DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Any major gripes with XF 300/305? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/496755-any-major-gripes-xf-300-305-a.html)

Graham Bernard June 4th, 2011 12:51 AM

Any major gripes with XF 300/305?

Fence-sitting here nearly at an end, need to crawl out of SD, and seeing that the XFs have been out for nearly a year now(?), I'd be even further more confident if I now heard the "ugly" so I can temper my expectations, make additional purchases and live with it! Having done a review of the camera for our Institue of Videography a year ago, I'm muchly impressed with the ergonomics and form factor AND how the captured files work on SONY Vegas Pro10d.

So, again, I'm after the "ugly".

I realise the shallow DoF isn't that which I could expect with a larger receptor, so I get that.

1) Now, how's the wide? Have you found a "need" to get a wide adaptor? Have you walked into a room and felt that the walls were too near with people just out if shot?

2) I've listened to the evidence of how well the grain noise reducer works with 3 to 6 db. Is this good?

3) I've got 100x100 glass filters, has anybody used this size and found them ok in pairs or triple layers?

4) What Matte Box are you using?

5) I've got the new Frottie 541Pro Lanc. Anybody using it?

6) Anybody miss*interchangeable lens options?

7) How's the extended % extended-reach? Do you use it?

Thanks in advance.

Grazie

Robert Turchick June 4th, 2011 07:01 AM

Re: Any major gripes with XF 300/305?

1) wide is pretty darn good. I do full body greenscreen from about 6 ft without a problem. My space is small! I do have the WA from Canon and it has a bit of fisheye to it but is cool for dramatic shots on the crane or stedicam.

2) haven't really experimented too much. Seems ok at +6, still very useable. Most of my shooting is outdoors or with lights. If it's low light I want to play in, I use my 7D.

3) don't know

4) none

5) I use the varizoom rocker...love it

6) thats why I have a 7D

7) I never use digital zoom...looks horrible to me. The long end of the glass is somewhere around 570mm if I remember right. There have been times I needed more but generally I just pick up the tripod and move closer!

I LOvE this camera and until something really catches my eye, I have no reason to upgrade. The pictures it makes are fantastic.

My only gripes are the power switch and the fact I don't have 2 of them!

Antony Michael Wilson June 4th, 2011 07:57 AM

1) There's a bit of barrel distortion and I do wish it were just a little wider but for a fixed lens, it's very good.

2) It's the best in-camera noise reduction I've seen at any price. Personally, I wouldn't shoot above 3dB gain on this camera unless I had to. It's just not the tool to use for low-ish or low light.

3) I don't know

4) None yet.

5) n/a

6) Only at the wide end. Frankly, I don't know of ANY lenses for 1/3" (or 1/2" for that matter) that come anywhere near to the optical quality of the built-in lens on the XF300/305 so if you could take the lens off I wouldn't know what to put on there. I suppose you might want to use SLR lenses for extreme telephoto but that's not my thing.

7) I would never use this feature on any camera. As Robert says, the zoom range is excellent at the long end, so this is not an issue for us at all.

Frankly, the only major gripe I have with the XF is that the viewfinder is in the wrong place and it needs some rigging to go on the shoulder. Form factor is the big let-down - oh and the power switch.

Andy Solaini June 9th, 2011 07:16 PM

To be honest my only gripe with the XF300 is the size. Of course I knew this when I bought it but travelling overseas quite a bit the size of the XF300 becomes a bit of an issue. For example taking it as carry on baggage on a plane. For this reasons I now have an XF100 as well. This combo costs me around £8000 but at least I have two camera now!

I find it wide enough. In fact I was surprised how wide it does go. I plan to film a lot in aircraft cockpits and although I have yet to do so I am sure the XF300 will be spot on the right size at the wide end.
The 18x zoom is a real plus. I looked at the EX1R and it only has 14x and also doesn't go as wide as the XF300.

Something you will hear a lot about is the on/off switch. Please don't pay too much attention it this. Yes it could be designed better but it's really not an issue for me. I even had someone on another forum tell me not to get the XF300 only because of the on/off switch!! I think he much have been a sony fanboy!!

Hope that helps you out some.

Andy S

Lou Bruno June 9th, 2011 07:36 PM

I must agree with ANDY. I sold the XF-300 only because of the size. I tried all types of shoulder brackets etc but to no avail. I then purchased the XF-100. I don't see a several thousand dollar difference in picture quality though, I do miss the 18X lens.

Denny Kyser June 9th, 2011 09:58 PM

I have owned a pair of XH A1's and a pair of EX1's and do not see enough difference in the size to worry about it.
It may be heavier on paper, or scales but hand holding it, it feels lighter.

So far for me, its fantastic and gain at +12 IMO is very usable with out any correction in post.

Graham Bernard June 10th, 2011 05:01 AM

Thanks guys. Deposit given to my supplier yesterday. So, depending on new suppliers coming out from a Tsunami hit Japan, should arrive September. Coming with Croz or Vocas MB and focus puller. Can't wait.... well, guess I'm gonna have too.

Grazie

Martin Campbell June 10th, 2011 09:47 AM

that's a long time to wait Graeme - I ordered mine today via UK company (being shipped from Far East), and supposed to be getting it next week!

Graham Bernard June 10th, 2011 10:49 AM

Am I happy for you? Nope! - well yeah.....

I think shipping 'em in singularly looks like the only way to beat the queue.

Hey ho.. ...

Grazie

Trond Saetre June 10th, 2011 10:53 AM

1. Haven't filmed so much indoors yet, but I can see the need for the wide angle adaptor in the future.
2. I find the 3 and 6db acceptable, as I could see no visible grain in the images.
3, 4, 5. N/A
6. Yes, since I mostly film outdoors/wildlife, I would preferred interchangeable lenses.
7. Never used digital zoom.