XF300 advice needed re media storage & letus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XF300 advice needed re media storage & letus

Hi all,

I put a deposit down on an AF101, but yesterday decided to cancel and get the XF300 instead. I've already got an XHA1, so it makes more sense to go that route.

I've read through this section, but I still have a few questions about using the XF, so please bear with me.

1. Is there an external recorder that I can attach to the XF300? I often record 5+ hours in a single day and I really don't want to carry a load of cards with me. Any suggestions?

2. I originally wanted the Af101 because of it's depth of field, so now I'm considering getting a Letus kit for the XF300. Anyone done this? Will it work?

I suppose the other option is to get a Canon 5D as a second acmera, but I really don't want to do that.

3. Bit of a dumb question ...but.... can I mix the XHA1 footage with the XF300 footage? Was thinking of keeping the XHA1 as a second camera. I'm currently using that and a HV30 together.

If not, what else could I use as a second camera?

Thanks
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I have Sandisk 64gig Extreme cards for my XF300. I get about 2.5 hours at full 50 Mbps. The camera has 2 CF slots and when one card fills up it switches to the other. So you should get 5 hours or more of recording.
Robert John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I also would work with 2 64GB-Cards, you have less problems and you don´t have to think or switch the Letus all the time.

I used to work with XH-A1 before I bought the XF300 last summer.
Pictures fit well together, but of course XH-A1 is a little bit less sharp and the colour-signal isn´t that brilliant.
I don´t like working with DSLRs, handling isn´t nice, codec, too.

best wishes,

Reinhard
Reinhard Kungel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I also read that Sandisk is releasing a 128 gig extreme card which would give about 5 hours recording per card. So 2 cards could give 10 hours without changing out cards.
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Major Player

i bet a 128gig card would be expensive.

be well

rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Here are the specs
SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro Compact Flash Memory Card - up to 100MB/sec write speed (667X, UDMA-enabled)

Looks like it cost around $1.200.00.
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm just thinking that buying just two 64GB cards will cost over £1,000. There must be an external recorder of some king perhaps taht will be more cost effective in the long term?
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Trustee

If you want an external recorder, the 305 would be better with the nano or Ki pro mini.
I only use 32 gig cards (4 of them) and a Nexto di2700 to dump the cards to as they fill up. Just finished a 6 hour shoot (two theater shows back to back) and it worked great. No missed material and the Nexto is much faster to transfer files to my computer than a card reader since it uses esata.
Old February 8th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syeed Ali View Post
Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm just thinking that buying just two 64GB cards will cost over £1,000. There must be an external recorder of some king perhaps taht will be more cost effective in the long term?
32Gb cards are £100 each (+VAT) 80minutes per card. Using an external recorder really defeats the purpose of having the XF camera IMO.

Use the long end of the lens and you will be very happy without a Letus. Alternatively XF works well with EOS 5D MkII / 7D clips and then you have the restricted Depth of field and incredible low light capability.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 02:44 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: XF300 advice needed re media storage & letus

Well, I just couldn't amke up my mind wether to get an XF300 or the AF 101. One day I want the Canon, the next day the Panasonic.

So on monday, whilst getting a SWIT battery, I bit the bullet and got the XF300.

The very next day I took it to the Geneva Motor Show and spent the whole day carrying it around. I used Olaf's shoulder mount system, which I quite liked, but think it needs a bit more counter weight. Canon 300

My thought so far (bear in mind I'm a newbie at camera work so my problems may not apply to everyone)....

Going from an XHA1 to the XF300 is not a big learning curve. It took me just a few hours to figure out some of the bits. The Vortex video helped a lot from the small bits I saw of it.

I kept reducing the headphone volume buttom. The first time it happened, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't hear any sound. doh!!!

I also kept hitting a few other buttons when handling it. I think it's just a case of modifying my handling technique.

It's heavier than the XHA1 and I felt the stiffness in my shoulders this morning. then again, i'm no spring chicken and haven't been to the gym in a while.

I added two custom settings. one from a link i found in this forum section and the other from teh vortex video. Can't remember which one I used in the end, but it definetly wasn't the standard Canon setting. I would really like to get the range of settings I have on my XHA1.

Overall, I loved using the camera. I'm still keeping the XHA1, but it will be relegated to B camera status.

There were lots of video cameras at the show yesterday, but I didn't see any XF300/305's. A few had the large broadcast cameras, but the vast majority seemed to have the small Sony's. I've always found that if your set up looks impressive then you are more likely to get an interview, so i tend to put as much kit on it as possible. lol
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders