How do I do low light filming with the XF300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

How do I do low light filming with the XF300

Tomorrow evening I may be doing some filming at an event launch party.

I will be filming both outside as well as inside where I will be doing interviews. I'm assuming it will be low/bad light.

Any tips and suggestions on camera settings?

Thanks
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: How do I do low light filming with the XF300

If you don't need to shoot in 1080p, switch to 720p as it gives you a bit more light.
Michael Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Some are saying that this camera's 4:2:2 codec stands a good bit of post manipulation. It could be that if you shoot as bright as you can in the normal way, without too much gain, you can brighten it up afterwards. Do some tests with dim footage and see how you get on. I'd be interested to know how it works out.
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #4
New Boot

If you don't own a post denoiser app you can always use the internal noise reduction in the camera! It is quite powerful.
Daniel Gustafsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

It was my first evening/dark shoot and it was just one big problem.

In the end I added gain which I later found out when looking at footage, made it very grainy so will use Neat de-ioniser for that. Also used a rotolight which helped considerably.

It's just one looooong learning curve!!

:)

Thanks again.
Old March 30th, 2011, 02:21 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Here's the finished video

YouTube - Concours D'Elegance 2011 Launch Party

The intro shot outside the venue came out quite nice. Inside it was awful.

I made a big rookie mistake. Had a rotolight attached to the camera but didn't use it until halfway. Works quite well with it.

Learnt a lot from that shoot and doing the editing/post stuff.
Old March 30th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Hey its not too bad (inside shots) at all. I was expecting a lot worse from your description - just scanned through some sections of it on a quick break (up to my neck with client edit deadlines!) but it seems to capture the atmosphere of the event well (which is all 99% of your clients intended audience will be interested in, I imagine, not low light performance of a XF300). Nice cars! One or two focus errors and some of your taking head cutaways were not ideal (but having done the odd live event as a sole cameraman I know how tricky these things can be!). Things often unfold fast and you just have to capture the magical bits as best you can and hope to hide/remove any glitches in edit.

Sure, you've learnt something to do better next time. The day the complex world of is video production gets totally predictable and I stop learning something new is the day I'll probably loose interest anyway. Most important thing, is the client happy?
Old March 30th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #8
Regular Crew

No client. All video work that I'm doing is for an online channel that I set up recently.

The original length was double, but I decided to edit it down. As I'm continuously moving, I tend to keep it on auto focus. Everything else is on manual settings.

but... I really want an Af101
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM   #9
New Boot

Sayeed,if u still r out there,nice job on this. While some small flaws, they didn't seem horrible.it worked fine for what it was. That kind of shoot is low value, don't you wish you were here kind of coverage.

As to wanting an af100,while I too would love to play with one, what would you have done differently if you had one? The event is a wide angle, high DOF event, run &gun. Not likely the right scenario for AF100 style shooting. Or was there some reason you wanted one?

In your network, do you need 'broadcast quality? Your network is web based? the reason I ask is that if it's not b.q. Then just shoot with a 7d or 5mkII? Or are u hoping for stringer work out of this?
Alf Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:38 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf Hanna View Post
Sayeed,if u still r out there,nice job on this. While some small flaws, they didn't seem horrible.it worked fine for what it was. That kind of shoot is low value, don't you wish you were here kind of coverage.
Hi Alf,

It was a quick job and ideally I would have liked to have spent more time on it, but it's mainly news/event stuff and I've seen much worse on TV.

Quote:
As to wanting an af100,while I too would love to play with one, what would you have done differently if you had one? The event is a wide angle, high DOF event, run &gun. Not likely the right scenario for AF100 style shooting. Or was there some reason you wanted one?
I wouldn't have used the Af100 for that shoot, but for the documentary type stuff I'm doing later. I also have an XHA1 and that and the XF300 are perfect for run and gun stuff.

I've played around with the AF100 and really like, but at the moment it's way down on my list of things to purchase.

Quote:
In your network, do you need 'broadcast quality? Your network is web based? the reason I ask is that if it's not b.q. Then just shoot with a 7d or 5mkII? Or are u hoping for stringer work out of this?
You're correct, I don't really need broadcast quality as most if not all of the footage is for the internet. I used to shoot with an XHA1 and decided to get the XF300. The XHA1 is a great camera, but I prefer using the XF. Used the XHA1 for two days of shooting as the XF was in for repair and I really missed the XF.

I'm considering the 5mkII as the B camera though.
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:01 PM   #11
New Boot

Nice video clip. Slightly too long for me, and 3.38 (which I consider to be the money shot) much too short.
Christopher Icha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 06:10 PM   #12
New Boot

If I can ask, why was the XF in for repair? What broke? Was it operator error (G) or an actual flaw?
Alf Hanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Icha View Post
Nice video clip. Slightly too long for me, and 3.38 (which I consider to be the money shot) much too short.
Unfortunately, the only long clip I had was done in daylight. I forgot to do it at the time.

Quote:
If I can ask, why was the XF in for repair? What broke? Was it operator error (G) or an actual flaw?
I connected a V Lock battery to it and it blew a fuse. I was told it would work, but evidently it didn't.

Canon Service Centre fixed it in a couple of days and even gave me a free viewfinder cap.
Old May 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #14
Trustee

Syeed,
Did you take your camera in personally to the Canon Service Centre in Elstree?
I need to get mine in to replace the EVF (burn on!) and I'd rather take it there myself if possible.
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Davies-Rollinson View Post
Syeed,
Did you take your camera in personally to the Canon Service Centre in Elstree?
I need to get mine in to replace the EVF (burn on!) and I'd rather take it there myself if possible.
Yes. You just drop it off at reception and they give you a receipt for it.

Then email you a confirmation and once ready, send you an email that it's ready for collection.

I've been a few times and never booked it, just turn up and hand it in.
Syeed Ali is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders