any card over 60MB/s is overkill, correct? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #1
Major Player

any card over 60MB/s is overkill, correct?

Hi there,
Shopping for a CF card, and just wanting to confirm that with the XF100, any card faster than 60MB/s is a waste of money.
thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: any card over 60MB/s is overkill, correct?

It depends. Is it required for recording? Nope.

Is is appreciated when you are offloading onto the computer? Absolutely!
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Major Player

Ahh... I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks very much Chris.
M.
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Wrangler

I use a Lexar USB UDMA card reader. Once I get a chance to compare file transfer speeds between my 5Dmii's slower Sandisk 16GB card and new 64GB, 90MB/sec cards for my new XF105, I'll try to remember to post if it makes a substantial difference.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Major Player

For recording, write speed is 50Mbit/s, so 60MByte/s is well above that. For reading to you computer, assuming USB2.0 speed, you have max 480Mbit/s that's about 48MByte/s. Again 60MByte/s is above that. Only if you have USB3.0 can you get faster transfer speeds.

Now that's just according to the specs and not based on any testing I have done. But, yes, above 60MB/s seems overkill. If you use Lexar CF that's labelled as 400x. SanDisk labels by MB/s.

BR, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Make sure you have mega bits and mega bytes sorted out. I do not think they have 60 mega bytes per second CF cards. This is the speed of internal IDE hard drives. If they do they will be way overkill for recording in-camera.

I have been using 133x CF cards (very affordable) with my Nano which can record 100 megabits with no issues.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Wrangler

Yes, the cards are capable of that speed. The UDMA6 Sandisks I just got are rated at 90MB/sec where they define a MB as 1,000,000 bytes.

However, as noted already, the host device may be the limiting factor. Using a USB 2.0 Lexar card reader, I observed that transferring MXF files to my system was at about the same 25-30MB/sec that I get with my older, slower CF cards.

Not sure why USB3 readers are taking so long to get to market, but I hope it won't be long until I use a card reader that will be much faster. Looks like Delkin is releasing a USB3 reader presently, and there are Express Card readers out there claiming much faster transfers. These should be much faster and make transferring files a less onerous task. A slower, less expensive CF card is fine if you're using USB2, but if you want best performance in the coming months, a faster card wouldn't be a bad investment.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #8
Major Player

Canon has a list of cards that they know will work with the XF series:

Canon Professional Network - CF card compatibility for Canon?s XF-series camcorders

Some will work but you won't be able to use the slow motion mode. Canon also just released a firmware update that fixes some card compatibility issues:

Canon U.S.A. : Support & Drivers : XF100

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #9
Inner Circle

After looking at that chart please disregard my post. It seems 300x is the minimum they are stating for all modes. That is quite a bit faster than just the 50 mbps bitrate.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 03:35 AM   #10
Inner Circle

To be on the safe side I wouldn't buy any card that wasn't on Canon's list of blessed cards. We have some SANdisk Extreme 32GB cards which work flawlessly.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #11
Major Player

I use these, not on Canon's list, Lexar® Professional 400x CompactFlash® (CF) Card,

Lexar® Professional 400x CompactFlash® (CF) Card | Lexar

They specify 60MB/s, standard is that uppercase B means Byte and lower case b means bits. So, yes 60MB/s. Lexar does note that they use "metric" nomenclature for storage capacity so M=10^6 and not 2^20.

I've tried slow and it works. I don't really get why slow require faster cards, but then I don't really get why I would record in slow either - I'll just slow the footage to my liking in post, more flexible and I can record sound.
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #12
Regular Crew

So the transcend 400x cards probably will work with the xf100, recording at 50Mpbs? The card is supposed to be "Write_60 MB/sec (Max)"

Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Norgaard View Post
I've tried slow and it works. I don't really get why slow require faster cards, but then I don't really get why I would record in slow either - I'll just slow the footage to my liking in post, more flexible and I can record sound.
Proper slow motion footage is recorded at a higher than regular frame rate so that when played back at normal rate it is slowed down. For the XF100/105 that's up to 60fps at 1280x720 @50Mbps. This is the way that slo-mo has always been done in film it's literally overcranking pulling the film through the gate at a higher rate. Slowing down regular speed footage in post will end up blurry unless you use something like Twixtor.
Old April 11th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Young View Post
So the transcend 400x cards probably will work with the xf100, recording at 50Mpbs? The card is supposed to be "Write_60 MB/sec (Max)
The Transcend 600X is on the list but cannot be recorded to fast enough for slow motion. If a model from a mainstream brand is not on that list then I think there is probably a good reason. It's a pity that Canon don't publish the list of those cards & brands that failed their test. As it's known that not all cards will work it makes sense to only buy those that are certified.
Old April 11th, 2011, 01:30 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Thank you Nigel. So even if I don't plan on using the slowmo function, the transcend 400x card probably won't record at 50Mbps on the xf100?
Sam Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders