DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Pedestal Levels (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/494012-pedestal-levels.html)

Jerry Laurence April 3rd, 2011 04:48 AM

Pedestal Levels

I'm trying to set up my XF300 with a safe all-round custom profile for use in most conditions without the need for colour correction other than styling for specific jobs. Starting with Alan Roberts' BBC settings, I have tweaked the colour settings with more warmth and saturation but I am finding that the pedestal seems a little high, with blacks looking not black enough. Has anybody thought the same and found the need to reduce the pedestal to, say, -3?

Doug Jensen April 3rd, 2011 05:06 AM

Re: Pedestal Levels

Yes, the blacks are way too high for nice looking images. Like you, my goal is to shoot video that requires no color grading or post-processing. So I have the master pedestal set for -3 on the Custom Picture settings I recommend in my XF305/300 training DVD. You are exactly right.

Mastering the Canon XF305/300 Camcorders training DVD

This video was shot with the Custom Picture settings I recommend, and it has had no gradiing. I'm happy with it.

Robin Davies-Rollinson April 3rd, 2011 06:10 AM

Every time I see that video I feel the wow factor.
You should be very proud, Doug...

Doug Jensen April 3rd, 2011 07:28 AM

Robin, thank you for the compliment, but I honestly don't think it is anything special. It just shows what the camera is capable of with a few basic changes to the settings. Anyone with a few hours on their hands could do the same thing.

Pat Reddy April 3rd, 2011 07:56 AM

Doug, do you think the custom picture settings for an XF300 or XF305 are a good starting point for an XF100?

Pat

Doug Jensen April 3rd, 2011 12:13 PM

Hi Pat,

I don't know because I have no experience with the XF100.
If it was me, I'd start with the same settings and see where that got me.

Mark Moreve April 3rd, 2011 02:51 PM

HI Doug,
Lovely video very nice indeed. Would you be happy to share your other settings with the rest of us? It would be greatly appreciated.
I find there is to much Magenta in the image so have wound down the R-G value to -8. This is one of the things which Alan Roberts recommends. I'll do the same with the Ped as I always used to shoot my Digi Beta with Ped at -3.
All the best
Mark

Doug Jensen April 3rd, 2011 03:28 PM

Mark,
I prefer not to just give my settings out without adequate explanation and other information that goes along with them. Just dialing in some numbers isn't the right way to master your camera, and the paint settings have ramifications with zebra levels, overall exposure, and other other camera controls.

It's all spelled out in my 3.5 hour training DVD that took over 400 man-hours to research, write, shoot, edit, and create . . . all yours for a lousy 75 bucks. :-)

Bill Weaver April 4th, 2011 12:22 PM

Nice work. What frame rate did you shoot at, Doug?

Mark Moreve April 4th, 2011 01:23 PM

Fair enough Doug.

Lou Bruno April 4th, 2011 06:08 PM

The files on my XF-300 will not transfer to the XF-100. However, I manually added the settings and they seem good enough for me. I will state one thing: The XF-100 is NOT a XF-300. The XF-300 is super crisp.
I do not like the automatic ND filter of the XF-100. I would rather use an ND filter.

Doug Jensen April 4th, 2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Weaver (Post 1635203)
Nice work. What frame rate did you shoot at, Doug?

Thanks.
I think all of that video is 30P. I rarely shoot 24 and never shoot interlaced.

Tim Bakland April 4th, 2011 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Jensen (Post 1634902)

It's all spelled out in my 3.5 hour training DVD that took over 400 man-hours to research, write, shoot, edit, and create . . . all yours for a lousy 75 bucks. :-)

It is a great video (Doug's training DVD on the XF300/5) and I HIGHLY recommend it. He doesn't waste a second of time (in fact, even though I took notes, I need several more viewings to absorb all the great info).

Doug: I do really like your recommend custom set recipe. Do you feel it may be inadvisable in darker conditions (like it loses a half stop or so)? I *want* to use it full-time, but I do so much indoor/darker stuff (wedding receptions, ballets) that I've been nervous about losing a stop as it does appear darker.

Doug Jensen April 5th, 2011 04:28 AM

Tim, thank you for the nice comments.

I agree that my scene file is not intended for dark locations. I rarely ever need to shoot in those types of situatios, so it's not something that is at the forefront of my mind. That is probably something I should correct in future DVDs for other cameras. I have written that down as a suggestion.

I don't have an XF305 anymore to test, but I'd try raising the pedestal back to 0, raising the gain to +3, and maybe choosing a non-Cine gamma. The Cine gammas look great but chew up a lot of light. If there wasn't a whole of of motion in whatever I was going to be shooting, I'd also turn the shutter off and trade a little motion blur for 1-stop more light. Anyway, that's some of things I'd start with.

Tim Bakland April 5th, 2011 11:55 AM

Thanks, Doug -- I look forward to trying that.