Case for xf100/105 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old July 21st, 2011, 05:30 AM   #1
New Boot

Case for xf100/105

G'day,

Would any one care to share some info on what case they are using for their xf100/105 and what their thoughts are on it. I am a little overwhelmed by the amount of cases on the website. I would like to store my xf with the shotgun (Rode NTG-2) attached and would also like some storage for a couple of wireless systems and other essentials like duct tape.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew
Andrew Purcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 08:27 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: Case for xf100/105

I am using a Pelican case 1430-004-110. It may be a problem for a mounted mic but it holds everything that comes with the camera, such as the battery charger and all the cables plus I have 3 batteries, several CF cards, CF reader etc. There are several version of this but the one for camera equipment comes with padded dividers and lid organizer.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00127QGIK
It is more of a hand carry case but offers unbelievable protection.

As much as I like it, I am also looking for a minimal bag with shoulder strap for light level protection when on long walks etc.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.
Robert Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2011, 09:27 PM   #3
New Boot

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your reply. That case looks very secure and also good value for money. I think I would also like something with a shoulder strap and maybe a soft shell with padding inside. I will definatley look at purchasing this case if I have to travel overseas of interstate on a job. I will be sure and let you know what I decide on. I think B and H has a good range of the style of bag you are after for you long walks.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old July 23rd, 2011, 05:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use a Pelican 1510 roller case with the padded dividers. I'm able to fit an XF100 and an XA10 both with their shockmounts attached, lying on their sides. I detach and store the two AT875R short shotgun mics in a separate section of the 1510. This leaves me room for extra batteries for both cameras, a Z96 LED light, 3 Yamaha CX digital audio recorders with lavaliers, a deadcat for one of the shotguns, sennheiser headphones, microfiber cloth, a homemade lcd viewfinder shade, and a memory card case.

The 1510 is good if you travel a lot, as it meets the carry on baggage restrictions of most airlines.

I also have a Thinktank Ultralight backpack that is sized to fit perfectly into the 1510, so as soon as I can figure out how to arrange everything to fit into that, I'll probably be using that in the 1510 instead of the Pelican's padded dividers
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 06:38 AM   #5
New Boot

I think I am coming around to the idea of a larger case with solid exterior. Having wheels would be a bonus when arriving on set with a tripod and some other lighting. I shoot with a DSLR also, so to being able to keep both my xf and 7D in the one case is very appealing. I also like the look of the dividers in the 1510. The Thinktank ultralight backpack and 1510 looks like a sweet combo for travel. Thanks for your information Todd!
Old July 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I was getting ready to travel by air with my XF300 and went looking for something that would fit in an overhead bin as a carry-on. I ended up with a Kata CC-195. It's too big for the 105 by itself, but if you're putting other gear in with it, maybe it would fit the bill.
I can fit the XF300, mics, battery, and a few other misc things in it. It also has a cart that's available for roller use.

So, if you're travelling by air and don't want to check it - think about carry-on restrictions...

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Purcell View Post
I think I am coming around to the idea of a larger case with solid exterior. Having wheels would be a bonus when arriving on set with a tripod and some other lighting. I shoot with a DSLR also, so to being able to keep both my xf and 7D in the one case is very appealing. I also like the look of the dividers in the 1510. The Thinktank ultralight backpack and 1510 looks like a sweet combo for travel. Thanks for your information Todd!

Not too happy with the padded dividers that came with the Pelican 1510. For some weird reason, they don't make the entire interior of the compartment fully velcroable (is that a word?), only certain parts of it, so it limits the amount of customization that you can do. That's why I'm thinking to try to fit my gear into the Ultralight (because the interior of the backpack is much more customizable) and transport the Ultralight in the 1510 hardcase.

I also shoot with DSLRs (5dmkII, 7D, 60D), so if you can list specifically which gear/lenses you're thinking of carrying in the case, I can try to match it with my gear and see if it would fit in my Ultralight/1510 combo and maybe post a photo or two of how everything is arranged.
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2011, 05:17 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi:

I use a Crumpler Cupcake 7500,

Cupcake 7500 - Crumpler

It fits the basic: Camera and shotgun mic in the main compartment, ND filter, cleaning kit and a lapel mic in the top and cables and extra CF cards in the outer pocket. But it doesn't close properly with the shotgun mic mounted.

The bag is great, soft and comfortable for run'n'gun with whole day autonomy. For longer travel it fits exactly half a Ryanair-compatible suitcase with wheels, leaving room for the extras you might need in special situations, laptop, chargers etc.

BR, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:23 AM   #9
Major Player

Another vote for the Think Tank Photo Ultralight backpack. A great bag with extra room for my gear. I have two of these, and my son has one for his T2i and related gear.

For going "quick and light" I just got a Think Tank Photo Urban Disguse 35 V2.0. It is a vertical case that does not look like a photo / video case, and can take alternate shoulder straps (a big deal for me). My xf100 fits vertically with the mic off. The mic holder fits (barely) with the dividers rearranged. There is a separate small laptop compartment. Extra specialized pockets fit on the sides (one size works well for a Litepanels Micro Pro LED light.

If folks like the Crumpler style bag, Think Tank Photo also makes a series of this style called Retrospective.

I will try to get photos posted.
Richard D. George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I use for my XF this one:
H P R C | HPRC 3500
It fits my XF-300, and i love this case because of the stability.
Markus Oginero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #11
New Boot

Hi guys,

Sorry about the long delay after having started the thread. I finally settled on the CineBag Camera Daddy bag. This is slightly large for the xf100, however with all of the dividers if comes with, it offers a lot of flexibility. Besides, once I have all of my accessories inside it is pretty well full. It's a great looking bag and offers a lot of flexibility with set up and plenty of protection. Sits around the $200 mark, but well worth it given it protects almost $5000 worth of equipment. I have been having an issue with B and H with this bag so will be purchasing it elsewhere. Thanks everyone for their input!
Old September 24th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #12
Major Player

For a really alternative idea when traveling light, I am using this:

It's an Ape Case - they get rave reviews, seem to be very solid quality, etc. After completely re-organizing the dividers, the main compartment is divided into side by side large and small areas. The large holds my XF100, the smaller area holds batteries, wireless, etc. My hypercardioid plus other small things go in the front pocket.

I have a medium Lowe Pro backpack when I have to carry more stuff, but for just camera, hypercardioid, wireless, and batteries, the Ape gets it done - $38 - nope, not a typo - $38. I got the ACPRO1200 - they also have a smaller and a larger version.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #13
New Boot

I was looking for a new bag for my Canon XF100 and found this thread.

My wife (photographer) also wanted a new bag for 2 DSLR's and various lenses and she liked the look of the think tank accelerator. So I ordered one for her and used it to see how my kit fits. The XF100 fits easily with the boom mic attached and there is still room for my DSLR with lens attached.

There are various other pockets for all the different things I need and I'd say that it would take most of a videographers kit, depending on exactly how much you need to carry. You can even slide a tripod in the side of the bag.

At first the bag looks big but it sits nicely on the back and is very comfortable. I will be ordering another one for my video kit!
Ryan Wallis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders