe even 4:4:4, and found that these uncompressed high resolution can be captured via HD-SDI. Canon XF300 is not provided with HD-SDI bnc connection like its peer XF305 for capturing purpose. How can we obtain this high colour sampling? Is it the HDMI that provides this quality output?
Haitham Lawati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitham Lawati
How can we obtain this high colour sampling?
Record to the internal Compact Flash cards.

The XF300 (and 305) have the 422 50Mbs codec built in, so the native recordings are 4:2:2 by default. Why should you need an external recorder with this camera?

But don't put too much emphasis on the 4:2:2 aspect in comparing cameras anyway. It's a ratio of chroma pixels to luminance pixels - NOT an absolute value. A full raster 4:2:0 recording is likely to be better than a subsampled 4:2:2 one, and that's before you even start to think about the camera front ends....
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:59 AM   #3
Trustee

Yeah...tech specs only tell part of the story. The 300/305 are fantastic cameras even with the 1/3" chips. Only camera close for around the same money is the sony ex1r. I have cut tons of footage from the ex1 and ex1r and stressing it's a bit subjective, I prefer the Canon.

If the 422 or better is important to you, I'll take a stab and guess you want to do some chroma key work. A huge chunk of my biz is greenscreen and I will say the XF does an amazing job. For a standalone camera under $10k you won't find anything better.
Old January 19th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #4
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
Record to the internal Compact Flash cards.

The XF300 (and 305) have the 422 50Mbs codec built in, so the native recordings are 4:2:2 by default. Why should you need an external recorder with this camera?

But don't put too much emphasis on the 4:2:2 aspect in comparing cameras anyway. It's a ratio of chroma pixels to luminance pixels - NOT an absolute value. A full raster 4:2:0 recording is likely to be better than a subsampled 4:2:2 one, and that's before you even start to think about the camera front ends....
...but in the case of the XF300, it already has full raster 4:2:2, along with an excellent front end - correct?

Not sure, but I suppose one could also record uncompressed through the HDMI port on the 300 version, if you wanted higher than 50mbps. But I think the codec is just fine as it is.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen
...but in the case of the XF300, it already has full raster 4:2:2, along with an excellent front end - correct?
Yes, correct. The previous statement was intended more in a very general sense.

It's a question of where lines are drawn. The front end of the XF300 is indeed very good, but that's not to say it's perfect - if only because of depth of field issues. But to get better, expect to pay a lot more - where do you draw lines?
David Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #6
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Heath View Post
It's a question of where lines are drawn. The front end of the XF300 is indeed very good, but that's not to say it's perfect - if only because of depth of field issues. But to get better, expect to pay a lot more - where do you draw lines?
I draw my line at the "expect to pay a lot more." That's why I'm so interested in the Canons. What other camera has a broadcast codec, 4" LCD, sharp lens, full raster 1920 x 1080 chips, professional inputs and outputs (from the 305), fully approved by the BBC, all for under $7,500? I can't think of any other.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders