XF100 in da house at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 12th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Major Player

XF100 in da house

What a lovely little machine. First impressions:
1) Very sturdy feel for such a light camera
2) Fold out LCD screen is beautiful
3) Battery does not arrive charged
4) Camera refused to even format a 4GB non-UDMA card I have (said media is incompatible!)
5) Must. Read. Manual. :D

Uploaded a test clip to Vimeo, but it's queued for processing. Will post a note when it's up if anybody cares.
Attached Thumbnails
XF100 in da house-photo.jpg  
Old May 12th, 2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: XF100 in da house

Old May 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks for posting! Yes, all XF series camcorders need UDMA cards, that's a requirement.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I picked up a xf100 last week, before that I only had experiences with consumer camcorders and the JVC HM100. The XF100 blows the JVC OUT OF THE WATER. I LOVE this xf100, I wish I never purchased the HM100... :(

What i love about the XF 100:
-using CF cards with two slots, and with the cool doors
-being able to use $36 8500mah knock off batteries that lasted for more than 5 hours with the camera turned on
-decent built in mics, with a built in audio control cover so controls are not accidentally changed during transport
-the power save button comes in handy
-fast power up and down
-short loading time between recording button is pushed to stop the record, and pushed again to resume recording
-easy, easy to use manual controls via the custom dial and buttons (i was on full auto all the time with the JVC because of crappy controls)
-easy to use zebra and peaking
-customizable buttons
-beautiful LCD screen

Well, the list goes on. :)

Last edited by Sam Young; May 13th, 2011 at 09:34 AM.
Sam Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Go Cycle

I think Chris Hurd was 100% correct. I used my new XF-100 this week and after duplicating the profiles from my XF-300, I am hard-pressed to really see a BIG difference, if any, in the quality of the picture.

. I think this is a camera, by virtue of its size, I will use more often

. I boosted the color matrix setting in GAIN to #25 for outdoor shots plus Cine 1 mode.

. The lens is better than I imagined. Truthfully, If someone told me it is an L-series, I would believe them

. Good News: NO INTERLINE TWITTER or SHIMMERING like the XF-300 after scaling. To me, this is a big plus not watching horizontal/vertical lines shimmer.

.The DYNAMIC stabilizer tends to wobble a bit more than I would want thus emulating or magnifyfing the dreaded "Jell-O" look of a CMOS chip when walking. The REGULAR setting is the proper way to go and the REGULAR setting seems better than the XF-300, though this may be because of the smaller form-factor of the XF-100 compared to the LARGE XF-300.

.One must purchase the Canon WD-58W for a wide angle and not purchase or use the prior "58" model used in the HS/HF/M series as you will get vignetting with the latter at wide angle.

.The weak point for me in the EVF. I had to adjust the contrast. It is also MUCH smaller than the EVF on the XF-300, which I was used to.
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Maller View Post
What a lovely little machine. First impressions:
1) Very sturdy feel for such a light camera
2) Fold out LCD screen is beautiful
3) Battery does not arrive charged
4) Camera refused to even format a 4GB non-UDMA card I have (said media is incompatible!)
5) Must. Read. Manual. :D

Uploaded a test clip to Vimeo, but it's queued for processing. Will post a note when it's up if anybody cares.
Steve, how is it with fast moving footage and vertical lines? How objectionable is the rolling shutter?
John M. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 07:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John M. Kim View Post
Steve, how is it with fast moving footage and vertical lines? How objectionable is the rolling shutter?
I haven't had a chance to test this yet. I'll leave it up to others. I primarily shoot interviews and stage presentations and the like. Not a lot of movement there. :)
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Pretty exciting! Can't wait to get my hands on one!

Luke
http://www.lukehill.com
Luke Hill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders