DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   XF-100 Raw samples? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/501676-xf-100-raw-samples.html)

Sebastian Alvarez October 16th, 2011 01:22 PM

XF-100 Raw samples?

I'm trying to find raw samples of XF-100s (or 105), just short clips that are not recompressed on Vimeo or YouTube. So far searching for "raw footage" on this forum I found a thread with samples from the XF-300, which I'm downloading anyway, but since I'm trying to determine if I buy an XF-100 or not, I would really like raw footage from that camera mostly.

If possible, I would prefer NTSC footage because if I throw PAL on the Edius timeline it will do frame blending and it won't look the same.

Does anybody know where can I get some?

Lou Bruno October 16th, 2011 05:36 PM

Re: XF-100 Raw samples?

I have observed that material before purchasing my XF-300 from this BB. I "loved" my XF-300 but it was just too big for a handheld camera and I was always grabbing my smaller Canon cameras.

I sold the XF-300 and purchased the XF-100. After adding different profiles, I have to be honest. I can't really tell a BIG, if any, difference in picture quality between the XF-300 and the XF-100. As a matter of fact, either did members of my video association. Granted, I miss some of the features of the XF-300, like the long 18X lens, but other than that, the picture quality is NOT a $3200 difference in price.

Anyway, here is some footage from the XF-100 I used when first purchasing the camera. Yes...it's on YOU TUBE, but you can still observe good quality.

Air Power Museum-B-29 Superfortress - YouTube

Sebastian Alvarez October 16th, 2011 06:07 PM

Have you also compared low light performance? I was very surprised to see the low light comparison stills on slashcam.com and see that the XF100 seems to have far better low light performance than the XF300 when it should be the other way around. Actually it also seems better than my AX2000, which seems to be about the same as the XF300.

I have a doubt about the XF100 and XF105 because at first I understood that only the 105 saved timecode in the file, but then I read someone posting a review saying that the XF100 saves timecode as well, so can you clear that up for me? What I mean is, does it have a free run timecode that you can set at the current time, so it will save the time in the file to make multicamera sync easier? Or only the XF105 does that?

Thanks

Lou Bruno October 17th, 2011 06:46 AM

.Yes...there is time code on the XF-100 but unlike the XF-105...no timecode jamming.

.Lowlight: Looks the same to me as the XF-300. I only go as high as 9db in lowlight. I then adjust the picture brightness etc. (grading) in post. This limits the amount of grain rather than relying on a higher DB gain.

Sebastian Alvarez October 17th, 2011 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno (Post 1689278)
.Yes...there is time code on the XF-100 but unlike the XF-105...no timecode jamming.

.Lowlight: Looks the same to me as the XF-300. I only go as high as 9db in lowlight. I then adjust the picture brightness etc. (grading) in post. This limits the amount of grain rather than relying on a higher DB gain.

I did a search for timecode jamming because I didn't know what it was, and if I understand correctly, it's when you use it on site to sync two cameras perfectly, rather than in post? So what you're saying is, the XF100 saves a free run, user specified timecode in the files, but it doesn't have a way to be sync'ed to another XF100 to do 3D for example?

Gareth Burleigh October 17th, 2011 11:51 AM

Lou can I ask where you have found different profiles or have you just set them to your own liking?

Ive searched Google without success and just wondered if you could recommend anywhere

Regards

Gareth

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno (Post 1689152)
I have observed that material before purchasing my XF-300 from this BB. I "loved" my XF-300 but it was just too big for a handheld camera and I was always grabbing my smaller Canon cameras.

I sold the XF-300 and purchased the XF-100. After adding different profiles, I have to be honest. I can't really tell a BIG, if any, difference in picture quality between the XF-300 and the XF-100. As a matter of fact, either did members of my video association. Granted, I miss some of the features of the XF-300, like the long 18X lens, but other than that, the picture quality is NOT a $3200 difference in price.

Anyway, here is some footage from the XF-100 I used when first purchasing the camera. Yes...it's on YOU TUBE, but you can still observe good quality.

Air Power Museum-B-29 Superfortress - YouTube

David Dixon October 17th, 2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gareth Burleigh (Post 1689374)
Lou can I ask where you have found different profiles or have you just set them to your own liking?

Ive searched Google without success and just wondered if you could recommend anywhere

Regards

Gareth

Just do a search on this forum. Lou has posted several custom picture settings - as numbers to enter, not as a file to download. Just customize from there. I started out using his settings, but I think I have more amateur tastes - I pump up the sharpness, saturation, etc. :-)

You can also shoot totally flat and adjust in post if you prefer.

Lou Bruno October 17th, 2011 04:25 PM

Picture profiles are really a matter of taste and can change rapidly in use depending on the lighting situation. I have increased the sharpness a little on some of my settings. I like to keep the color saturation between 20-25 because I notice oversaturation of REDS after the #25 setting which effects the hue too much for the skin tones even though I lower "R" in the setting. Again, profiles are really a guideline to get the user in "the ballpark" and should be adjusted to one liking.

Note Bene: It is ESSENTIAL to have a calibrated monitor when adjusting colors, hue saturation etc-GRADING-in post.