Field report and DVD Studio Pro problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old May 22nd, 2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Field report and DVD Studio Pro problem

I filmed a local theater group's play the other night for my very first "real" assignment with the XF100. It took a few minutes to figure out the audio inputs, as I was shooting with a line input from the sound board in input A and my Sennheiser shotgun in input B. One thing to report is that my Sennheiser does not fit in the mic mount (it's too thin). I guess it's easy to wrap it in gaffers tape or something, but I think I'm just going to use my shock mount in the cold shoe.

I shot at 35mbps so that I could get 57 minutes out of my two 16GB cards, knowing that I was transcoding down to DVD for delivery. I was very happy with the overall performance during the filming. I used my $30 OEM battery and it still showed over 50% capacity after 2 hours of runtime. I used autofocus and it worked well. I shot wide open at 1/48 and 0db gain, and that was perfect, along with tungsten white balance.

I used rsync (a built-in Unix utility in OS X) to copy each of the CF card images to my hard drive. Then I used Log and Transfer in FCP to wrap the video in native form to Quicktime (not ProRes). Everything went swimmingly.

But I ran into an interesting problem in DVD Studio Pro. I used the Compressor preset "DVD Best Quality 120 Minutes" setting to transcode to DVD format. Then I created a DVD Studio Pro project to burn the DVD itself. But the DVDSP muxing process error'd out, with very little information other than "Bad Video File Error". Nothing I tried would work. So, on a hunch, I re-encoded (2 hours!!!) the video using a 1-pass encode (to save time), but dropped the VBR data rate a bit (4.6-6.0). And that worked. So I re-encoded overnight with the 2-pass encode using the lower data rates and it worked properly.

I've done hundreds of DVDs and I've never had a problem of this nature. Is there too much data in the files? I'm perplexed. Doesn't seem rational.

Anyway, I'm a happy camper!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders