Editing XF100 footage in Sony Vegas Movie studio HD 11. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 11th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing XF100 footage in Sony Vegas Movie studio HD 11.

I have SONY Vegas Movie Studio 11 HD editing software, and was wondering if anyone has edited Canon XF 100 footage on that program. I would shoot usually in 1920x1080 50i. Just thinking of possible purchase of an XF100 but note it has .mxf files not my usual .mts as on SONY. Although its MPEG 2 just dont quite understand the file format difference.
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Editing XF100 footage in Sony Vegas Movie studio HD 11.

Looking at Sony's web site, it doesn't appear so:
Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11 Technical Specifications

It says, Supported File Formats

Opens: AAC, AA3, AIFF, AVI, BMP, CDA, FLAC, GIF, JPEG, MP3, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MVC, OGG, OMA, PCA, PNG, RealMediaŽ, QuickTimeŽ, SND, SFA, W64, WAV, WDP, WMA, WMV

It would need to specifically say Canon mxf. Even Sony's Vegas Pro 10 doesn't do it - it specifies "Sony MXF." No joy there - yet. I'm sure it will be eventually supported by all the major players. Premiere Pro 5.5 supports the Canon MXF files natively. That's what you want to look for. Try to avoid having to go through some time-consuming conversion process just to start editing the files.

Also, Movie Studio is a consumer, sub-$100 program. You need to look at something like Premiere Pro 5.5 or Final Cut Pro (not X yet) to edit the files. There are a few others, but these seem to be the main ones.

Larry
Larry Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Larry thats a great reply just the info I wanted. I saw MPEG 2 and thought OK, but it must be the codec that determines the file suffix and if Pro 10 won't do it, sure a hell VMS 11HD won't either, cheers.
Warren Eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Major Player

I have had Vegas 8 and 10 since getting the XF100 in March. Both handle the mxf files. With the lower end Vegas products, you could look into getting a Cineform product that would allow you to convert the mxf files to avi.

Pat
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Ok... Just looked on the "What happens in Vegas..." forum here and found this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/what-hap...-pro-10-a.html

I truly hadn't heard that it was working. NO ONE that I've read was able to get it to work - just didn't look hard enough, I guess... They perhaps had an upgrade to Vegas?

Anyway, what Pat was saying about Cineform would work, too, but then you're into the extra expense of the Cineform product, as well as the time for converting.

Sorry...

Larry
PS: Here's a discussion from May, 2011 on the official Sony Vegas Pro forum. It seems it's a little cludgy to do it on Vegas Pro, and it takes quite a machine to edit it, but it sorta works. There is surprising little info out on Vegas Pro and the Canon XF cameras... http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/...ssageID=763370

Last edited by Larry Becker; October 12th, 2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Added link to discussion forum
Larry Becker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders