Should I get the XF100 or 105? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old February 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Should I get the XF100 or 105?

Ok, I need some advice. If I let you know what I foresee myself shooting can you help recommending between these 2? I'm sure the XF100 will be fine for now, but I'm very new to this all but want to grow and don't want to be in a position where I HAVE to upgrade.

Main uses
1. on the water sailing footage.
2. on shore boat setup footage
3. indoor and outdoor training clinic/lecture footage
4. Run-and-gun interviews at regattas
5. corporate videos (tours of facilities...)

Less often uses
1. weddings (mostly only people I know)
2. Ballet recitals (teacher said if i shoot some behind the scenes and event stuff we can barter for my daughters classes:-)

I'm really being drawn to this camera due to the size (I'll not only be in tight spaces but also traveling quite a bit.) I also like the solid state recording. I just don't know what I would ever plug into the genlock and HDSD-SDI ports. I'll spend the extra $k but if i don't have to... that's a good tripod.

Also, what is the expected life of a camera like this one? I've been looking at classifieds and everyone asks hours. Does that matter with a Solid State Media camera?

Thanks!
Paul Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Paul, in environments with lots of salt water/spray the life of the cam might not be that long - if this is sea sailing - so maybe go for the cheaper XF100 - and even then protect it and clean it often!
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Get the 105 if you need to do 3D or you want to record to even a higher codec......otherwise, get the 100

Jim Martin
FilmTools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Paul I too am pretty new to this but when I was getting my XF300 the guy at the dealers said if you don't really plan to do much studio shooting or have loads of peripherals attached then don't bother with the 05 and get the cheaper 00.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. I think I'll be fine with the XF100. For what I'm planning, I don't see needing a higher codex or attaching much to it other then a wireless mic but that would go to the XLR's anyway. I really don't see doing 3d. If I ever did plan to do any of that... I'd be making more then enough to get a different camera. The new ones would be out by then anyway.

I appreciate the info.
Old February 17th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Space Hipster

I don't see why anyone would need more than the 50mbps, 4:2:2 codec, at least for normal usage. That's why I went with the XF305 over a Sony EX1R/3. I wanted that codec!
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hey Paul,

To be honest, couldn't you save even more and get the XA10 as it sounds like you don't need the codec improvement and it's basically the same camera inside other than that? Just protect it even more as it's not as robust as the XFs.

Gary.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 08:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I had thought of that, but I got away from the XA10 for a few reasons. Let me know if my thinking's off.

1. I am learning and the XF100 is a Pro Camera with similar controls to other pro cameras. I feel that the skills/knowledge i learn on that one will translate better to other equipment in the future.

2. For the foreseeable future this will be my only camera. I do not want to be in a situation where I need more the the XA10 can give.

3. Quality of the build. I've been reading a lot that says the XF is just a better built camera

4. I've had REAL bad luck with internal HD camera's in the past going bad and loosing files. I know that I could back up onto SD cards, but why would I want to pay for something that I really don't want when you know other things were sacrificed to have the Hard Drive in there and still keep the price reasonable.

5. I think it's just a bit too small.
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Trustee

And on the XA10 you don't have the full control on the pictures presets and setting you have on the XF
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Fair enough, I agree actually now that I know what you're after. Although the XA10 isn't a hard drive cam as far as I know, it's internal flash memory, which I've never had a problem with. Plus I think it's got SD card slots if you want to use those.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

So, as long as I can get it in writing/contract I've got a gig that's paying for most of this camera! Rather then start a new thread, I'm wondering what else I just HAVE to have to make this work.

The gig is shooting 22 lacrosse games for a local high school. (I'm a sailor and will specialize in that but this is some easy money and experience.) They want the game filmed and footage burned to DVD for the coach. I'll be financing the gear so here's what I think I need. Let me know if there's anything I'm missing.

Canon XF-100
2x Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb Compactflash cards.
Manfrotto 504HD Head w/546B tripod (or similar)
an extra battery
a UV filter
a polarized filter
a Camera Case
a rain slicker for the camera.
and possibly a Lectrosonics 100 series set of transmitter, receiver, and lavaliere mic.

Any further advice? Know anywhere I can get this all together and save a few bucks? B&H has good prices, but I was wondering if I can get some kind of package deal since i need it all.

Thanks!
Old February 18th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Paul sorry to disrupt things but have you looked at the JVC HM100? From what I can gather it's a very good camera and gets good reviews. On the face of it it looks pretty similar to the XF100 but lower codec.
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:26 PM   #13
Major Player

... Much worse low light than the XF100.
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
I don't see why anyone would need more than the 50mbps, 4:2:2 codec, at least for normal usage. That's why I went with the XF305 over a Sony EX1R/3. I wanted that codec!
I have a question. With the XF100 could you use a nanoFlash via the HDMI and get a higher bitrate codec?

This is somewhat academic, the 50mbs 4:2:2 codec is perfectly fine for me and I have an XF100 ordered, but I am curious about whether the HDMI port could be used, and what the tradeoffs might be.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:10 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Owens View Post
Canon XF-100
2x Sandisk Extreme Pro 32gb Compactflash cards.
Manfrotto 504HD Head w/546B tripod (or similar)
an extra battery
a UV filter
a polarized filter
a Camera Case
a rain slicker for the camera.
and possibly a Lectrosonics 100 series set of transmitter, receiver, and lavaliere mic.
I would skip the polarized filter, you can't operate it with the lens hood and it's of little use I think. Only if you're filming behind glass you may need one to reduce reflections.

In stead, you might need one or two ND filters. There were some reporting problems with the ND filter of the XF300, the XF100 may suffer from the same.

You may want to add a shotgun mic, if they value sound enough that you need lavaliere I suppose they also value sound for the field.

You may need to add the attachable teleconverter to your kit. For field sports the 10x zoom may not be enough.

Shooting sports, in particular with a large field, I think is tricky with only one camera. You need to be well above ground, and you might actually need two cams to cover the field unless you're a good steady runner. But, I suppose the coach is not after TV style sport report but rather the overview for tactical studies.

Not that I have any experience in the above, just my is it 5 cents now?

BR, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders