Two problems with the XF305 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 4th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #16
Trustee

Ignore my posts above, I have a fault on my camera. The quality of XF305 cameras will be much better than I have shown. :-(
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #17
Trustee

Phew! I'm glad to hear that - well, not that you've got a fault Vincent of course - let's hope it gets fixed soon for you - but that there was a fault and not all these camera are the same, since I'm about to push the "buy" button on an XF300...

Regards
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #18
Trustee

Putting aside the two problems, the XF 305 is an excellent camera, perhaps a bit too heavy for long handheld shots. Like any other camera it does have a few annoying points, the Power ON/OFF switch, etc I still love my EX3. and will continue to use it as my A camera. That also has some annoying points but I have found ways to get around these, just as I will with the XF305
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #19
Trustee

Yes, I've noticed that the ON/OFF switch is a bit awkward - a bother to get it into the central position I've found.
I'll forgive Canon that though...
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:33 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Putting aside the two problems, the XF 305 is an excellent camera, perhaps a bit too heavy for long handheld shots. Like any other camera it does have a few annoying points, the Power ON/OFF switch, etc I still love my EX3. and will continue to use it as my A camera. That also has some annoying points but I have found ways to get around these, just as I will with the XF305
When I was researching the EX1r and XF300 I read an equal number of posts about both models having some minor annoying points but nothing that would make you not buy them.

I'm not saying any of you are wrong but for me personally the on/off switch is not a problem at all. They could have made it a better switch but I wouldn't for one minute say it put me off buying this camera when I tested it or since buying it.

The most annoying thing about the XF300 is trying to find a bag to get it in along with my DSLR gear!

Andy S
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:12 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Solaini View Post

The most annoying thing about the XF300 is trying to find a bag to get it in along with my DSLR gear!

Andy S
Kata OMB large fits my 300, 7D all my lenses, audio, toolkit, cables and more. Thankfully it has a baggage dolly cause it's freekin heavy!

BTW, mine has no color shift with ND filters and last night recorded my 3rd 2.5 hour show on this camera and have not missed a frame on the card switch over. My only annoyances so far are the lanc controller sensitivity (my panny hmc150 controller was much smoother) and then there's that on/off switch!
Otherwise, couldn't be happier with the 300.
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
Ignore my posts above, I have a fault on my camera. The quality of XF305 cameras will be much better than I have shown. :-(
Sorry to hear that Vincent! Just curious what troubles you're having? And if you'll be sending it in to Canon what their response would be?

Best,
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:59 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Solaini View Post
The most annoying thing about the XF300 is trying to find a bag to get it in along with my DSLR gear!Andy S
I'm still looking around for quality backpack for the XF300 :(

Best,
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:50 AM   #24
Major Player

The Kata OMB looks big enough but I am really after a backpack style bag as I do a lot of shoots while hiking and generally walking around places.

I have found this one that might work for both DSLR and XF300. PCBP-2N | petrolbags.com
It wouldn't fit in carry-on on a plane but there are some options to get around that.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2011, 10:52 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Vincent, that pink haze has nothing to do with the camera. It's down to air pollution eminating from the building in the centre of the picture. :)
Old February 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #26
Trustee

Maybe you have a point Ray, the only trouble with that is that we now have Tory Blue, not Labour Pink.
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #27
Major Player

Vincent,

Was this your own camera or a pre-production test camera?

This was a problem with some of the pre-poduction cameras, but I have never seen this effect on any of the production cameras that I have used.
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #28
Trustee

Yeah, I remember at certain white balance settings the ND would "automatically" change the color cast.
Old February 11th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #29
Trustee

I have just completed a couple of test shoots using a 300X and 600X Lexar professional card. Filming the sane scene for 24 minutes on each card (sorry very boring footage) The 300X card does not keep up with the camera data and I still get dropped garbage footage when it reaches 7 or 8 minute mark, The 600x card has no problem and plays continuously through each block of 7-8 minutes.

This could be a faulty 300x card, although I have my doubts on this, or maybe this camera needs a faster card such as the 600x. Has anyone else had a problem, please let us know which cards work for you. The problem is with long takes (7 - 8+ minutes), on shorter takes the 300x card works fine.

Will do some further testing and upload the crossover point.
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #30
Major Player

Vincent, I've not tested it with really long clips yet but my Transcend 400x 32GB UDMA cards seem to work fine.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders