DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XF100 vs. Sony NX70u (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/497932-canon-xf100-vs-sony-nx70u.html)

Mike Luzansky July 1st, 2011 02:00 AM

Canon XF100 vs. Sony NX70u

I am stuck hard between these two cameras. Clearly availability of the Sony NX70u is much better...however I want to make the right choice

I am shooting videos for travel tourism websites primarily. A lot of which is outdoor activities, hiking, ocean and boating, etc. I also have the HF G10 as a small camera, and I carry a D7000 with me at all times as well.

What would be your suggestions from those that have played with these cameras? I have a ton of experience with the EX1 and EX1R and love the cameras, but they are outside my budget for these projects.

Thank you!

Andrew Purcell July 8th, 2011 01:35 AM

Re: Canon XF100 vs. Sony NX70u

I have the exact same question Mike. Unfortunately this does not seem to be a popular topic for discussion:-(

Mike Beckett July 8th, 2011 02:20 AM

I always think that the person comparing two cameras always posts in the forum of the one they actually want to buy. <grin>

I was faced with the exact same dilemma. In the end, I went for the NX70.

Plus points of NX70
+ SDHC cards (much cheaper than decent CF cards)
+ built in memory
+ 1080 50p (or 60p in the USA)
+ wider lens (26mm versus approx 30mm)
+ waterproof (very useful living in Ireland)
+ available!
+ 2 years Silver Service support (in the EU)
+ Camera "breaks down" to a very discrete size when you remove the XLR handle (not possible with the Canon)

Negative points of NX70:
- Doesn't record at 50Mbps
- No customisable buttons
- Touchscreen interface for a lot of functions
- No customisable picture profiles
- No 3D facilities, if that matters to you (the XF100s can be linked for 3D shooting, somehow)

There were other reasons, but those are the ones that spring to mind. At a very shallow level, I liked the physical look of the Sony!

I do not believe there is an overall "right answer" for this that says one is always better than the other, everyone is different, everyone has their requirements and personal preferences. It is clear that these two cameras are aimed at more or less the same market, as they are the same price (in the UK, at least).

Andrew Purcell July 8th, 2011 04:39 AM

Nice one Mike B, thank you. I lived and surfed in Ireland for a year and can see how the waterproof feature would be beneficial to you. I will be doing a lot of work indoors so waterproof not such a bonus for me. It's very hard to find a definitive answer to this question, and it seems that may be due to both cameras having many comparable features. Thanks for your insight.

Dave Mercer July 8th, 2011 08:03 AM

I'd be curious how they compare in terms of image quality/low light/in camera stabilization/etc.

Hard to do an objective study I suppose ...

Gerald OConnor July 8th, 2011 12:59 PM

I have owned both the xf100 and nx70 also the xa10. I agree with Mike B about differences between the xf100 and the nx70. I feel the nx70 is in between the two canons but closer to the xa10 than the xf100. The xf100 has more manual control than the Sony and feels more like a pro camera. Out of the 3 cameras the xf100 is the best camera for the money and for a more advanced pro camera man. The nx70 out of the box in auto was great love the macro and has the best OIS out of all cameras I have used. The canon also in standard OIS is great but it's not a Sony. I now have the g10 and will get another xf100 for my A type camera. I didn't like the .mxf format it felt like double the workflow but the 4.2.2 codec is awesome for editing I just need to learn editing better. People have been posting there CP settings on here with great results so I will give the xf100 another shot.

Honestly there all great cameras and the problem is it's hard to really choose the best one.

Andrew Purcell July 8th, 2011 08:02 PM

With your assistance and that of Ron Evans also I have made the decision to go with the xf100 and have ordered it (good availability here in oz) @ $3500. Thank you all for your assistance with this decision, I have literally been hovering over the buy button for both cameras on different occasions over the past month.. I hope to be of assistance to others in the xf thread of this forum in the future:-) Can't wait to go on a spree at B and H when i'm in New York for my honeymoon in September!

Paul Cronin December 1st, 2011 08:51 AM

Just add my 2 cents here. I have taken delivery of the NX70U and was very disappointed in the picture quality and lack of control. So I am sending the camera back and going for the XF100.

I use this as a C-camera on shoots with EX3 and 2/3" cameras and need better picture then the NX70U offers. Also want some control over the picture. To me it looks like Sony pushed the NX70U out the door before is was finished. Hope to be surprised with the XF100 quality.

Sam Young December 1st, 2011 06:23 PM

I currently owned the XF 100 (having owned the JVC HM100), and have used the NX70u for a week. Needless to say, the XF100 is much, much, much better than any of the other two camcorders. In my opinion, the NX70 feels like the consumer camcorder at "prosumer" prices, the zoom rocker is basically useless, plus, it records in AVCHD, which is a major negative for me. I travel a lot with my camcorder, and the XF 100 is the best camcorder to travel with out of the three. Wait and spend the money for the xf 100, I do not think you will regret it.

Paul Cronin December 1st, 2011 08:43 PM

Thanks for your input Sam,

I have returned the NX70U. Be nice to test an XF100 before going through the same exercise but they are hard to come by. I am told they are not in the US till the new year.

Sam Young December 2nd, 2011 12:40 PM

I am very sure you will be satisfied with the XF 100, for a small travel professional camcorder, I don't think anything else can beat it in terms of recording codec/format, ease of import with editing programs, controls/buttons useability, image quality, build quality, etc.

One good point with the NX70u is that the handle, mic mount can be taken off to make it even more compact. My old HM100 had that ability as well, and even though I travel with my camcorder, I never once took the handle/mic mount off while traveling. As long as your travel pack and house the camcorder comfortably, I do not think you will need to take the handle/mic mount off. Unless you wish your camcorder to look less "pro" in sensitive situations.

This online store claims to have the xf100 in stock, I have never ordered from them:

Canon 4888B001 - XF100 - Canon Mini Dv Camcorders - HD Professional Camcorder

Paul Cronin December 2nd, 2011 01:31 PM

Thanks Sam for your input.

I try to buy from DVinfo sponsors to keep the whole show on the road.

Tom Roper December 2nd, 2011 01:57 PM

Tapeworks Texas had the XF100 a few weeks ago...the XA10 is the AVCHD version with removable handle.

Paul Cronin December 2nd, 2011 04:03 PM

Thanks Tom appreciate the lead.