Additional capture device for XFs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 4th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #1
Old Boot

Additional capture device for XFs?

Does anybody use an additional method of external capturing? I'm a bit leery of just the SD chips. Being a bit belt 'n braces here.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:07 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Additional capture device for XFs?

Have you thought about dual recording to both cards simultaneously? This Double Slot Recording (as Canon call it) was introduced with the latest firmware update.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Nigel,

Is that update out yet? I've been eagerly awaiting it and have a job coming up this week that I'd love to have this extra peace of mind for.

The only update I can find is "Firmware Version 1.0.1.0", which as far as I can see only adds support for additional Lexar cards.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 07:13 AM   #4
Trustee

I have yet to install the new firmware but it does have the dual record function which I will use. The CF cards (not SD) are very reliable. I went with SanDisk 60mbs cards which werent cheap but work without issue. I use a Nexto 250 gig box to backup cards during the shoot. Super fast and gives that extra bit of security.
Had I splurged for the 305, I may have also gone for a Nanoflash but that's way overkill for me right now and would have nearly doubled the cost.
Old June 4th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, the CF cards have been faultless for us as well. Just buy them from the Canon approved/tested list and you should be okay. The updated firmware with redundancy recording is a good idea, too. If I were to go for an external recorder, I'd choose the proven and reliable Nanoflash (also uses just CF cards and also very reliable) or wait for the Sound Devices pix 240, which will record to CF or SSD as ProRes or Avid DNx. I know everyone's excited about the BBC-approved 50Mbps 4:2:2 (re-badged Sony XDCAM HD 422) codec on the XF but I have to say that 50Mbps is nothing to get excited about, really, and you do still get visible artefacting now and then on the XF and Sony's high-end ENG cameras with this codec, so an external recorder isn't actually such a bad upgrade for the XF. However, this is nit-picking and you really shouldn't worry about using CF cards with the built-in encoder.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

The nanoFlash records to XDCAM, correct? In general, how does that compare to ProRes?
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders