DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF100 Test Footage (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/499163-xf100-test-footage.html)

Mike Marriage August 3rd, 2011 02:58 PM

XF100 Test Footage

I bought an XF100 last week for a hike I am filming next month. I thought I'd put it through its paces on a trip to Kent at the weekend including a cameo from a Spitfire I flew with over the white cliffs!

I used Alan Roberts "film" settings, details can be found here:

Tests and settings on a Canon XF100/105E

Everything was shot 1080p25 apart from one slow-mo shot. It was all 50Mbps. I did a gently grade in FCP as Alan's settings are deliberately quite flat. His settings appear to work nicely as far as I could tell.

In my opinion the camera performs very well for it's size and weight, although there are a few operational issues I have with it. The video's on my blog along with more comments, I hope it is of use to others considering it. I found quite a bit of footage from the camera on the web but most of it was very poorly shot. Please watch it full screen at 1080p.

If you need a truly small camcorder that still produces a "broadcast quality" image, I think the XF100 is currently the best out there.

Blog - Canon XF100 Test

Mark Williams August 3rd, 2011 09:58 PM

Re: XF100 Test Footage

Very nice looking video.

Deborah Gallegos September 2nd, 2011 03:01 AM

Fantastic test video. I've been very much coveting the XF100 for awhile now, but it's always backordered or out of stock. I've also considered an XA10 as a stop gap or 2nd camera.

I'd really like to see some indoor shots in a dimly-lit interior, too.

Thanks, Mike!

Deborah

Rob Katz September 2nd, 2011 12:50 PM

mike-

thank you for the posting of the xf100 footage.

i am also drawn to the xf100 for its size, codec and resulting image quality.

i took your suggestion and watched on the big screen/1080.

your two minutes of footage pointed to some obvious strengths:

-your girlfriends skin tone was absolutely lovely
(which i'm sure it all her doing but the camera did a good job replicating!)

-the colors! black rocks, stained glass, grass fields.

and at the same time, no camera is everything:

-purple fringing in very high contrast shots (1:20)

for me, i would need an afternoon of handling to know for sure but when the xf100 is locally back in stock, i'm going to need to check it out.

i hope your shoot went well.

i'm sure we would all welcome a glimpse at some "paid for" xf100 footage.

again, thanks for sharing.

be well

rob
smalltalk productions

Michael Fousie September 2nd, 2011 01:46 PM

As part of testing my new baby, an XF100, I shot a little video on the work of Oregon Coast Shoreline Education here in Bandon, OR . US
The first scene is a GoPro shot and the rest is with XF100. I didn't do any grading or sharpening on this short preview. But, if you're contemplating this camera this video might help your decision making. I think once I tweak the camera to my taste I'm going to be even happier. All the video is off the camera mic except for the obvious wireless talking head and the whale sound.

LightCurve on the Road

mike

Deborah Gallegos September 2nd, 2011 03:14 PM

Hmmm... is anyone using the XF100 for wedding/event videography?

Deborah

Ivan Hurtado September 2nd, 2011 03:58 PM

I have my first XF-100 wedding on the 24th of September and it's going to be quite an experience, mixing with a 5d and a Gh2!

Deborah Gallegos September 2nd, 2011 08:06 PM

Good luck, Ivan!

I'll be anxious for you to post some of your wedding footage here :)

Deborah

Steve Maller September 3rd, 2011 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Fousie (Post 1679430)
As part of testing my new baby, an XF100, I shot a little video on the work of Oregon Coast Shoreline Education here in Bandon, OR . US
The first scene is a GoPro shot and the rest is with XF100. I didn't do any grading or sharpening on this short preview. But, if you're contemplating this camera this video might help your decision making. I think once I tweak the camera to my taste I'm going to be even happier. All the video is off the camera mic except for the obvious wireless talking head and the whale sound.

LightCurve on the Road

mike

Beautiful work, and a beautiful place.