Want to get a screw on ND filter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 5th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Want to get a screw on ND filter

I want to get a screw-on ND filter for my XF100 - never used one before - any recommendations? I want something decent enough to not degrade image quality. If you're using one of these, what have you found useful?

multicoating? what level - .6? .9? higher? variable?

brands? <$50 OK or do I need to spend more?

Thanks for any input.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Want to get a screw on ND filter

You've got to be so careful when using filters with 1/3 inch chipped camcorders because of the very short focal lengths bringing any tiny blemish on either side of the filter into the shot. So as this filter will be your new front element, make sure you buy one with the best multi-coating you can find.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Major Player

You should have a Tiffen or Schneider 58mm UV protector or clear filter anyway so if you run into something or something runs into you, you wreak the filter, not the lens. As for the ND, I'd probably suggest a ND.6.....2 stops should cover most of your applications. Also, if you are doing a lot of outdoor work, a circular polarizer should also be in your "tool box".

Jim Martin
Filmtools.com
Jim Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks! I found a B+W 06 ND multicoated for around $40, and a non-coated Tiffen UV plus polarizer kit for about $60 that I will be ordering soon.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
Thanks! I found a B+W 06 ND multicoated for around $40, and a non-coated Tiffen UV plus polarizer kit for about $60 that I will be ordering soon.
I use a 0.9 ND filter, and set the gain to -6.0dB. This way on a sunny day you can turn off the automatic ND filter and just use the aperture to adjust exposure. I don't think a 0.6 ND filter will quite do the job.
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders