What software for Canon MXF editing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 9th, 2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Tourist

What software for Canon MXF editing?

Hi Chris
I am seeking some advice. Have just purchased XF300 and 2 x 64 CF cards. I need to update my computer and software to suit this camera but am at a bit of a loss. I have been using XM2 Canon and each year down load 7 x 90min films into Avid Liquid to create school year in review film.
The Adobe forum has been quite scathing of Premier Pro due to memory problems. Dont know if you have seen the comments. I am expecting each event I film to fill at least one maybe two cards then down load them ready for editing at a later point. Can you advise editing software that people are using successfully with the XF 300, without loads of hassles. Final Cut? Edius? Avid? PP? Any advice on editing software and computer requirements that would be most XF300 friendly? Would appreciate a heads up or at least a direction to start looking and talking to people who are having success with editing these files without all the 'tricks' to convert and make them work. Hope this makes sense and someone can help.
Thanks
Michele
Michele Sauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: Canon Digital Learning Center's pages on the XF Series

Michele,
I import the mxf files from my XF300 via the Canon Utility software into Sony Vegas Pro 10 and edit straight away with no problems. My PC is not the fastest (quad core) but it handles everything I throw at it, although I'd dearly love to upgrade to an i7 machine.
Old May 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Wrangler

Re: What software for Canon MXF editing?

Michele,

Welcome to DVinfo.net. I thought your question was worthy of its own thread so moved it from the old "sticky thread."

There is a memory leak bug in CS5 that Adobe assessed and decided was too deep in the code to patch, but is fixed in the current version, PPro CS5.5.

I only just started working with MXF so my experience is limited, but I did not notice this problem anyway. As best I can tell, it only became an issue for projects with hours worth of MXF files, and there was a work-around.

In any case, the new Adobe CS5.5 suites are the current software and tremendously feature-rich so I have no hesitation in recommending them.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #4
Tourist

Thanks for the replies. Do you think Prem Pro CS5.5 still has issues if it was working on hours film to edit?
I will also look into Sony Vegas. I really appreciate your comments. I love doing the filming and editing, but I put it together in a week and half at a really busy time of year, so I know I need to have the software and system right before I start.
Thanks
Michele
Michele Sauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #5
Major Player

We're using Avid Media Composer v5 with XF material with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele Sauer View Post
Do you think Prem Pro CS5.5 still has issues if it was working on hours film to edit?
No, the bug doesn't exist in CS5.5; it'll work very nicely.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 08:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Well, here's a vote for FCP. Been very good at handling the MXF files through the L&T feature. I used to transcode to Pro Res but have started leaving the transfer setting at native which keeps the files significantly smaller. If you are interested in FCP, I'd wait til June for the new update as it's SO much cheaper and will finally take advantage of the 64 bit OS.
Old May 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #8
Inner Circle

+1 for FCP & since I started using Log & Transfer for ingesting the MXF files I have become a convert. I always used to use MPEG Streamclip to convert 5DII H.264 .MOV files to ProRes but using the Canon plugin for FCP that allows you to use L&T is much better. It gives you a chance to review the footage mark in & out points & only convert to ProRes those portions of the clips that you are really interested in for your project instead of blindly converting every last second on the Compact Flash card.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:22 AM   #9
Trustee

That Log & Transfer facility sounds to be a very good thing.
Excellent that you only need to transfer the section that you want.
I'm jealous!
Old May 11th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I too love the Log & Transfer plugin, it converts (or rewraps) the footage natively into .mov quickly, and throws it all into capture scratch with just the .mov files, none of the file structure stuff associated with the original mxf files straight from the camera.

I love the workflow!, it is almost as fast as my old JVC HM100.
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2011, 11:13 AM   #11
Major Player

Apropos the questions about file metadata being lost from L&T, the only thing I usually care about in the metadata is the date and time the clip was shot. FCP lets me rename the clips on ingest to a format like this: 2011-05-11_08-20-20.mov, which settles that issue once and for all. ;-)
Old May 21st, 2011, 07:11 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I use both FCP and Edius 6.0 I think Edius 6.0 on a Quad Core i7 is really fast for encoding to .avi and then to mp4 for upload to our web video site. But I am having to go through folders to put in .mxf files into the Bin. How do I achieve a workflow where this is not needed? i.e. straight from the card and into the Bin of Edius 6.0?
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Michele, I recently did the same camera upgrade as you. From XM2 to XF300.
I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 for editing. And since CS3 doesn't handle the native MXF files, I use Cineform Neo to convert the MXF files into AVI. Works very well for me.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:23 PM   #14
New Boot

Similar to what Antony posted above:
We're using Avid 5.3 to edit and it is wonderful. It's easy, the pictures are fantastic. It's easy to upload the files and it simply works!
I work in a TV News environment and when stability is important, I've found the workflow with the Canon XF305 to be exceptional.
I do not use the Canon software, as the metadata that follows isn't as important in a news situation as it would be in a 'production' style edit.
The video comes in through AMA and is then transcoded and the result works every time.
Larry Hatteberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I am using the newest 27 inch iMac with
a 3.4 Ghz Quad Core i7 processor.

With Adobe Premiere CS 5.5.

Premiere CS 5.5 allows you to import the video
files in their native format.

Much better than the CS 5 version.

It allows me to work much quicker and the
video is very high quality with tons of export
options.

I am more comfortable working in Adobe
Premiere than Final Cut, it just seems easier
to do Chroma Key and audio.

Although I am curious about the upcoming
release of Final Cut Pro X.
Craig Beckta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders