DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Can't get good footage with XF300 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/494287-cant-get-good-footage-xf300.html)

Syeed Ali April 8th, 2011 02:58 AM

Can't get good footage with XF300

I've used the XF300 a few times now and whilst it looks great on the cameras viewscreen when recording, when I view it later it looks over exposed and washed out. Which means I have to do things in post.

On the XHA1, the reproduction from monitor to recording viewed on PC was very similar and the footage looked great. The XF300... crap.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Does the viewscreen need to be set up?

All very frustrating.

Daniel Gustafsson April 8th, 2011 03:26 AM

Re: Can't get good footage with XF300

Have you tried using the waveform monitor? What you see is not always what you get since the LCD might be in direct sunlight or a difficult position which makes it harder to see if you have correct exposure or not.

Tim Bakland April 8th, 2011 08:23 AM

I've found that the LCD screen does show less exposure than you're actually getting, but only slightly. Yes, I'd definitely agree with using the waveform monitor to help your eye, especially given that the flip-screen can mislead toward slight over-exposure.

Your description, though, sounds more pronounced than what I've found.

Syeed Ali April 8th, 2011 02:39 PM

I've played around with the wave monitor, but I have no idea how it works.

Are there any online tutorials anywhere?

Tim Bakland April 8th, 2011 08:06 PM

Of course! You're on one right here (in dvinfo.net).

The manual should give you the basics. Doug Jensen's video on the XF300/5 is a great buy, too, if you want more hands-on detail.

But why not just turn on the monitor, go out and give it a try in various situations of brightness and see how it works for you in a non-pressure situation? That's, for me, always the best way to learn something.

Antony Michael Wilson April 9th, 2011 09:53 AM

Are you using the zebras?

Also second the waveform comments: It's a massive bonus having a WFM in a camera. Okay, it's not really the world's best waveform trace and it's quite hard to see it properly but I have to say that it's quite hard to get exposure badly wrong on this camera if you use the zebras in conjunction with the waveform. Personally, I put very little faith in the EVF or LCD screen on any camera at this price point when it comes to judging exposure or colour. Use the tools that are built-in and you should be fine. I just spent a couple of hours filming with a 305 and even on the run 90% of the images are well exposed.

Just persevere, learn how to use a waveform monitor and you'll be absolutely fine. It's a great camera, don't worry!