Two problems with the XF305 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old January 30th, 2011, 06:07 AM   #1
Trustee

Two problems with the XF305

Does anyone else have a problem with the continuity of video clips, I have recorded three stage productions using the XF305 as my B camera (Sony EX3 as the A camera). The XF camera splits the clips up into roughly 7 min chunks. The problem I have is that the joins are all over the place, a few blank frames, jump in sound, pixelation etc. The clips steady out again after approx 15 seconds, this does mean I lose 15 seconds between each clip . Fortunately I have been able to cover the lost “footage” with the EX3 material. My worry is that I may not be so lucky on the next shoot. I am using 16gb Lexar Professional 300X CF UDMA cards.

The other unrelated problem is that when switching to the No 1 ND filter, there is a heavy pink cast – any ideas? Has anyone else experienced a shift in colour (color)?

Otherwise the XF305 is a nice camera, great clean shots, but still love my EX3 more :-)
Old January 30th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Oliver, I have record several events that are several hours long and have not found any problems when I put the files together. It all looks good to me. No lost frames. Nothing.

I am using either ScanDis 64 gb Extreme Pro or Adata 533x 32 gb for memory.

Good luck in locating your problem. James
James Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #3
Trustee

I suspect it is a memory card problem, or perhaps my memory card reader. I will continue with my search for the answer.

Thanks

Regards Vincent
Old February 1st, 2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Major Player

I have never seen the 'continuity' problem with the many XFs I have shot with.

Not sure what you are using, but USB readers can be a problem, as can unsupported cards.

Good luck!
Old February 2nd, 2011, 01:37 AM   #5
Trustee

The Lexar USB reader together with Lexar Professional 300X 16gb cards. The end of each clip (aka chunk) when viewed in camera doesn't display the same garbage that is visible in my NLE. However, there is a pause in the continuity when pre-viewed in camera.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Major Player

USB is not great for moving large chunks of data. I have seen errors in the past with still images (corruption of files). Try a Firewire 800 reader, it will cut copy time to around 1/4 or less
Old February 2nd, 2011, 02:58 AM   #7
Trustee

Thanks for the suggestion will give it a go, although I have never had any problems with transferring large amounts of data from my EX3 using the same USB reader.

Vincent
editor of photo-i – digital photography
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:14 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
However, there is a pause in the continuity when pre-viewed in camera.
I didn't read this carefully enough. It must be card related, especially if the USB Reader is 'known good'
Old February 2nd, 2011, 03:26 AM   #9
Trustee

Yes, I am also suspecting it is a card related problem, I will get on to Lexar and ask them to send another card.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

btw. do you have a XF305 or when you used it did you notice a shift in colour when switching in the ND filter. I had (have) a similar problem with a XL1s although I rarely use it now-day's.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 06:32 AM   #10
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
do you have a XF305 or when you used it did you notice a shift in colour when switching in the ND filter. .
As I point out in my XF305/XF300 training DVD, Canon says that you should re-white balance when you change ND filters. Apparently they did not build the filters to very close tolerances.
Personally, I have not noticed any problems when changing ND filters, but Canon does warn you about it.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:01 AM   #11
Trustee

Thanks for your input Doug, changing white balance for every change of ND is not always practical, and in an ideal world shouldn't be necessary.

Here are two shots taken approx 20 minutes appart. The pink cast is with X64 ND and the other is with X16 ND, both were shot with a white balance of 6200k.

These images are reduced in size for display here, but should give the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Two problems with the XF305-x64nd.jpg   Two problems with the XF305-x16nd.jpg  

Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:39 AM   #12
Vortex Media

Hi Vincent,

Oh, don't misunderstand me, I'm sure the problem exists. I'm just saying I've never noticed it first hand. Also, I think is is inexcusable for Canon to build a professional camera with this flaw. I'm on your side, just merely pointing out that Canon does warn about it in the manual. I think that's better than just ignoring the issue altogether.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:47 AM   #13
Trustee

No misunderstanding Doug, I hear what you say. Like most issues on any camera there is always a workaround. My Sony EX3 has the IR problem, which can be resolved with a filter. The pink cast on this XF305 can be resolved with a new W/B etc. It just seems that we are the ones who have to solve the problem, wouldn't it be nice if manufactures got it right

Hope your XF300/305 DVDs do well, I certainly found your EX3 DVDs to be invaluable and a great reference.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:48 PM   #14
Trustee

How did you transfer your files? Using the included Canon software? I haven't shot any long files with my XF300, but in the past when using an AVCHD camera and long files, the software was required to transfer the split files correctly without glitches at the cut points between sections.
Jay Massengill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:21 AM   #15
Major Player

Hi

I saw the different images from the XF300 in the post above. It seems unbeliveable that there can be such huge difference in colour just by switching ND filters. I have a XH-A1 myself and have never noticed any color shift by switching ND filter. I've also checked tha manuals for both the XH-A1 and the XF300 and both manuals state that there can be a colour shift when switching ND filter and that a new WB might be made. Can anyone confirm that the colour shift between the different ND filters is so dramatic as the above pictures indicate? For me it seems as if the camcorder is using two completely different picture profiles, not just different ND filters.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders