DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   What's up with the zero supply in the US? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/493933-whats-up-zero-supply-us.html)

Steve Maller April 1st, 2011 07:19 AM

What's up with the zero supply in the US?

It seems everybody is completely sold out of the XF100, and have been for a bit. Does this have to do with the earthquake in Japan? Or is there a technical issue that's halted production of the cameras? I'm itching to get my hands on one, and can't find one anywhere. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I've checked tons of (reputable) places online, too.

Any thoughts?

Pete Bauer April 1st, 2011 08:55 AM

Re: What's up with the zero supply in the US?

I've been wondering the same thing myself...the general UNavailability of the XF100/105 was from the get-go, preceding the quake so not sure what's up. This is very much out of character for Canon; usually, they announce and then the camera is in your hands a couple months later.

Roger Averdahl April 1st, 2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Maller (Post 1634059)
Does this have to do with the earthquake in Japan?

Yes.

AFAIK, right now each packed camera is unpacked and checked if it is ok after the earthquake before it leaves the factory. The electricity has been down as well, so nothing could be done at all.

Dave Blackhurst April 1st, 2011 11:44 AM

Was just reading on a "rumour" site (for Sony Alpha) that the companies are not really letting on how much damage the earhtquakes (and subsequent aftershocks and electrical disruption from the lost nuke plants) really is causing in the supply chain.

Included in that "rumour" was that Sony is pulling NAB press releases at the last minute on some new products, and hasn't been able to produce sensors since the quake (kinda hard to make a camera without a sensor chip).

The disruption in Japan was horrific by any measure, and while they are very stoic, I can imagine that it will be years, if not decades before they fully restore "normality", not weeks or months. It also may be a while before we can really grasp the gravity of the situation.

Philip Lipetz April 1st, 2011 12:34 PM

Japan earthquake is part of it, the rest is the rapidly weakening dollar makes US sales less profitable when compared to elsewhere, so they ship elsewhere first.

Lou Bruno April 1st, 2011 01:08 PM

CANON is closed for inventory nationwide till Tuesday and product should be coming in next Tuesday but it will be limited-very limited- due to the circumstances in JAPAN.

Steve Maller April 1st, 2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno (Post 1634203)
CANON is closed for inventory nationwide till Tuesday and product should be coming in next Tuesday but it will be limited-very limited- due to the circumstances in JAPAN.

Thank you. Hopefully things loosen up soon. Of course, I feel silly, like I should send $3000 to Japan for earthquake relief instead. :(

Pat Reddy April 1st, 2011 11:04 PM

B&H now says for the XF100: "This item is backordered by the manufacturer. Estimated delivery to B&H 6-10 weeks." A sales manager there told me a few weeks ago that the earthquake and tsunami had hampered Canon's ability to get cameras out.

Pat

Stephen Boss April 1st, 2011 11:47 PM

It certainly seems like something else is at play cause they were pushing the shipment dates back long before the quake even hit.

Lou Bruno April 2nd, 2011 06:26 AM

That's correct Steve. Evey APRIL, Canon closes for inventory. Every year this occurs thus pushes back availability for items not in the sales/.stores Que prior to the shutdown.

The catastrophe in Japan will really slow down manufacturing and delivery. Prices are going to increase. DVCAM tape that was 22 dollars in now 40 dollars, Ther HVR-270, that was $5999 is now $69990. I am wondering about DVDs?

Philip Lipetz April 2nd, 2011 07:25 AM

Lou, I know you cannot advertise here, but are you a dealer? You seem to channel what a Canon sales rep would tell dealers.

Doug Tessler April 2nd, 2011 09:59 AM

I am getting a 100 from Al art video he said the last one for a while . Hey Lou how are you ?

Doug

Lou Bruno April 2nd, 2011 12:34 PM

Doing fine Doug. Yes...ART is ALL out of MANY of the cameras from Japan and TAPE went up in price as well all over the place. I was lucky to get my XF-300.

Pete Bauer April 2nd, 2011 07:32 PM

I have a confession to make: I've kept quiet until B&H opened this evening and I could get my order for the XF105 placed. No idea what the stock levels are and if they'll hold out.

As soon as I saw this thread, I checked B&H for the XF cameras and lo and behold the 105 showed in stock. Unfortunately for the majority who want the XF100, it still shows as back-ordered.