DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XF100 happiness (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/492992-canon-xf100-happiness.html)

Per Nicolaisen March 11th, 2011 07:08 PM

Canon XF100 happiness

This little gem packs a punch. First test shots, everything at auto:

Only the auto white balance seemed a little off at times. Biggest surprise was the monitor, I used in direct sunlight plus the brightness from the snow without any problems. The size and handling is amazing.

Pete Bauer March 11th, 2011 07:30 PM

Re: Canon XF100 happiness

Ok, now I really know that life's NOT fair! How is it that Per is shooting beautiful scenes in GREENLAND with an XF100 while B&H in The Big Apple still shows "New Item. Available for Pre-order?"

As a displaced northerner, I would LOVE to visit your town, Per. Thanks so much for sharing. If you will, how about some manual setting shots as well? Any further comments about ergonomics?

Glen Vandermolen March 11th, 2011 07:42 PM

Very impressive! And from a single chip cam. You tested it in a very tough environment - cold weather and the possibilty of the bright snow blowing out the video. The XF100 seems to have handled it all.

Tim Bakland March 11th, 2011 07:45 PM

Wow! Great Nordic Skate Skiing!

Do you skate-ski, Per?

I originally watched your video because I'm anxiously awaiting my XF100 -- from B&H of course :(

I LOVE the footage -- but I'm also a nordic skater. What an idyllic landscape.

Per Nicolaisen March 11th, 2011 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer (Post 1627105)
Ok, now I really know that life's NOT fair! How is it that Per is shooting beautiful scenes in GREENLAND with an XF100 while B&H in The Big Apple still shows "New Item. Available for Pre-order?"

As a displaced northerner, I would LOVE to visit your town, Per. Thanks so much for sharing. If you will, how about some manual setting shots as well? Any further comments about ergonomics?

I had it in preorder from my danish dealer. I also buy my leica stuff from them as well. webshop.goecker.dk - Goecker - Serious Imaging

Didn't try the manuel settings. To be honest Im a novice in video so it will take time for me to learn. I just charged the battery, put it in and ran out to try it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 1627108)
Very impressive! And from a single chip cam. You tested it in a very tough environment - cold weather and the possibilty of the bright snow blowing out the video. The XF100 seems to have handled it all.

I owned the Xf300 as well for a short period of time and I see no difference (for me, a beginner, that is) in IQ in bright sunny weather. The monitor seems better in X100 then the x300 as I remembered it. The VF is tiny but will not be needing that with such a superb monitor. The temp was -12C with a mild wind, a chill factor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bakland (Post 1627109)
Wow! Great Nordic Skate Skiing!

Do you skate-ski, Per?

I originally watched your video because I'm anxiously awaiting my XF100 -- from B&H of course :(

I LOVE the footage -- but I'm also a nordic skater. What an idyllic landscape.

Don't you mean cross country skiing? Im sure the XF100 will not disappoint you!

Sam Young March 11th, 2011 10:11 PM

I got to play around with the xf100, felt in love, and sold my jvc hm100 the next day to a closes friend. The image controls are light years better than the hm100, the hm100 controls were embarrasing compared to the xf100. The lcd screen dos look amazing, and the viewfinder is shockingly small(can you magnify it?). Good thing my vision is good because i need to use the vf for additional stability because i do handheld/run n gun alot. Your review is very encouraging!! Hong Kong should have stock in early march, i thought about b&h because i will be back in the states in a week, but they seem to be infinitely on order:(

Thanks for the vid! Love the footage, especially at 1:34, where the cross-country skier skies across the camera with the sun in the middle of the shot.

I wish I lived there (minus the cold) !

Nigel Barker March 12th, 2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Bauer (Post 1627105)

There is obviously a delay with shipping the NTSC version as we have had general availability of the PAL version here in Europe for a few weeks.

Per Nicolaisen March 12th, 2011 07:35 AM

A not so good thing is the record button. It takes a few seconds to start/stop recording when pressing. The button is soft to press but Im sure its a something I will use to.

Erik Norgaard March 12th, 2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Per Nicolaisen (Post 1627209)
A not so good thing is the record button. It takes a few seconds to start/stop recording when pressing. The button is soft to press but Im sure its a something I will use to.

I don't have this issue my camera starts immediately, maybe because of the cold, frozen fingers or frozen button?

I found a 4 sec. delay from power on to ready and a 1 sec from power save mode to ready.

BR, Erik

Per Nicolaisen March 12th, 2011 06:35 PM

Yes that might be the course.

BTW my first impression is that this lens flares a lot less than X300 did. Very important where I live, the sun is always low in the horizon.