Shooting moving water? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 15th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting moving water?

I will be shooting in Yosemite for two weeks with my 305 and wonder what is the best set-up for shooting waterfalls and raging rivers. There will be a lot of fast moving water this year because of all the snow.

Is 30i better than 30 or 60p?

What shutter speeds work best?

Appreciate hearing from those who have done this.

Final product will be blu-ray DVDs and HD downloads.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Shooting moving water?

Hi Bob,

I recently shot in southern New Mexico and the Rio Grande river. It wasn't raging by all accounts but it was still flowing. I personally shot at 24p/1080/50Mbps setting, and it looked pretty good on my NLE LCD screen (haven't had a chance to put it on Blu-Ray or DVD yet).

(Normally at 24p, you'd want to set your shutter at 1/48th speed, to really emulate the film-look.)

I've also shot at 30p and 60p at 720, some for overcranking shots (shutter set at 1/60th). But when we had snowfall this past winter, I set the shutter a bit higher (1/250th?) to really capture the falling snowflakes.

If you have enough CF cards, I'd shoot at various settings, frame rates, and shutter speeds and really see what you like best.

Have fun,
Old May 16th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi

I don't own a XF camcorder (yet) but I've used my XH-A1 filming a lot of running water. My experience is that iterlaced gives a lot more blocking artifacts when there are a lot of small moving details in the picture, for example fast running water, water with small waves or leafs moving in the wind. Probably depending on the fact that interlaced makes every half frame different from the previous/next, stressing the codec and make it break down when there is too much moving details.

The 4:2:2 50Mbps codec on the XF models might handle those situations better compared to the 4:2:0 25Mbps HDV codec, but the XF must also handle a lot more pixels and more color information so it might be a lot to do for the codec anyway.

The only way to be shure is to record some running water in different modes, intelaced and progressive, and check out the result. If it would be me, I would shoot progressive.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Vortex Media

Bob,

Waterfalls and rivers are no big deal for the XF305. You shouldn't have to do anything special or waste time doing testing in advance -- if you normally shoot with proper settings in the first place.

I would recommended 1920x01080 30P @ 1/60. Interlaced should not even be in your consideration unless you enjoy the look of home movies, live sports, or local TV news. If you want a cinematic look, make sure to shoot progressive at full 1920x1080. Set your zebras properly and pay very close attention to exposure on the white water and clouds and you should come back home with some nice footage.

Here's some Yosemite footage I shot one day last spring with my EX1. Wish I'd had more time. You should get some very nice footage with two weeks to spend.

Old May 16th, 2011, 10:28 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Doug,

Thanks for the info. Beautiful footage of Yosemite. Really enjoyed your DVD on the XF305. Big help on learning how to use the camera.
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:43 AM   #6
Trustee

As said on Lula. Lovely video Doug.
Old May 17th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Jensen View Post
I would recommended 1920x01080 30P @ 1/60. Interlaced should not even be in your consideration unless you enjoy the look of home movies, live sports, or local TV news.
If you want to do any slow motion with the waterfalls later use 720p60 at 50Mbps.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
If you want to do any slow motion with the waterfalls later use 720p60 at 50Mbps.
Sounds interesting.

What shutter speed have you used for this?
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Prichard View Post
Doug,

Thanks for the info. Beautiful footage of Yosemite. Really enjoyed your DVD on the XF305. Big help on learning how to use the camera.
I want to thank you Doug also, I just finished watching your xf300/305 DVD's and will adapt them to my xf100 that should be here in the am. what I have found with a lot of posted Vimeo videos in this forum is they were not set for mobile viewing so I can't watch many on my iPhone. I'm going to try a close up test of running water from my sink and also try slow motion with it. Thank you
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:46 PM   #10
Vortex Media

Gerald, I'm glad you liked the DVDs. I hope you recognized some of the locations just down the road from you. Including this video right in your own backyard:
Don't mention the name on here, let's keep it our secret.
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Doug most all of your local shots I recognize they are great. I was looking for a mountain in one of your lake shots. Lol. I hope to shot this weekend or next in the same area for a buddy that rock climbs and he thinks im repealing down half way to shot his climb. Lol we will see about that. My xf100 is waiting for me at home. UPS dropped that and the wide-angle lens off today can't wait to try them out. And I bought a used set of you warming cards they should be there today to. Lol thanks again
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders