Must have accessories for an XF300 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 21st, 2011, 01:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Must have accessories for an XF300

I went and did it. I had B&H put an XF300 on hold for me. I had planned to get an XF100 but for what I was going to do the extra zoom and the fact that I can have it now made the difference. What are the MUST have's with this camera? Here's my list.

1. 4 16gig Sandisk Extream cards (I can't afford the Extreme pro or hoodman cards yet)
2. 1 extra battery (the big 975)
3. 82 mm UV filter
4. Rain cover
5. Shotgun mic with windscreen and cable
6. Case
7. Tripod

My first gig is a Lacrosse tournament. There will be 3 1 hour games for me to tape. Would this be adequate?
Paul Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:06 PM   #2
Space Hipster

Re: Must have accessories for an XF300

Congras on your new purchase. I have an 305 and love it.
To add to your list, I have a Sennheiser wireless system. I had to buy the cold shoe mounting system for it, as there's no place to hang a wireless receiver on the 300/305 body.
A 16Gb CF card holds about 40 min. of full HD video. I'm not sure 4 of them willl cover a full 3 hours of shooting.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I had planned to shoot at 25mbps not the full 50. i thought i had figured that at 70 minutes per card. Maybe i should get 6 to be safe. 2 per game.

I'm going to get the Lav set-up next phase. I've got a cheap Shure set that i can use indoors. For this shoot the client doesn't care to hear what's being said on the field. He just wants to be able to hear the hits and some crowed noise all for affect.
Paul Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
Major Player

A lens controller (LANC) makes life more fun using a tripod.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
Congras on your new purchase. I have an 305 and love it.
To add to your list, I have a Sennheiser wireless system. I had to buy the cold shoe mounting system for it, as there's no place to hang a wireless receiver on the 300/305 body.
A 16Gb CF card holds about 40 min. of full HD video. I'm not sure 4 of them willl cover a full 3 hours of shooting.
Glen -- can I ask you about which cold shoe mount you use for the XF300? I'd love to hear what solution has worked for you.
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bakland View Post
Glen -- can I ask you about which cold shoe mount you use for the XF300? I'd love to hear what solution has worked for you.
Sure.
I got the Sennheiser CA2 SHOEMOUNT ADAPTER f/EW RECEIVERS - SECA2 from B&H Photo. It works with a Sennheiser receiver that has a wire belt clip.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:32 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Owens View Post
I had planned to shoot at 25mbps not the full 50. i thought i had figured that at 70 minutes per card. Maybe i should get 6 to be safe. 2 per game.
Personally I would go for 32gb cards: it's really nice being able to record 160 mins at full 50mbps without having to worry about swapping/managing cards. That's just my preference.

I also wouldn't contemplate shooting 25mbps with the XF unless you absolutely have to - you're not only throwing away 422 colourspace but also recording at lower resolution: 1920x1080 with 422 colour is the whole point of this camera.

Enjoy!
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

What is a must have for me is a Nextodi 2700, basically a portable, self contained hard drive that I can transfer my Compact Flash cards to and then reuse the CF cards. I only have 2 CF cards and use the Nextodi as the storage device. Once its on there then I connect the Nextodi to a laptop and transfer the footage via esata to another hard drive so I have it stored in two places.

Good luck, James
James Redmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:37 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Paul,

I agree with most of the replies here; especially the Nexto (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613210-REG/Nexto_DI_ND270500G_Nexto_eXtreme_500GB.html).

Also, depending on what other types of projects you'll have (and if you'll be sticking with sports), you may need some kind of shoulder support. I actually have the Tiffen Steady Stick, which works well with my XL2 (yet to try it out with the XF300). But I'm looking to get Olof's shoulder system: Canon 300/305 tripod plate, shoulder brace

Oh, and I'd buy at least TWO extra large batteries.

Best,
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #10
Go Cycle

Hoodman EX KIT PRO: I attach the unit to the LCD and can now place the camera on my shoulder.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 12:43 AM   #11
Trustee

Lou,
Just checking that you don't get any cut-off on the LCD screen, there's no masking at all?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 07:45 AM   #12
Go Cycle

Very, very slight. One must move the loupe into position.

I have the SAFE ZONE in the display as well. Works fine. I cradle the camera with my left hand and have it placed on my shoulder. Very light, considering I am coming from a large 18 pound rig in the past.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Trustee

Thanks Lou, it sounds like a good buy.
One more question, since I wear spectacles, is there an adjustment for focus so that I could use the eyepiece without wearing them?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Go Cycle

Yes...there is a diopter. I wear reading glasses. No problem.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:44 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Oops... good thing everyone else is having a good conversation here. I got a deal I just couldn't pass up on a used 4 times (by a buddy of mine) XL H1s with a full kit of gear. He hates to shoot video and wants to get out of it and just edit. I hope I made the right choice. We'll see.

Thanks for the help guys.
Paul Owens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders