Canon .mxf files FCP Problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old June 28th, 2011, 10:36 AM   #1
New Boot

Canon .mxf files FCP Problems

Hi-
I am about to begin editing a film shot on Canon xf300.

I have a hard-drive onto which all of the raw files were dumped, and am now trying to find a way of working with the files.As far as I can make out everything was copied as it should be (i.e with the directory structure intact):
CONTENTS>
CLIPS001>
AA0684>
AA0684.cif
AA0684.xml
AA068401.mxf
AA068401.sif

I have installed the Canon Xf plugin for FCP. Problems arise when I try to use Log & Transfer to transcode the material. I have tried Native/Pro Res 422/ ProRes LT/in fact all of the options from the drop down destination menu, and keep getting the same problem: namely, that about 80-90 percent of files are only transcoded in part. What I mean is that a 5 minute clip ends up as only 10 seconds.

Having researched other means of transcoding the material, I tried doing a transcode using the XDCAM Transfer software from Sony; initially it seemed to work, but then I realised that the transcoded clips are out of sync. Back to the drawing board.

I've tried both methods on 2 computers:

a osx 10.6.6, 2x 2.26Ghz quadcore intel xeon with 10GB DDR3
b osx 10.6.4, 3.06Ghz Intel core 2 duo with 4GB DDr3

both with FCP 7.0.3 and the relevant Canon xf plugins...

Now I'm at a loss as to what to do...

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can start editing this film on FCP?

Thanks!
E.L
Hermann Nietszche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 12:07 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Canon .mxf files FCP Problems

I've found that I must do this overnight, or during a break, with no other programs running except FCP. It basically renders my computer unusable during the transcoding process. Otherwise the same thing can happen where a 5 minute clip comes out short.
Michael Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 01:36 PM   #3
New Boot

This isn't going to help you much...but it is interesting. I use the Canon XF305 with an AVID Media Composer 5.5. I bring the material in through AVID's AMA, transcode to AVID's DNxHD codec and it transcodes the Canon 305 material from a 32 gig drive in less than an hour. It's pretty efficient. I wish I could help with FCP, but I can't!
Larry Hatteberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Trustee

I have a bad habit of trying to use up all my cores on my MP and when I try to L&T my XF files while doing several other things, I get errors. I have learned it's faster to just let it do it's thing and check my email and surf on my phone instead!
Old June 29th, 2011, 11:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

The best & safest way of doing this is to first use Log & Transfer to create a disk image of the card. Then you have a full backup of the card & can mount up that disk image to use for Log & Transfer. I have never had a problem with incomplete copying of clips when importing from a disk image.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 04:11 AM   #6
New Boot

Thanks for your replies.

Problem seems to have been other processes using up the RAM somehow affecting the Log & Transfer.

I reinstalled the OS and now allow Log & Transfer to do it's work alone, and it seems to work fine.

So much for Quadcore whatever!!!
Hermann Nietszche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Herman, please forgive me for pointing this out and as I have been absent from this forum for a while I may be repeating something already covered but hear goes anyway.

Premiere Pro CS5 handles Canon XMF files natively, no rendering just bring them into the time line and edit to your hearts content.

I have been editing up to three tracks of video shot on a XF300 in Prem CS5 on my iMac i7 without any need to render.

Just a thought.

Regards, Cliff Elliott
Cliff Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You don't need to render MXF files in FCP either. I just import using Log & Transfer & then edit the native files.

BTW How does Premiere Pro CS5 handle long clips being in multiple 2GB files?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

No problem with the 2GB files. Once imported into Premiere just select all the files as a group then drag them to the time line and they all line up frame accurate ready to start editing.

I record a weekly meeting for a customer which ranges in length from one to two hours.
As described above the files all drop into line with each other ready for editing, no missed frames, no rendering required it just all works.

Same for multi camera edits.

This is probably sounding like I worship Adobe, couldn't be further from the truth.
Up until six months ago I was using CS3 and no a happy person.

I knew I had to upgrade my hardware and decided to upgrade the software for 64 Bit, I agonised over which way to go, stick with Premiere, look at Avid, maybe Final Cut Pro.

Well after lots of reading about the merits of the new Premiere CS5 I and considering I new the software from the inside out I decided to go with it.

Now coupled with my Canon XF300 cam I could not be happier the two go hand in hand.

Both Canon and Adobe had learnt from the past and offered great new versions of their products.

Regard, Cliff Elliott
Cliff Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders