DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Rode NTG-2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/495741-rode-ntg-2-a.html)

Andy Solaini May 10th, 2011 06:09 PM

Rode NTG-2

Has anyone used the Rode NTG-2 microphone on the XF300/305? I am thinking of getting one but read that some people where having issues with the fur on the deadcat getting into the picture on older XH A1.

Robin Davies-Rollinson May 10th, 2011 11:40 PM

Re: Rode NTG-2

Andy,
I use the Audio-Technica AT897 on my 300 (with the Rycote) with no problems - and that mic is one millimeter longer than the Rode... :-)

Syeed Ali May 11th, 2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Solaini (Post 1647870)
Has anyone used the Rode NTG-2 microphone on the XF300/305? I am thinking of getting one but read that some people where having issues with the fur on the deadcat getting into the picture on older XH A1.

Andy, I used to have problems with the NTG-2 fur getting into the picture on the XHA1 if I used the camera bracket. I got a microphone mount which solved the problem. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and post them up.

Mike Beckett May 11th, 2011 02:17 PM

Andy,

Do you mean the actual Rode deadcat? It might be an idea to try something like a Rycote Softie, they are a bit neater with hair that is a lot less "straggly" and less prone to hang in the lens.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it on the XF300!

Andy Solaini May 11th, 2011 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syeed Ali (Post 1648178)
Andy, I used to have problems with the NTG-2 fur getting into the picture on the XHA1 if I used the camera bracket. I got a microphone mount which solved the problem. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow and post them up.

This is the bundle I am interested in and it comes with a mount. I'm not sure how it would fit into the XF300 though. I would be interested to see yours pics and how you mount yours.

Andy Solaini May 11th, 2011 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Beckett (Post 1648188)
Andy,

Do you mean the actual Rode deadcat? It might be an idea to try something like a Rycote Softie, they are a bit neater with hair that is a lot less "straggly" and less prone to hang in the lens.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it on the XF300!

Mike I just looked and the Rycote is undeniably a good deadcat but is more than I was looking to pay for one really. The Rode one is included in the bundle, or about £30 separately.

Mark Kappes May 13th, 2011 06:15 AM

Some slight variation on the question. I have an NTG-1 mic on an XF100. If the mic were mounted in the provided bracket, the fur of the dead cat just barely enters the frame in the upper right. But since the bracket is for 25mm mics and the Rode is 22mm, it doesn't really fit. Rode makes a mount, Rode SM5 ($50USD at B&H) that is a shock mount and has a pole that fits into the Canon mounting bracket. This has the effect of raising the mic just enough that it doesn't enter the frame.

Click link to see the mount.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/463089-REG/Rode_SM5_SM5_Shotgun_Microphone.html

Regards,

Syeed Ali May 13th, 2011 02:08 PM

Sorry Andy, haven't forgotten, just haven't had the time.

Have taken pics though and will upload them this weekend.

Syeed Ali May 16th, 2011 12:23 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Here goes.....

first pic:
I have 3 microphones.
Senheisser M<66
NGT2
NGT3

Rest of the pics show the NGT2 on the XF300.

Syeed Ali May 16th, 2011 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got this from Rode.

Syeed Ali May 16th, 2011 12:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And used it like this in the first picture.

Until someone told me a better way of using it (second and third pics).

Syeed Ali May 16th, 2011 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also got this from rode as well. I don't really use it much as the wireless receiver is usually located there.

Syeed Ali May 16th, 2011 12:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
While I'm taking pictures......

I also got this cube thing which allows me to add three bits of equipment. I used to use this all the time until I got the shoulder mount from Olav.

If you do buy it, make sure you buy spare connector bits as well as they will break if they fall on the floor.

Syeed Ali May 16th, 2011 12:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and lastly, Olavs shoulder mount.

Used it on both the XHA1 and the XF300.

I've spent a lot of money on various shoulder mount systems and Olavs' one is the best one for what I do and also the cheapest.

Pic shows part of the bracket that's attached to the camera. I connect the 2nd receiver there.

Hope the above info helps and sorry it took so long to post up.

Andy Solaini May 17th, 2011 06:03 AM

Many thanks for the pictures. I will definitely get the mount thing with the mic.

Andy S