New Frame rates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New Frame rates

Is this new or have I just missed it? Fairly interesting I wonder how much?
Canon Professional Network - Extra frame rate options for Canon XF-series camcorders
Mark Moreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New Frame rates

I think I saw that Canon charge £400 for this service to make the camera dual standard by adding the NTSC frame rates.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:40 PM   #3
New Boot

At the Canon Expo last summer in NYC, I was told about the standards conversion option. They quoted me $500 US. Fast forward to January of this year and I shot in the UK. I set the shutter speed to 100, turned on flicker reduction, and not a blinking light to be seen - incandescent or fluorescent.

Factory PAL upgrade = $500
2 simple camera adjustments = $00.00

Nearly identical result.

You decide.
Kevin Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:07 AM   #4
New Boot

Location: Berrien Springs, MI (Now spending most of my days in Vietnam)

For most people with an NTSC camera, simply changing the shutter speed when under 50 cycle lights of PAL land, is the smart choice.

I am actually going to go ahead and get the upgrade for my camera. I shoot for clients in both TV standards and so being able to shoot source material with no conversion necessary, is better for me and the client.
Stock Video: www.pond5.com
Frank Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I just ask here in Hong Kong, the Canon service center charges $500usd to upgrade to ntsc. Is there no way for the users to update the firmware? Like Nikon DSLRs etc. $500 is quite steep, though I am not complaining.
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Moreve View Post
Is this new or have I just missed it? Fairly interesting I wonder how much?
Canon Professional Network - Extra frame rate options for Canon XF-series camcorders
I had this upgrade 2 weeks ago in the UK. 400 euros + tax
Matt Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #7
New Boot

Canon Singapore is asking 800 SGD which comes to $628 USD! Kind of steep for what is surely not more than a 10 min job. But for me, a lot cheaper than getting a second XF300! I just wish Canon would simply offer this as an original feature. It would save me the expense of flying the camera over to Singapore and hanging out there for the three days that they say that it will take them, bringing the total cost to well over a thousand, plus the lost days. I guess I will have to bring my XHA1 and spend my time shooting stock!
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Takes 10 mins.. If you book it in and take it yourself the London centre will do it why you have a coffee..
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
Regular Crew

While you have a coffee I meant! Although having tasted it, Why is also valid.
Old March 10th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Spangler View Post
Canon Singapore is asking 800 SGD which comes to $628 USD! Kind of steep for what is surely not more than a 10 min job. But for me, a lot cheaper than getting a second XF300! I just wish Canon would simply offer this as an original feature. It would save me the expense of flying the camera over to Singapore and hanging out there for the three days that they say that it will take them, bringing the total cost to well over a thousand, plus the lost days. I guess I will have to bring my XHA1 and spend my time shooting stock!
You should come to hong kong! Only usd$500 here, i just checked with the service rep yesterday. :)

Last edited by Sam Young; March 11th, 2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:49 AM   #11
New Boot

Hey That sounds good! Can they do it while I have a cup of coffee, like the chaps in london?
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #12
Regular Crew

From what the sales rep said when I was in the showroom, it is a quick job like you have mentioned. She went up to the Canon service floors, asked a technician, and came back down to give me a quote. If you would like me to ask how quick it can be done, I can definitely give them a call. There is a TGI Fridays, Pacific Coffee, and Outback steakhouse on the first three floors of the building Canon's showroom/customer service center is in, so you can have a brewski, coffee, tea, whatever. :)

I plan on getting mine from Canon HK, the XF100 will be in stock beginning of March.
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #13
New Boot

Yes, I am seriusly interested. The airfare is a little more to Hong Kong for me but if I can get it done same day, rahter than the three days that Canon Singapore says that it will take, then It will be overall cheaper for me to do it in HK. Thanks for the offer to check for me!

Frank
Old March 14th, 2011, 12:17 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Okay, I will go to Canon and ask personally before I leave for the US. I will also ask them if you can send ship the camera straight to them, and ship it back to you in Vietnam after the upgrade, unless the camera is your baby, that is a logic money and time just to fly over here to HK. I will let you know.
Old March 14th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Am I the only person who thinks that it's pretty outrageous for Canon to charge $500 or more just to install updated firmware to provide missing features that other manufacturers include without extra cost?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders